What's new

Nicks while shaving?

How common is it to get nicks while shaving? Seems some members get cuts quite a bit. I started with a mild de razor a GC .68 and have progressed to a Lupp .72 and a GC .84 oc and have only nicked myself once. Get weepers on a regular basis though. I do gave a goatie so I am probably avoiding trouble areas. Just curious. Thanks

For me it depends on the razor, blade and my technique. If I use my Schick Injector, I get no nicks, weepers and very little irritation. That razor is excellent, and I can basically shave drunk and half asleep with it. 🤣 The first time I tried an Astra blade in one of my DE razors I got a lot of cuts, so I have not tried one again since. It got me really good above my lip. If I use a Wilkinson Sword, Gillette SP, KCG or a Shaverboy blade, I get an excellent shave with no drama. Then again, I have not experimented with that many different blades. For me using a DE razor requires a little more effort not to cut myself but I can usually get it done without problems. Lately however my technique has sucked so I seem to be getting more weepers than before even using one of my trusty Gillette Tech razors. 😡

Practice makes perfect! :thumbsup:

How common is it to get nicks while shaving? Seems some members get cuts quite a bit. I started with a mild de razor a GC .68 and have progressed to a Lupp .72 and a GC .84 oc and have only nicked myself once. Get weepers on a regular basis though. I do gave a goatie so I am probably avoiding trouble areas. Just curious. Thanks
With good technique you should not be getting any nicks or weepers. Occasionally you may make an error through excess speed or mishandling but that should be very rare.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I get the rare odd nick & it is operator error, like half a sleep in the morning or over confident when a shave is going great. Weepers are more a common issue for folks when a blemish gets sheared off or over shaving a area ,and a weeper or a round tiny red dot lets you know it is close enough a shave in that area & to move on. My skin has small bumps or rough patch areas on the neck where the skin is rougher than other parts of my face so to much pressure will produce a weeper or creeper later on. A good soap slickness will help the the razor glide better eliminating a lot of weepers also. I do not get weepers hardly and if I do it is usually going for a close shave and over shaving a area.

Last edited:
Been wet shaving for years, main tool is a straight. The other night I used a de and guess what, I nicked myself 🙂 however experienced you are and whatever razor you use, its a sharp bit of metal that you are running along your soft and delicate skin, its bound to happen now and again.

I've only been at it for about 8 months, and haven't nicked myself in a while (jinx). If I do get any blood now, it is very minor and stops by the time I rinse. Usually the result of going too fast, pressing too hard, or too many passes.

My last (worst) nick happened when I got careless with my razor, came in too high, and jammed the blade into the edge of my nostril. Bled pretty good.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My last bloodletting.

It was 09 August 2022. There I was, on my final XTG pass that morning, shaving with one of my much loved "Bengall" SRs. Okay, the lather was a little dry, my shave angle was rather steep, I was not stretching my skin, my pressure was more than normal and I was thinking of other things. That is still no excuse for this SR to bite me. It must have been a faulty SR.

I've been DE shaving for ages (decades) and I almost never get a nick, much less even a weeper but I caught myself earlier today. I loaded a fresh Bic Chrome (great blades for me) into a 1964 Super Speed I've had forever. Fine shave going until I just slipped a little at the corner of my mouth and there it was. Nothing a little cold water and alum couldn't handle when I was finished but it happens, especially if you're momentarily distracted or lose focus. Ultimately, it was a terrific BBS shave with just a little blood to keep me humble.

If you're regularly getting a lot of weepers (and/or nicks), you may want to take another look at your technique. Maybe you're using too much pressure. Maybe you're throwing in too many passes. Maybe you're overly buffing. Maybe your shave angle is too steep/shallow. Maybe you didn't prep your skin enough. Maybe you should prep with hot/cold water before you shave. Maybe your lather is too dry. In short, there are myriad reasons why you may be cutting yourself, but if you tighten up your technique, you'll soon get good bloodless shaves.

Also, keep in mind a BBS may not be for everyone. Unless your job/religion prohibits it, there's nothing wrong with a DFS, a CCS, or a SAS. Not everyone should chase after a BBS with every shave. Again, there's nothing wrong with those who don't want to or can't achieve a BBS every shave.

I used to get them often enough not to notice. A little bay rum burns it shut while you're busy calling down the wrath of angry ancient pagan gods. But as time went by, my technique improved and equipment got dialed in and it happened less and less. A few things help me. I have a full beard [ducks] which let's me avoid all the trouble spots. And I'm on blood thinners. That forces me to pay strict attention to what I'm doing.

Top Bottom