What's new

Nicks and more nicks! Gillette "NEW DELUXE"......I don't get it.

Hi all,

For reasons unknown, I continue to receive (albeit small) "Nicks" when using my Gillette "NEW DELUXE". I have tried both "few times used as well as brand new" Blades. The Blades are Personna Israeli Platinum Red Chrome Double Edge Stainless Steel. As best I can tell, there appears to be NO issues with the Razor itself, i.e. all appears tight/straight. I have taken my time and carefully/slowly shaved using this Razor however, I somehow always wind up nicking myself. I don't understand why this is happening as I have shaved using my Gillette BIG BOY which (as far as I can tell) is the same Razor as the NEW DELUXE only larger and have had no issues.
Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.

SixCats!

Hello sixcats! Where have you been brother?

The New Deluxe is a simple razor for me to use, but I’ve had mine for at least 5 years now and could have forgotten some of my trials and tribulations with it. You say the razor looks straight and nothing is out of whack. Okay, you’ve covered the blade selection, so that should cover it... maybe. I use mine with Personna lab blues and Astra blades and do not experience any nicks or cuts. Maybe try another blade to see if you can tame the beast.

You’re experienced, so I’m sure you’ve got the pressure and angle thing worked out. Little pressure is the key for this razor.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It could simply be too aggressive for you. It is, after all, one of the most aggressive vintage Gillettes out there.

Hi @Jim99 and @Hannah's Dad,

I Guys. Thank you for responding to my inquiry. Jim, I will try even using less pressure (assuming I decide to continue using this Razor). I have sooooooo many other Razors I've yet to try. I've collected over 150 Razors in five months. I so love the "style" of the "NEW and NEW IMPROVED" typed Razors. I'm going to have to try my BIG BOY again. I've only shaved with it one time and it was quite good and I experience no issues (if memory serves). Am I correct in my thinking that the BIG BOY is just a BIGGER "NEW DELUXE" ? Hannah's Dad, you could be 100% correct! Perhaps the NEW DELUXE is just TOO aggressive for my Baby soft face. Ahhhh, we shall see! Thanks guys.

SixCats!

Hi @ackvil,

Do you consider the BIGGER/HEAVIER Gillette "BIG BOY" to also be aggressive ? Am I wrong in my thinking that the BIG BOY is just a larger/heavier Gillette NEW Deluxe (with a longer handle) ? I wonder if the balance/weight/longer handle of the BIG BOY makes it a completely different shaver than the NEW DELUXE ? I recall having no issues using my BIG BOY. I will have to try shaving with the BIG BOY again to be sure/compare to the NEW DELUXE.

SixCats!

Ummmm, I also have a BAR HANDLE NEW DELUXE. I suspect this Razor also be an aggressive shaver ?

(Borrowed photo) :
proxy.php

SixCats!

Just a thought...but unless you know the history of that razor it may not be all correct/original.
Is the cap the proper cap for the NEW Deluxe? Maybe someone bunged on a Tech cap (as an example, and no, I don't know if a Tech cap would actually fit anyway). Is the base straight and level, cap not been dropped and has bent corners, etc?
I'm just saying that your razor may not be completely original.
Can we see a photo or two?
Agree about the blades too. I don't like the Reds, but Lab Blues are fine. Do try another blade...Gillette yellow, GSB, or similar.

I could never get the stellar shaves I read about on this forum from my NEW. But I was also expecting to immediately master it. Now that I've got a number of shaves on it, my technique has improved.

You say you have 150 razors? Hard to get enough time with any single "challenging" razor to improve your technique.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just a thought...but unless you know the history of that razor it may not be all correct/original.
Is the cap the proper cap for the NEW Deluxe? Maybe someone bunged on a Tech cap (as an example, and no, I don't know if a Tech cap would actually fit anyway). Is the base straight and level, cap not been dropped and has bent corners, etc?
I'm just saying that your razor may not be completely original.
Can we see a photo or two?
Agree about the blades too. I don't like the Reds, but Lab Blues are fine. Do try another blade...Gillette yellow, GSB, or similar.

This, but no worries, Mr Katz - you'll get it!

AA

Sorry for the HUGH photograph. I'm unable to make smaller for reasons unknown :
upload_2019-9-14_19-0-17.png

SixCats!

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-14_18-55-31.png
    upload_2019-9-14_18-55-31.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 22

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes. That one is pretty, but it can bite.

I've got a vicious Deluxe, missing it's corner teeth.

Adventures in Shaving, indeed.

AA

The Personna Israeli Red blades are extremely sharp, especially after the first shave. If you are attempting to use them in an aggressive open comb razor, your shaving technique needs to be excellent- minimal pressure and correct shave angle for the razor. I suggest dropping back to a blade that is not quite as sharp. The 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow is a excellent mid-sharp blade that may work well in your razor. If your beard is not super tough, the Astra SP blades may also work for you.

The New Deluxe is aggressive, but manageable. Just as you suggest with the Big Boy. I like the razor.

However, there is the Criterion model, which I believe you have. It shaves differently than other Deluxes. It has the handle that is attached to the base. Mine is extremely aggressive! When I got it, I thought it was broken somehow. Then, I read that it was Gillettes most aggressive model.
9E7AFE80-9FB5-43A4-9700-39C17FB4D451.jpeg

On mine, the blade protrudes almost straight out, almost flat. It was awful for a newbie. I should pull it out, now that my technique is better.

The good news is that your Bar Handle model should work much better for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom