What's new

Nicks&Cuts Shaving Journal

Over the last few weeks I've been keeping a semi-regular journal to note down what I think of different products, just for personal use. I often find myself asking "what exactly did I think about that cream I used last month" only to find I've only a vague idea. It's just and excel spreadsheet where I note down my thoughts on the latest product I've used (yes, I like spreadsheets :001_tongu).

Since I have a few new products to try (including samples, thanks to that brilliant "How to ask for samples" letter that's floating around B&B) I thought I'd keep a journal here on B&B and share it with fellow members. You're more than welcome to follow along, comment, throw in your thoughts etc.

If you would like to join me on this little journey, the products I'm going to try for the first time include:
*Cella Soap
*Col Conk (Almond, Amber & Bay Rum - each smell delicious!)
*EJ Sea Buckthorn Cream
*GFT Rose, Lavender, Coconut and Limes (samples)
*EJ DE89L Razor
*The entire Thayers Witch Hazel range (sample pack)

Some items I've had for a while but haven't used recently (used for just a few shaves a year or so ago):
*GFT Sandalwood Soap
*C&E Nomad
*EJ Sea Buckthorn Soap (Yep, I'll superlather with the cream!)

There's almost certainly going to be entries from other regulars in my rotation like Musgo Real, Proraso, TOBS Jermyn and Tabac.

Many members will be familiar with some of these products (if not all! so please post your own experiences). I'm hoping for those either trying them out or thinking about buying them that this journal will help them get a better idea of how the product fared with one fellow shaver. I'm by no means an expert but I hope you enjoy whatever it is I end up sharing about these product and each shave (posts won't be long! Updates won't be every day!). Feel free to come and go whenever you're interest is piqued!

Until tomorrow morning gentlemen,
Goodnight!

I started keeping a spreadsheet of use at the beginning of the year as a way of deciding which creams, soaps and brushes would stay and which would go. It really worked for helping me purge gear that wasn't seeing much use (or getting good results) and it's a quick reminder of how much I still have on hand so I don't go buying more.

Brian - we have similar thoughts then - part of the reason I'm doing this journal is because I'd like to a) enjoy the shave more and b) record somewhere what I actually like, giving it a fair go instead of switching to a new cream/soap so quickly.

So today's shave.
EJ Best BB,
Col Conk Almond
Merkur HD/Astra blade
Thayers Original with Aloe

$Day1kit.jpg

$Day1lather.jpg

Thoughts
Col Conk was a great surprise. It's been a while since I've used a soap and I had to load the brush a bit more than I first expected (around to a 45secs in total), but the lather came up a treat. Provided a nice cushion with a really nice scent, kind of sweet but not too sweet. I'm hoping to improve my lather with it over the next few days. More on the Conk tomorrow.

The other nice surprise was the Thayers. I've been using TN Dickensons for a while and it has a strong but not unpleasant smell (it's nothing to write home about though!). I do find the TN's refreshing, but it can sting a little if I have irritation. At the end of todays shave I noticed a small red patch on my neck an was expecting to sting. Not a bit! The Thayers smells great and I'm actually postponing the ASB since the scent really reminds me of beach holidays as a kid (that mix of ocean, sand, earth and camp cooking in the morning).

Queeestion! For those that use Col Conk, do you keep it in that little plastic container or do something else with it? The container isn't bad but I am thinking it might need to go into a mug or something.

Soap: Col Conk Almond
Brush: EJ BBB
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: Astra
Post Shave: TN Dickensons & L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive for Men.
Well, another morning with the Colonel and if I'm honest it was pretty mediocre. Had a lot of trouble with the lather, it kept drying out. I washed it off each time and re-lathered (or should that read "re-mediocred").
I face lather, but I'm gonna crack out a bowl in the next few days and whip up a few batches just to find the balance. I'm also going to melt the puck into a mug of some sort.
Also used Dickensons WH accidentally (I realised when I couldn't smell holidays).
Bright side: The Conk smells great even if the lather sucks, and my delivery from ArtofMan.com.au came today - An EJ89L and EJ Seabuckthorn cream. Samples included Trumpers Coral Skin Food and an EDT of some sort (De Nicolai Vet Yver).
Lookin forward to the Skin Food.

Curious to learn how you progress with the conk. A puck of the lime variety is on my wishlist. Perhaps bowl lathering will give you more control over it?

I found keeping a similar journal to be helpful for the same reasons that you've shared, and I just enjoyed doing it. One surprise I had wqs when I used one shaving cream for a month at a time back when I was doing the "flavor of the month". i learned that a couple of creams turned out to be much better, more effective, than I had previously thought when I used them one day in a constantly changing rotation. I found the same true for razors. I was impatient and wanted to try as many as possible, and i did, but I saw some products in a different perspective when i spent some time with them. I'm not suggesting you do anything differently because I also enjoyed trying many different products.

Curious to learn how you progress with the conk. A puck of the lime variety is on my wishlist. Perhaps bowl lathering will give you more control over it?

Hey mate,
Got on fairly well. Brewed a coffee, put some music on, spent some quality time with the Colonel and made 4 bowls of lather. Bowl lathering worked a lot better, ended up with a much better mix - in this case, more product, about the same amount of water or slightly more than I was using.
I also took the puck out of the plastic case to load the brush, I don't think i'll melt it after all.

Mix 1 30 sec load, 3 dribbles water (dribble = approx 1/4 TS, I jst dip my hand into the sink and dribble a tiny amount into the bowl (or brush if I'm face lathering).
$mix1.jpg

Mix 2 45 sec load, 3 dribbles
$mix2.jpg

Mix 3 60 sec load, 3.5 dribbles
$mix3.jpg

Mix 4 around 120 sec load, 4ish dribbles (I did this just for fun!).
$mix4a.jpg

Each of 2-4 gave me enough lather for a shave, 3 & 4 easily so. Heaps left over in the bowl :)
I painted my arm each time with lather and let it sit for 2 mins.
Mix 1. Dried in 30secs,
Mix 2. Decent at 2mins
Mix 3. Rich at 2mins
Mix 4. Rich at 2 mins, left it longer and it was still slick, warm and cushiony.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows shave. I don't normally shave weekends but can't pass it up this time. Will use the bowl.

Last edited:
I found keeping a similar journal to be helpful for the same reasons that you've shared, and I just enjoyed doing it. One surprise I had wqs when I used one shaving cream for a month at a time back when I was doing the "flavor of the month". i learned that a couple of creams turned out to be much better, more effective, than I had previously thought when I used them one day in a constantly changing rotation. I found the same true for razors. I was impatient and wanted to try as many as possible, and i did, but I saw some products in a different perspective when i spent some time with them. I'm not suggesting you do anything differently because I also enjoyed trying many different products.

Thanks for sharing Randy. I've shaved with TOBS Jermyn , Merkur + Astra & a Kent BK4 for the last 6 months or so and have to agree. Staying with one set up for a decent amount of time you really get to know the products, their sweet spots and how to get the best out of them. Did you keep your journal on B&B?

That lather is looking pretty good Nick. I rekon trying to pick up more of the soap onto the brush is the way to go... Look at the size of those pucks, it's not like you will be making a dent in them anytime soon...

Did you get any other conk besides the almond? I want to try some, but almond isn't really my thing so I was leaning toward the lime.

Just had another though... try the upside down loading trick that mantic uses. Maybe that will help, or if nothing else cut your loading time down a bit

The Miz's shaving Journal,
14th October,2011

I am thinking about shaving with a straight razor.
But its just an idea,i guess I'm scared of it.
Watched "K-19: The Widowmaker " today there's a scene in it in which Harrison ford(Captain Alexi Vostrikov) shaves with a straight razor great scene lasts for a minute or so .cant see a brush.
Maybe I'll overcome my fears someday.

I did a search, but couldn't find the "How to ask for samples" letter you were talking about. I look forward to getting your insight since I am brand new to this... well, my gear was just ordered today, so I am newer than that :)

I did a search, but couldn't find the "How to ask for samples" letter you were talking about. I look forward to getting your insight since I am brand new to this... well, my gear was just ordered today, so I am newer than that :)

No worries mate, this is what I used, based on the letter that's somewhere on B&B. This is one I sent to Floris.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dear ...

I’ve been following a traditional wet-shaving routine for about 6 months now, and am slowly working through which products are particularly well suited to my skin type and routine.
I write to ask if you are able to provide any sample kits of your range of men’s shaving creams/soaps or colognes to potential customers?

I’ve read from the online wet-shaving community Badger & Blade and elsewhere that Floris' Creams, Soaps and Colognes are exceptional and was wondering if I could sample a few of your products before I make a purchase? It seems with so much on offer this would make my decision that much easier. I am especially interested in your Floris No. 89 Shaving Cream and Cologne."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you haven't read the reviews or don't know what product/s you're actually interested in, just delete those bits :wink2: Re-word it a bit if you like too, it'll come off a bit more genuine. You may also want to change the parts that mention specific brands, lines or products but it should work as a template.

Since the letter mentions B&B, it's also a good idea to send them a thank you of sorts regardless of the outcome. Our interactions with vendors represent everyone at B&B and we have a unique relationship with them that shouldn't be taken for granted.

Goodluck!

That lather is looking pretty good Nick. I rekon trying to pick up more of the soap onto the brush is the way to go... Look at the size of those pucks, it's not like you will be making a dent in them anytime soon...

Did you get any other conk besides the almond? I want to try some, but almond isn't really my thing so I was leaning toward the lime.

Just had another though... try the upside down loading trick that mantic uses. Maybe that will help, or if nothing else cut your loading time down a bit

Right on mate! I didn't mention it but I normally do the upside down loading thing whenever I load from soap. Works well. I got the Almond, Amber and Bay Rum. Reaaally wanted to grab a puck of Limes as well but thought I'd spent enough :p
I guess you will have to try it and let us all know what it's like!

Very cool journal Nick! I've been using the same routine for about 2 months although only keeping a mental journal. Routine is:
Various boar brushes 1305, Omega 31064 and Semo 1460
MWF
Slim on 5
Astras
Face lathering

The Miz's shaving Journal,
14th October,2011

I am thinking about shaving with a straight razor.
But its just an idea,i guess I'm scared of it.
Watched "K-19: The Widowmaker " today there's a scene in it in which Harrison ford(Captain Alexi Vostrikov) shaves with a straight razor great scene lasts for a minute or so .cant see a brush.
Maybe I'll overcome my fears someday.

Nice mate. I bought some, started restoring them and then decided I wasn't that dedicated, but it's totally an art form worth doing if you're keen. There are some top blokes here that helped me pick out good vintage straights to buy and how to restore them too. You'll get on just fine if you post in the Straight Razor section!

Very cool journal Nick! I've been using the same routine for about 2 months although only keeping a mental journal. Routine is:
Various boar brushes 1305, Omega 31064 and Semo 1460
MWF
Slim on 5
Astras
Face lathering

Thanks for stoppin' by Keith. How do you find the Fat? It's on my buy list but a little expensive here in Aus.
I love Astras and for some reason can't stop recommending them to newbies. I guess that mix of sharp but forgiving is what's so good about them.

Thanks for stoppin' by Keith. How do you find the Fat? It's on my buy list but a little expensive here in Aus.
I love Astras and for some reason can't stop recommending them to newbies. I guess that mix of sharp but forgiving is what's so good about them.

Hi Nick,
I actually was lucky enough to find someone who wanted to trade some Proraso SC for "Da fat". I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the template. Now I just have to find some places I want to send it to (and some addresses).

Since the letter mentions B&B, it's also a good idea to send them a thank you of sorts regardless of the outcome. Our interactions with vendors represent everyone at B&B and we have a unique relationship with them that shouldn't be taken for granted.

Goodluck!

Very good point. Thanks again.

Top Bottom