What's new

Nicks Builder Pro Boots Break-in Log

I've been wearing the Rangers every day for almost a month. I walk about 5-7 miles with them and then clean 'em off and wear them at home as well, sometime for 12 hours a day. Occasionally I'll alternate with my Iron Rangers when doing the 3 mile round-trip morning walk to get my single breakfast bun (my "exercise" routine) but generally I've tried to wear these as much as possible in order to get them broken in. I did some work in them today, then took a walk in the woods and after 10 miles in total when I got home I thought to myself "I don't want to take these off"! While they remain as tight as ice-skates or ski-boots, they've descended my impromptu "Snugness-Scale" from level 5 "Boa Constrictor" to level 3 "I should go on a diet" :).

I can only reiterate that my Red Wing Iron Rangers, which I once considered to be very solid boots with a long break-in period, now feel like comfy sneakers in comparison. I've been putting off ordering my alternate pair of boots until now since I wasn't sure that the sizing was correct; but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair that are still work-boots but that I can wear into an office as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've been wearing the Rangers every day for almost a month. I walk about 5-7 miles with them and then clean 'em off and wear them at home as well, sometime for 12 hours a day. Occasionally I'll alternate with my Iron Rangers when doing the 3 mile round-trip morning walk to get my single breakfast bun (my "exercise" routine) but generally I've tried to wear these as much as possible in order to get them broken in. I did some work in them today, then took a walk in the woods and after 10 miles in total when I got home I thought to myself "I don't want to take these off"! While they remain as tight as ice-skates or ski-boots, they've descended my impromptu "Snugness-Scale" from level 5 "Boa Constrictor" to level 3 "I should go on a diet" :).

I can only reiterate that my Red Wing Iron Rangers, which I once considered to be very solid boots with a long break-in period, now feel like comfy sneakers in comparison. I've been putting off ordering my alternate pair of boots until now since I wasn't sure that the sizing was correct; but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair that are still work-boots but that I can wear into an office as well.
Great description, friend! None of youse guys is makin' it easy to avoid a fight with my wife....

Here's an image taken after one month and after cleaning & oiling them for the first time
proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just got my new Hotshots. Only took three months.
9EC81B7D-6DAE-4B94-BCAA-A414E23D2506.jpeg
They already feel more flexible than the Builder Pros.

I’m not ready to send the old ones in yet, but I feel better now that I have another pair of boots.
B4DC19C1-E24A-4199-BCF6-8A3B13203C4B.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
After wearing The Hotshots only three times, I think I’ll try them for most of the day today. The tongues are much stiffer than my Builder Pros, which are like glove leather. So that is what needs the most breaking in. Other than that, these are feeling much better than my first pair right out of the box.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im struggling with my pair of Falcons. The right one across the instep is pretty tight. I think the logest i have been able to wear them is 4 hrs of actual walking etc.

I was in contact with Nicks yesterday via email regarding my current very tight fit and ordering new boots. They suggested I remove the insoles (which are equivalent to one width) and I wore them today for about 10 miles of walking in forest and city. They were, for the first time ever, really comfortable! Those insoles aren't going back in the "Rangers" unless the boots stretch over the next year or two and become loose! Now I just have to figure out where that one width discrepancy came from before ordering the next pair.

Isaac - good luck in breaking those bad-boys in!

It turns out that Nicks did indeed make an error in manufacturing. My measurements are for "D" width and I ordered with the comfort-insole option, which should have made them produce an "E" width for me, but I just got the "D" along with the comfort insoles which made for an uncomfortably tight fit. And despite wearing them a lot there was never enough flexibility for them to break in; but now without the insoles they are starting to bend and I am breaking 'em im!

Since I am an overseas customer, they couldn't send me a try-on boot; hence there was no solution from Nicks apart from having me remove the insoles. But upon ordering new boots they will make sure to adjust the width correctly this time.

I might have pressured them to get concessions due to their error. But I haven't.

I've been walking 10 miles or more every day now, and the Nicks Rangers are finally starting to break in and are now very comfortable indeed.

What's everyone's preferred oil/preservative. I have a jug of neetsfoot oil I haven't used for my strop. Kiwi mink oil, saddle soap and black and brown polishes. I read obenaufs(sp) oil and heavy duty were better. I know kiwi is the basic store stuff, but when I learned that's what we were told to use lol.

I, too, am using Obenauf's - although it comes packaged as "Nicks Heavy Duty Preservative". So far that is doing a good job and hasn't darkened the leather too much. It goes on very easily as it liquefies from the heat of my fingers as I apply it. I ordered a pair of custom Packer boots yesterday now that I know how nicely my boots are wearing in.

I have been wearing my Ranger boots for my daily walks of ~10 miles on average until now. 4 months now, and finally my Packer boots from Nick's arrived and soon I'll start alternating between the two (I'll wear the Packers for a week or two indoors before venturing outside in them). The Rangers are now fully broken in and are very comfortable! The laces broke on one boot last week, and I had some leather laces from Red Wing in my drawer that didn't last during even the first lace-up, they tore while tightening the first boot...
The new Packer boots are a dream to wear, from the first try-on onwards. If there's any interest I'll post pictures of both boots.

While I live in a town, I take a walk through the woods in the morning to get a breakfast roll (3 miles round trip) and then take another walk to do grocery shopping (same place) and usually will do an afternoon walk on mixed dirt paths and concrete. My fitbit usually shows around 20K steps. The rest of the day I'm currently doing home office and am barefoot :)
The Ranger boots are showing wear on sole from the gravel but are otherwise doing well and I'm wearing the new Packer boots inside right now and I'm debating taking them on their first outside walk this afternoon.

Attachments

• PackerBoots1.jpg
    PackerBoots1.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 79
  • PackerBoots2.jpg
    PackerBoots2.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 80

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Got a pair of TankerPro boots on order. Not a good image, I know, but they took it down last week. It is a limited run of only 50 pairs. I saw the email the day before preordering closed and quickly got my order in.
F7038F8B-7859-485F-BF3E-B0E0874B924B.jpeg

Top Bottom