What's new

Nicks Builder Pro Boots Break-in Log

It's a different level of addiction. At ~$600/pop somewhat dangerous.

I wish I went this route when I was younger, I would have several pairs of very nice boots that have been re-soled and re-crafted several times. All at similar or lower cost than the number of Timberlands, Danners, etc I've owned over the years.

+1

It’s amazing how much one can spend on “bargain” shoes and boots over a lifetime. A few pair of White’s boots and Mephisto shoes, bought in my 20s, would have been enough (with resoles and rebuilds) to last my lifetime.

One of life’s lessons learned too late. I find more of them every day.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Another week in the books.

6C129E04-7D80-4126-A527-4EB3B06B3C9C.jpeg
Got home late Thursday night. Did a little tree trimming in the dark so I could back my truck into the driveway. I hope the neighbors weren’t too upset.

Took Friday off.

758EFBDD-B1E3-4488-9D3A-9F53C1F79FA1.jpeg
Bellied up to the parts counter at my local Kenworth shop.

Back at work this morning.

56A2A3A6-60C5-4DCE-ABF7-9957763C7E32.jpeg
Home again, until tomorrow.

The breaking in process is taking a little longer than I thought. However, I think I’m more into a settling in phase now. I’m settling in and adapting to these babies. They’re exactly what I hoped for and am afraid I’m getting addicted to wearing them, which means I’m going to want another pair...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Another week in the books.

View attachment 994959
Got home late Thursday night. Did a little tree trimming in the dark so I could back my truck into the driveway. I hope the neighbors weren’t too upset.

Took Friday off.

View attachment 994956
Bellied up to the parts counter at my local Kenworth shop.

Back at work this morning.

View attachment 994957
Home again, until tomorrow.

The breaking in process is taking a little longer than I thought. However, I think I’m more into a settling in phase now. I’m settling in and adapting to these babies. They’re exactly what I hoped for and am afraid I’m getting addicted to wearing them, which means I’m going to want another pair...
Yep, sounds like you got it bad brother. I hope you know how much I'm enjoying following your progress! Thanks for the continuing updates. My feet are living vicariously through you without the blisters!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yep, sounds like you got it bad brother. I hope you know how much I'm enjoying following your progress! Thanks for the continuing updates. My feet are living vicariously through you without the blisters!

Glad you’re enjoying it. I almost forgot this one. Had to do an unload in the rain this week.

C58088F4-CB44-43A9-AFEB-BAFE49A14B9F.jpeg

I wasn’t out there long enough for them to get completely soaked. A little water seeped in between the safety toe and the rain pants cuffs. It was barely noticeable and by the end of the day it was just like any other day.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Broke my first lace yesterday. Sorry, no pic.

211F04C7-621B-4F05-BFA1-834FAB4072D4.jpeg
Had to tarp a load in a loading dock because it was raining outside. Accidentally stepped in the “drain” trench which was FULL of water and had no grating. Dangerous and pretty gross. Boot was only slightly submerged for just a second. I did not notice any water penetration.

DB03108C-A7C3-490E-996B-82BAD1E8861A.jpeg
Found this in my dad’s garage. I still have not glued the loose edge of the insole because I haven’t given it much thought lately. I was thinking that I could use this to facilitate the process.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The broken lace is still going strong. I decided not to break out the spares just yet.

76188D8B-C5DA-4F4B-A04E-9D3C4DF5BFC5.jpeg

Been a little distracted lately. Just bought a new (old) cottage and have been spending most of my online time in that direction, looking at remodeling/building plans, docks, boats, etc.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sorry that I’ve neglected this thread. Here’s some updates.

Trimming trees and brush at the cottage. I felt very secure standing on limbs of trees.
D582C599-57AA-4DF2-82F4-B9427DA11283.jpeg

Taking in the view down by the lake.
BE6AEFF1-04C8-4E62-8CCD-33B9F57EA259.jpeg

Enjoying the fruits of our labor.
8E349C41-93A8-4562-AD13-1334CDE6CCA6.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Finally got new laces.
92D5BF7B-F6BB-4135-83CE-84308B7F7CB3.jpeg

Making chicken booyah at the cottage. Standing for long hours in the Nicks boots is a joy.
EA6CC2CC-F265-4632-8178-D657AD78CEF0.jpeg

Been working them hard. Mud is a pretty regular thing these days. Most days a brush and compressed air is all the cleaning that they get.
84620501-85C5-4380-AEA4-EE9D573B4FAE.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Spent some time in wet snow on Wednesday and my feet got pretty wet. So the latest application of Obenauf’s LP did not help much in that regard.

I think I’ll try some Pecard Never Leak leather dressing next. Does anyone have any experience with this?
E73B6073-151F-433A-B1FF-06D4334BE0D0.jpeg

Spent some time in wet snow on Wednesday and my feet got pretty wet. So the latest application of Obenauf’s LP did not help much in that regard.

I think I’ll try some Pecard Never Leak leather dressing next. Does anyone have any experience with this?
View attachment 1039151

Yes, It's all I use on my boots (not dress boots, for that use something lighter). I like the job it does, never had a boot feel like it's drying out and it doesn't darken the boot substantially (although it does darken the boot a shade and a half). People use it for restoring leather goods as well, really great stuff in my opinion. The level of protection it provides however, is comparable to obenauf's which means it's pretty much a conditioner with mild-moderate protection against rain and water.

The only way to truly waterproof boots is to have them built that way with gore tex (or comparable) lining since leather is naturally porous and needs to remain so to a certain degree to allow moisture to evaporate. Even if you did manage to somehow seal the leather (which I do not recommend) you still have the welt (looks goodyear welted) to take care of because water will seep in through there and soak the midsole and footbed. So I hope the never-leak in the name isn't the reason you are considering it. Weatherproof (which pecard's provides) means it will protect from moderate rain/snow or super dry weather. But I don't believe there is any truly 'waterproofing' cream/oil out there. To get waterproof boots, you need to buy waterproof boots, as far as I know.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Glad that you have kept us informed on this thread! I'm living vicariously through you my friend.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yes, It's all I use on my boots (not dress boots, for that use something lighter). I like the job it does, never had a boot feel like it's drying out and it doesn't darken the boot substantially (although it does darken the boot a shade and a half). People use it for restoring leather goods as well, really great stuff in my opinion. The level of protection it provides however, is comparable to obenauf's which means it's pretty much a conditioner with mild-moderate protection against rain and water.

The only way to truly waterproof boots is to have them built that way with gore tex (or comparable) lining since leather is naturally porous and needs to remain so to a certain degree to allow moisture to evaporate. Even if you did manage to somehow seal the leather (which I do not recommend) you still have the welt (looks goodyear welted) to take care of because water will seep in through there and soak the midsole and footbed. So I hope the never-leak in the name isn't the reason you are considering it. Weatherproof (which pecard's provides) means it will protect from moderate rain/snow or super dry weather. But I don't believe there is any truly 'waterproofing' cream/oil out there. To get waterproof boots, you need to buy waterproof boots, as far as I know.

Thanks for the info. I believe the welt was the weak link in letting water in while shoveling some slushy snow the other day. As far as all of your other points go, I completely agree.

My last pair of “waterproof” Danners developed a crack in one of the soles after just a few months and were no longer waterproof.

All of my work socks are merino wool, so the vast majority of minor wetness isn’t that big of a deal, because of the wicking, insulating, and better drying. It was the soaking feeling (first one since getting them) that prompted me to consider a more weatherproof conditioner. So with that in mind, I think I’ll apply some Pecard’s and see if that minimizes my exposure.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Glad that you have kept us informed on this thread! I'm living vicariously through you my friend.

I’m glad you enjoy it and thanks for your enthusiasm. I wasn’t sure if anyone was still following this, but figured even if it was only for my own benefit later on it was worth continuing.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The Pecard’s seems to have a lower melting point than Obenauf’s. I applied it pretty heavy on the rough leather and welts.
8E0085CC-8589-4267-B3B2-0B33FB624C33.jpeg
44CE8ABF-CFA6-472B-8F0E-DB156413B6CC.jpeg
5C57E598-ED92-4180-8732-25614A1EE76B.jpeg

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
i used Nick's waterproofing balm on mine. Actually..i did a two fold, the liquid, which is close to Obernaufs and the balm. They were beading quite nicely.

Leather and winter are hard. Best I’ve found is to clean regularly to remove salt and then wax them with melted wax and work in with a toothbrush all over especially the stitching. You will have to do this a couple times a season if you wear your boots daily in deep snow and slush. Gaiters are a great investment too.

Another thing some guys I guided with would be to use pine pitch or tar on the welt stitching. Makes your boot look ugly but function over form. I had 2 or 3 pairs in rotation to allow for cleaning, drying and retreatment. Over the years I gave up on leather altogether in really cold wet environments just due to maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
i used Nick's waterproofing balm on mine. Actually..i did a two fold, the liquid, which is close to Obernaufs and the balm. They were beading quite nicely.

Someone at Nick's told me that their products are just Obenauf's in their packaging and label.

Leather and winter are hard. Best I’ve found is to clean regularly to remove salt and then wax them with melted wax and work in with a toothbrush all over especially the stitching. You will have to do this a couple times a season if you wear your boots daily in deep snow and slush. Gaiters are a great investment too.

Another thing some guys I guided with would be to use pine pitch or tar on the welt stitching. Makes your boot look ugly but function over form. I had 2 or 3 pairs in rotation to allow for cleaning, drying and retreatment. Over the years I gave up on leather altogether in really cold wet environments just due to maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately I don't spend my entire day in the slop. The most recent application has definitely made an improvement. There was just a little bit of weeping in the welt of the right boot, so I'll have to reapply to the welts.

I don't mind a little bit of wetness getting in. I just don't want soaked, soggy feet first thing in the morning and then have to endure that all day.

Someone at Nick's told me that their products are just Obenauf's in their packaging and label.

Fortunately I don't spend my entire day in the slop. The most recent application has definitely made an improvement. There was just a little bit of weeping in the welt of the right boot, so I'll have to reapply to the welts.

I don't mind a little bit of wetness getting in. I just don't want soaked, soggy feet first thing in the morning and then have to endure that all day.
Obenauf's LP and oil are the way to go most of the year round. I also like Huberd's Shoe Grease very much. We used to slather it on in the Rainy Olympic Peninnsula forests years ago, and it was the best for water protection of any we used. Basically much like Obenauf's LP / beeswax based with the addition of some pine tar. It has an unmistakeable industrial scent.

Attachments

• 51Xx1GTxX5L._SX425_.jpg
    51Xx1GTxX5L._SX425_.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 7

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Obenauf's LP and oil are the way to go most of the year round. I also like Huberd's Shoe Grease very much. We used to slather it on in the Rainy Olympic Peninnsula forests years ago, and it was the best for water protection of any we used. Basically much like Obenauf's LP / beeswax based with the addition of some pine tar. It has an unmistakeable industrial scent.

I was pondering Huberd’s, but Pecard’s was readily available at a local store. So far the Pecard’s is performing as well as I could hope for.

Top Bottom