What's new

Nicks Builder Pro Boots Break-in Log

Great thread. I love seeing work boots actually being used for work. I'll bet you can hose those off and they'll clean right up.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Short day today. Stuck at a customer until morning.
DBEBEE3C-86C1-48AD-A4CF-481C3DF4CD7D.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
End of the first week. They’re getting there. They could use a little cleaning to remove mud from around the welts.

One thing happened yesterday that bothered me. There is a piece of leather that covers half of the insole and the leading edge rolled up as I was taking the boots off and made it a little difficult to extract my foot. I’m reluctant to send them back and be without them for an extended period, but for $600 I also expect them to be of superior quality.
7F4070B5-7FF2-4C58-A7D0-C9B3B182A995.jpeg

Hey I'm thinking of getting some similar boots, probably from Franks. Very helpful to see this thread and your pics.

I've been holding off bc I can't decide which soles to get. I've worn the softer wedge soles in the past which feel more like sneakers under foot especially indoors, but I'm curious to try out a high arch boot.

How is the honey lug sole? I heard they are softer than the hard black lugs? Are they a little quieter indoors on hard surfaces like wood floors or still pretty clunky?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hey I'm thinking of getting some similar boots, probably from Franks. Very helpful to see this thread and your pics.

I've been holding off bc I can't decide which soles to get. I've worn the softer wedge soles in the past which feel more like sneakers under foot especially indoors, but I'm curious to try out a high arch boot.

How is the honey lug sole? I heard they are softer than the hard black lugs? Are they a little quieter indoors on hard surfaces like wood floors or still pretty clunky?

I chose the honey Vibram for both looks and the softer composition. They are not noisy when walking indoors. Obviously, I haven’t used them in cold weather yet. I don’t like crepe soles.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll end up going that route too. Somehow it seems wrong to put a wedge crepe sole on a 500 dollar boot.

A word of advice when you get to where you have to condition the roughout. I used obenaufs oil on a pair of mine and it worked well but you have to go real light. Just a little dab on a rag goes a long way. If you soak them with oil they drink it up like a sponge and never dry back out.

If you use the heavy duty obenaufs paste or similar it mats down the nap and gives them kind of a dark muddy brown look. They honestly don't need much. I'm sure you could go a long time just keeping them brushed off from dirt and sand once in a while and they'll do fine that way.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for the info. I think I'll end up going that route too. Somehow it seems wrong to put a wedge crepe sole on a 500 dollar boot.

A word of advice when you get to where you have to condition the roughout. I used obenaufs oil on a pair of mine and it worked well but you have to go real light. Just a little dab on a rag goes a long way. If you soak them with oil they drink it up like a sponge and never dry back out.

If you use the heavy duty obenaufs paste or similar it mats down the nap and gives them kind of a dark muddy brown look. They honestly don't need much. I'm sure you could go a long time just keeping them brushed off from dirt and sand once in a while and they'll do fine that way.

I figured they would darken once treated. I have both types of Obenaufs. Since they are work boots, I’m more concerned about ruggedness and functionality. I’m even looking forward to a darker shade.

I haven’t applied any oils or pastes to rough leather. I’ve always used the paste as a base layer and the oil as more of a touch up when a quick application is wanted. I’ll keep your advice in mind and go light on the application.

One side effect I noticed with the obenaufs paste on roughout was that besides making the leather much smoother it makes it a little sticky. On mine the leather felt almost like a tack cloth that you would use to clean up saw dust. It's not too bad and diminishes over time. But if I were doing a lot of sanding or working in a dry dusty environment, I would stick to just the oil.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
One side effect I noticed with the obenaufs paste on roughout was that besides making the leather much smoother it makes it a little sticky. On mine the leather felt almost like a tack cloth that you would use to clean up saw dust. It's not too bad and diminishes over time. But if I were doing a lot of sanding or working in a dry dusty environment, I would stick to just the oil.

I’ll try blowing them off with compressed air.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
6ABC73CE-86EF-40B4-89FD-A02807179085.jpeg
Back at work. I cleaned the mud off with some saddle soap using a soft toothbrush.

I’d say that I’m nearly at the halfway point of the break in period. They’ve been on my feet for more than fifty hours, but most of that was driving, not walking. A day and a half off really helped my feet and shins to relax a bit.

They’re starting to feel better and walking is completely normal now. Squatting, crouching, and rolling up tarps is still pretty stiff.

I’m a little concerned about the leather rolling and binding when I take the boots off. I think I’ll give them a call this week and see what can be done. Maybe an insole insert (the kind that they offer) would remedy this.

Been using Obenaufs for years on my Wescos, okder Lucchese and Wolverine work boots and rough out Scarpa mountaineering boots. What I found that works best is to take the Obenauf container, take the top off and hit it for twenty seconds in the microwave, to lightly warm and soften the paste. I then apply with my bare fingers, rubbing it into the leather and seams, enough to cover but not overdue it. I allow to dry overnight then take a clean shop rag, microfiber or cotton, and wipe off any excess, and kind of buff into the leather. It will take a couple of days to fully 'dry' and the results are very positive. One side effect, Obenauf will darken the lighter tanned leathers. Great leather preservative!

Good progress! Looking forward to seeing pics when they're all broken in and greased up.

Definitely give nicks a call. I'm sure they will help you out with the peeling leather. Personally I would avoid adding an insole. I love an all leather insole once broken in. It shapes to your foot gradually over time. In my all leather boots I can feel an indent where each toe sits. Plus any rubber or foam insert will wear out pretty quick compared to the leather.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Been using Obenaufs for years on my Wescos, okder Lucchese and Wolverine work boots and rough out Scarpa mountaineering boots. What I found that works best is to take the Obenauf container, take the top off and hit it for twenty seconds in the microwave, to lightly warm and soften the paste. I then apply with my bare fingers, rubbing it into the leather and seams, enough to cover but not overdue it. I allow to dry overnight then take a clean shop rag, microfiber or cotton, and wipe off any excess, and kind of buff into the leather. It will take a couple of days to fully 'dry' and the results are very positive. One side effect, Obenauf will darken the lighter tanned leathers. Great leather preservative!

Good progress! Looking forward to seeing pics when they're all broken in and greased up.

Definitely give nicks a call. I'm sure they will help you out with the peeling leather. Personally I would avoid adding an insole. I love an all leather insole once broken in. It shapes to your foot gradually over time. In my all leather boots I can feel an indent where each toe sits. Plus any rubber or foam insert will wear out pretty quick compared to the leather.

Thanks for the tips.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Wrote this yesterday, but fell asleep before posting.

Today was a rather painful day and sorry for no pics. While tarping a load I could feel a little looseness in the left boot, so I cinched up the laces and retied. As long as I was at it I did the same for the right. I finished tarping and then took off on a 500 mile trip.

About an hour or so down the road, the pain on the tops of my feet and shins was unbearable. With no place to stop, I grabbed the spray bottle and doused the affected areas. After a little while they were tolerable again, but just barely.

Can anyone else relate there experience with this?

Wrote this yesterday, but fell asleep before posting.

Today was a rather painful day and sorry for no pics. While tarping a load I could feel a little looseness in the left boot, so I cinched up the laces and retied. As long as I was at it I did the same for the right. I finished tarping and then took off on a 500 mile trip.

About an hour or so down the road, the pain on the tops of my feet and shins was unbearable. With no place to stop, I grabbed the spray bottle and doused the affected areas. After a little while they were tolerable again, but just barely.

Can anyone else relate there experience with this?

During my break in there were days where the boots seem to "shrink back" and fit tighter. Probably a normal in the break in process. Also, my feet is not the same size every day. Some days they just seem to swell up.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
During my break in there were days where the boots seem to "shrink back" and fit tighter. Probably a normal in the break in process. Also, my feet is not the same size every day. Some days they just seem to swell up.

I think that I simply over tightened the laces.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It was a much better day for my feet today than yesterday. I think I over tightened the laces and also threw a couple of overhand knots at the first two sets of hooks just above the eyelets.
1E7ABB1C-AE36-4F56-B176-C730F46A0B3F.jpeg

Top Bottom