What's new

Nicks during head shave

Hey everyone,

I have been silently creeping this forum for a couple of weeks now, trying to take in all the knowledge I can, and this is my first post!

I have been buzzing my head to the lowest setting for 13 years, and finally decided to try shaving it right down. I have been wet shaving my face for 4 years now, so I only had to invest in a new razor....I'm nowhere near confident enough to attempt shaving my head with a DE yet. I started out with a Mach 3, and was getting pretty good results with that. The only problem was shaving over some moles I had, which would start to bleed. The cost of the replacement cartridges quickly added up, so I decided to jump all in and purchase a Leaf razor. I use 2 Astra SS blades in it, and now I'm constantly nicking myself. The nicks seem to show up in different areas every time, so I don't think it's the shape of my head that's the problem....and they don't appear to be traditional razor nicks. I just start getting tiny circles of blood randomly popping up. Any ideas? Could I be applying too much pressure with the razor?

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have been head shaving for ages. I use to use a straight razor but I had a stroke so I moved over to a DE. i still have a few problems with control but good enough now to get the job done. I was a bit fatigued and stressed out today, I think that is why I gave myself a nasty nick today. I think that your issue is you maybe going a bit hard. I usually do two passes and a tidy up on my head. What I don’t get first pass I get second pass. Then final stage I use my hand to tell me where I may need to clean up. It works for me. I have some lumps and bumps on my head from a serious motorcycle accident many decades ago. With time you get to know the contour of your own head and learn to adjust your shave to your circumstances.

I wish you all the best with it. Hang in there!

Sounds like weepers....
To start I would only go with the grain so check your growth pattern. For me this is as simple as pouring water over my head - starting from the highest point downwards.
Does it happens always? Like no matter if you use a fresh blade or a used one?
And as always try to ease off the pressure.

Sounds like weepers....
To start I would only go with the grain so check your growth pattern. For me this is as simple as pouring water over my head - starting from the highest point downwards.
Does it happens always? Like no matter if you use a fresh blade or a used one?
And as always try to ease off the pressure.

I'm sorry, is there a difference between a cut/nick/weeper? I just assumed they all meant blood being drawn.
It doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's a new blade or one that has been used a couple of times, they still show up, but not always in the same place.

I have been head shaving for ages. I use to use a straight razor but I had a stroke so I moved over to a DE. i still have a few problems with control but good enough now to get the job done. I was a bit fatigued and stressed out today, I think that is why I gave myself a nasty nick today. I think that your issue is you maybe going a bit hard. I usually do two passes and a tidy up on my head. What I don’t get first pass I get second pass. Then final stage I use my hand to tell me where I may need to clean up. It works for me. I have some lumps and bumps on my head from a serious motorcycle accident many decades ago. With time you get to know the contour of your own head and learn to adjust your shave to your circumstances.

I wish you all the best with it. Hang in there!

Oh I'll definitely be hanging in there!! The feel/look of a freshly shaved head is something I wish I discovered 13 years ago!

I'm sorry, is there a difference between a cut/nick/weeper? I just assumed they all meant blood being drawn.
It doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's a new blade or one that has been used a couple of times, they still show up, but not always in the same place.

Oh I'll definitely be hanging in there!! The feel/look of a freshly shaved head is something I wish I discovered 13 years ago!
For me a weeper is like a micro bruising so the skin is not broken or cut but a bit of blood seeps out from underneath. Stubble cut at a less than ideal angle or with too much force so that the follicle is damaging the deeper skin layers.

For me a weeper is like a micro bruising so the skin is not broken or cut but a bit of blood seeps out from underneath. Stubble cut at a less than ideal angle or with too much force so that the follicle is damaging the deeper skin layers.

I've done a little more research, and it definitely seems like a weeper now that I know what that is! Any solutions besides less pressure? From what I gather it's taking a thin layer of skin off with the shave resulting in a capillary "oozing"?

I've done a little more research, and it definitely seems like a weeper now that I know what that is! Any solutions besides less pressure? From what I gather it's taking a thin layer of skin off with the shave resulting in a capillary "oozing"?
Only cut with the grain and hydrate your skin well before you shave maybe try a pre product, sometimes this helps.

I've had 2 shaves since, and I was applying way too much pressure! Just had a razor head shave with no weepers. Thanks everyone for your help! What a great community/resource this is!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I've had 2 shaves since, and I was applying way too much pressure! Just had a razor head shave with no weepers. Thanks everyone for your help! What a great community/resource this is!

I just bought a leaf but have been de razor shaving my dome for a year. So are you saying that using less pressure with the leaf helped

- Fayiz D.

I just bought a leaf but have been de razor shaving my dome for a year. So are you saying that using less pressure with the leaf helped

- Fayiz D.
The Leaf is the one and only razor I've used to shave my head so far. I was using it like a traditional cartridge razor (hard and fast) and it was really tearing me up. Now I use less pressure, shorter strokes and it has really helped.

Someday soon I hope to have the confidence/skill to use a DE on my head.

I have tried the Leaf for head shaves but it either did not shave or I would get a cut....
DE or SE now...and carts sometimes..... I can use the Leaf for face....but all in all a waste of $$$

I have tried the Leaf for head shaves but it either did not shave or I would get a cut....
DE or SE now...and carts sometimes..... I can use the Leaf for face....but all in all a waste of $$$
I'm sure you could sell on BST. I probably would have bought it depending on price.

- Fayiz D.

Top Bottom