What's new

Nicks Builder Pro Boots Break-in Log

OldSaw

The wife's investment
They’re starting to get some nice wear wrinkles.
AD2F7A0F-2CFE-4B56-9C40-004693654F20.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I might knock off early today and stop by the house. Here’s some pics of my work today.
3F3A3376-0E76-47C1-98AB-F128C9A2365A.jpeg
The logger standing next to me said, “Working in the woods breaks in boots real fast!”

BDADA19B-D0B6-4F85-9FF6-874FC0038D6E.jpeg
76E18E9B-1E63-42B4-80B9-5B2A39F2A271.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Back in my living room.

They’re almost completely normal to walk in. Just two weeks ago on my first walk with the new boots I made Herman Munster look like a ballet dancer. I would say they’re almost there.
4F2C3F0B-57AC-461B-B414-B56B073A3570.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
You know what I really like? At the end of a long day of wearing the Nicks, when I take them off my feet aren’t all funky, damp and stinky. Even though I know my feet perspire during the day, when I take the boots off and remove my merino socks my feet feel just like the rest of my skin.

Obviously, getting them soaked is a different matter. But it’s nice knowing that my feet aren’t suffocating in synthetic non-breathable sheaths.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Today’s work and boot workout.

C81848C1-A236-4D86-AF20-CCCAF3F638D2.jpeg
Delivered the logs that I picked up yesterday here. Broke down log bunks and stowed under deck. Swept deck. It wasn’t nearly as muddy as I expected and was slightly less dusty than a dry summer day.

0D1C78B0-A0A2-4791-B44E-5DD7685DE696.jpeg
Picked up lumber here. Kiln dried hardwood that needs to be tarped.

105A22B0-1242-4D46-8DD7-6C137FB56244.jpeg
24 tons of lumber.

46C7A0C0-B7D5-412A-8C44-B67043C183B4.jpeg
Walking around the edges. I need to be 100% confident in my foot wear. I’ve already had a couple of nasty falls and injuries including a broken arm and torn meniscus.

B2DCBC79-F035-4EDA-BC6E-27A087881683.jpeg
Gotta be able to climb on top too.

30E13E8F-0063-40FF-90FA-6D4AE2467409.jpeg
Sometimes there is barely an edge to catch and that’s why I chose the honey Vibram sole.

Continued in next post due to pic limits.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
5213B829-A79A-4B4C-82BE-6B8445514B09.jpeg
Each tarp weighs 110 pounds. Need two tarps for most loads.

76632A42-DA30-44FB-9D9D-24E9405BF841.jpeg
Unrolling and dropping the sides down.

5233B372-2BE6-45E2-8893-A0552332241C.jpeg
It’s a long way down. This load is about 11 feet from top to the ground.

4FDC57D9-BC88-489C-8BC4-E8A250379EB2.jpeg
Also have to be able to climb up and down after the tarps are on.

65C8CFE4-2E30-4D7C-85CE-C8DBB9F177D2.jpeg
All wrapped up and ready to roll.

76529400-A639-4CF6-A664-6109D1241CCC.jpeg
Time to go home.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I called Nicks Handmade Boots about the insole leather that is rolling up on the front edge when I remove the boots. The rep said I could just glue it back down with some contact cement, no problem. Saves me from having to mail them back.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Had to get down low today and I realized that crouching is getting way easier. I’m tempted to wash and oil them before I head back out tomorrow.
9942EBA1-6CB0-4A9D-AFE2-384408F26D45.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Cleaned with saddle soap using an old toothbrush. Hopefully applying Obenaufs tomorrow.
6FC8C1AD-8F62-4BC8-8B78-201FE118BCCD.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Applied Obenaufs paste today. I used a soft toothbrush to work it into the rough leather and the welts. Also applied Obenaufs oil at the end of the day but forgot to take pics of that application. This pic is after applying the paste.

27520E90-A4EB-44FD-B759-3BAF46B79B09.jpeg

Thanks for staying with the updates. They're lookin good!

How do you feel about the weight of the boots now that they're getting more comfortable? I've heard these are some heavy boots. Roughly 3 pounds per boot.

Would you feel comfortable walking long distances or wearing them on the weekend maybe doing light yard work. Or do you feel like they're only suited for more heavy duty stuff where you need the protection and support?

OldSaw

The wife's investment

How do you feel about the weight of the boots now that they're getting more comfortable? I've heard these are some heavy boots. Roughly 3 pounds per boot.

Would you feel comfortable walking long distances or wearing them on the weekend maybe doing light yard work. Or do you feel like they're only suited for more heavy duty stuff where you need the protection and support?

I’m going to have to think about this. I’m just now finishing my day. Yes, they are heavy, but I’m not concerned about that. I’ll have to finish this tomorrow.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Took a shot while rolling up a tarp. I think they’re mostly there. I think the rest of the break-in is going to go more slowly and be more subtle.

F65DE5DA-37A3-452F-B63C-28C2F42A9D76.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Good morning. Now that I’m awake I can actually think.

I notice the weight mostly when I’m grabbing them in the morning to put them on. They are much heavier than any other footwear I’ve ever had, but for me they are a tool to perform my job so it’s not an issue.

As far as walking long distances goes, it would depend on the terrain. Rural, wooded areas, or other rough terrain then I would wear these (keeping in mind that they are still not broken in enough for that purpose). In an urban setting I’d probably just prefer a light walking shoe.

I would definitely wear them for yard work.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

One more thing. Yesterday I had the boots on my feet by 5:30 AM and they didn’t come off until 11:30 PM. That’s how most of my work days are. Boots that have foam padding, waterproof barriers, and lots of synthetics make my feet too hot and sweaty.

Also, there are plenty of drivers who do what I do just wearing tennis shoes. I prefer to be safe and also be in compliance at customer locations that require safety toe boots.

I'm in the same boat where I could just maybe get by without sturdy boots but I prefer them. Plus I like buying American products that last instead of cheap overseas stuff that will be in a landfill in 6 months. That being said I do put them through their paces. I've found some of the other brands that produce all leather USA made boots have gone more of a fashion route. Red wing heritage for example. They make some nice durable boots but they're expensive and not really something you might want to work in all day every day.

Anyway I need to bite the bullet and do that fit sheet. Think I will go with a 6 inch boot and a wedge vibram sole. I'll be missing out on the high arch but this will keep them versatile and a bit lighter so I can wear them working or just walking sidewalks, trails etc without needing to change shoes.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm in the same boat where I could just maybe get by without sturdy boots but I prefer them. Plus I like buying American products that last instead of cheap overseas stuff that will be in a landfill in 6 months. That being said I do put them through their paces. I've found some of the other brands that produce all leather USA made boots have gone more of a fashion route. Red wing heritage for example. They make some nice durable boots but they're expensive and not really something you might want to work in all day every day.

Anyway I need to bite the bullet and do that fit sheet. Think I will go with a 6 inch boot and a wedge vibram sole. I'll be missing out on the high arch but this will keep them versatile and a bit lighter so I can wear them working or just walking sidewalks, trails etc without needing to change shoes.

Definitely do the fit sheet. You’ll need help for this. If it wasn’t for this obstacle I probably would have pulled the trigger years sooner.

Then call for a consultation. They will help you to be sure that what you want is the same as what you need.

This is what I was looking for:

Great fit. I have narrow feet and almost never find narrow boots in shoe stores.

Rugged durable materials.

Good grip in most conditions.

All day wearability.

Ten inch upper. I need the extra ankle support since I have weak narrow ankles and have had several sprains due to poor quality boots.

Looks: I’m not ashamed to admit that I want my boots to look nice. To me, the high arch logger style is a very nice looking boot and I have always admired them when I see someone wearing them. Also, because I wear light brown work pants I wanted something in the same color scheme.

So with this criteria in mind I called for a consultation and the rep suggested the Builder Pro. It looks nearly the same as the Hotshot, as far as shape and profile go, but without the NFPA cert, flameproof thread, or heat resistant sole.

Sounds like good advice. Better to get the process going and then keep an open mind to what they recommend based on the fit sheet, purpose of the boots etc.

Nothing wrong with wanting them to look good as well as be practical. I agree about liking the look of a higher heeled boot over the flat sole.

With fit I've always had the opposite problem with width. My feet are always too wide for my boots. So once they are broken in the outside edge of my foot bulges out over the edge of the sole. Not the best. Thats where I always start to feel it first after a long day. So if this problem alone is solved for the first time by a custom boot, then I'll be very happy.

Top Bottom