What's new

Nicks and weepers with first use of a blade

For years I've had an issue with new blades. It seems like 95%+ of the time my first shave with a new blade yields a bunch of weepers and nicks. The remaining three shaves with the blade (I use a blade for four shaves) are fine.

Does anyone have the same experience? Any thoughts on how I can change what's happening?

I used to have the same results, the first shave being harsh, then getting smoother until they finally crap out.

Somewhere I saw a suggestion to strop the blade on your palm (be VERY careful) about a dozen times first before use. Basically the blade has a feathery edge from manufacturing and stropping aligns those. Much like with straights.

I’ve done it ever since with good results.

For years I've had an issue with new blades. It seems like 95%+ of the time my first shave with a new blade yields a bunch of weepers and nicks. The remaining three shaves with the blade (I use a blade for four shaves) are fine.
Does anyone have the same experience? Any thoughts on how I can change what's happening?
Never had that problem. I always take it very steadily on first use of a blade and get no weepers or nicks. Perhaps the blades are too harsh for your skin so try different blades. GSB and Astra SP I find nice and smooth.
Corking is an option but I find that is removing some of the blade life. Also have you tried a different lather consistency?

As above, try different brand of blade.

sir Border, what is your prep? That is big.

Also folks have stropped fresh blade on bluejean material just to knock off any rough spots.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
First suggestion would be to change to a different blade.

Second would be to get a nice bottle of wine with a real cork - watch out for twist tops and synthetic corks.
Drink the wine - preferably the night before, not the morning of the shave. Get some help, a bottle is too much wine for one person.

Carefully pull the edge of the blade through a bit of the cork. The other sharp edge of the blade will be facing your palm, so get a reasonably firm grip. Repeat on the other side. If your blades are really bad you might want to pull it through a couple two or three times.

Then shave a usual. You may find that you only get 3 days from the blades if they require excess corking. Well worth it if it eliminates weepers.

The other sharp edge of the blade will be facing your palm, so get a reasonably firm grip.

I would suggest a grip more like this. Whatever you are comfortable with though.
WIN_20190120_08_45_34_Pro.jpg

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm going to try a little stropping against some denim material before the first use.

Here are the answers to the questions posed:
  • The blade is the Gillette 7 O'Clock green, made in Russia. I'll probably change after I run out of them, but I have about 90 left from my last 100 pack.
  • My morning prep starts with a shower, washing my face with plain soap. Then I apply a layer of pre-shave oil that I make, made up of 50% grapeseed oil, 25% jojoba oil, and 25% sweet almond oil. That's on my face for a few minutes while I whip up the lather in my scuttle. Lathers are a rotation of various AoS, TOBS, and T&H lathers. I then apply the lather over the oil for the first pass.
As I mentioned, the issue is only with the first use of a new blade. I'll try the stropping and report back.

Today was my first new blade since we had the discussion in this thread. I didn't have any spare denim laying around to strop the blade, but I did have a smooth stone coaster that my blade bank sits on (see below). I used the coaster, stropping each of the four blade edge surfaces three times, pulling backwards each time and trying not to cut myself.

The results are promising. I only had two teeny weepers, considerably fewer than norma for a first time use. I'm going to keep it up and report back after a few more blades. Thanks again everyone for the help.

First suggestion would be to change to a different blade.

Second would be to get a nice bottle of wine with a real cork - watch out for twist tops and synthetic corks.
Drink the wine - preferably the night before, not the morning of the shave. Get some help, a bottle is too much wine for one person.

Carefully pull the edge of the blade through a bit of the cork. The other sharp edge of the blade will be facing your palm, so get a reasonably firm grip. Repeat on the other side. If your blades are really bad you might want to pull it through a couple two or three times.

Then shave a usual. You may find that you only get 3 days from the blades if they require excess corking. Well worth it if it eliminates weepers.

I’m a night shaver. My worst shaves come on wine nights. And it’s not caused by corking! Appreciate the advice on finding help with the bottle.

OP,
I have stropped blades on my forearm without a noticeable difference. Same with running the blade through packing peanuts. Honestly most of what I’ve read out there says stropping the blade doesn’t lead to better initial shaves. But there are guys out there who do it. Just like those that flip the blade. Do what you feel works is most important. I get a cut or weeper about every 4th or 5th shave. Come to think of it, that’s pretty much every time I have a fresh blade in... I don’t think you should be getting several on the first and zero on the second, third etc. Maybe one? Good luck!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm always more cautious on the first use of a blade, and different blades take a different amount of time before they settle down and smooth out. Some blades only take a couple of shaves, the Perma-Sharp I'm currently using had settled down by the second shave, but Gillette SharpEdge and Feather blades can take me 6 or 7 shaves before they properly smooth out. Thankfully they haven't bitten me. I've had a couple of near misses when they've snatched at the skin a little, but I've backed off before it broke through. The benefits of a non-cushioning lather, letting me feel what's actually happening on the face.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm going to try a little stropping against some denim material before the first use.

Here are the answers to the questions posed:
  • The blade is the Gillette 7 O'Clock green, made in Russia. I'll probably change after I run out of them, but I have about 90 left from my last 100 pack.
  • My morning prep starts with a shower, washing my face with plain soap. Then I apply a layer of pre-shave oil that I make, made up of 50% grapeseed oil, 25% jojoba oil, and 25% sweet almond oil. That's on my face for a few minutes while I whip up the lather in my scuttle. Lathers are a rotation of various AoS, TOBS, and T&H lathers. I then apply the lather over the oil for the first pass.
As I mentioned, the issue is only with the first use of a new blade. I'll try the stropping and report back.
You should really try a blade sampler and not insist on using your blades until they run out. You can always sell/trade them. I would also just strop them on your hand a few times before your first use of the blade.

You should really try a blade sampler and not insist on using your blades until they run out. You can always sell/trade them. I would also just strop them on your hand a few times before your first use of the blade.

Before I settled in on these years ago, I had sampled a lot of blades. I will probably test drive Feather and Astra again, as they seem to get good overall reviews. I had found the Feathers too aggressive for me, but I had only just started using a DE razor back then. Now it would probably be different.

How about buying a small leather strop used for polishing a knife edge? Or strop it on the bottom edge of a coffee mug. That little unglazed portion of the coffee mug works wonders on a knife edge, might smooth out a DE blade? Has anyone ever tried it on a fresh blade?? Just a thought for you....

May suggest that if you are getting weepers, the lather is not good quality. Also too much pressure. Do take time to work the lather with brush.

Top Bottom