What's new

Nickel plated brass vs stainless

Any preferences?

To me the former has a nice shiny silver look while the latter has an industrial look.

Also it appears that it's easier to gold plate the former. I am starting to like the idea of gold plating just the bottom plate, leaving the rest as is. A plated open comb really pops out when it's on its own.

I suppose the advantage of the latter is that there is no plating to crack off. But is that a real issue?

Hello,

Stainless is maintenance free and can be polished to a high gloss if you choose. Stainless is stronger alloy versus brass for thread wear and scratch resistance.
A plated brass razor if cared for properly will last decades. Really personal preference, no right or wrong choice.

If you want a two tone razor consider a Karve stainless cap with a brass base and stainless handle. If your not sure about which razor to get get both. The seed of RAD has been planted....

Cheers
John

Contrary to popular belief, stainless isn't impervious to corrosion. It can corrode & when it does, it does so with a vengeance, with deep nasty pits. Proper thickness nickel will last for decades. If needed it can be replated, in fact, you can replate it yourself on your own workbench.
Looks like this (handle):

Old Type New Handle.jpg

I am currently having my brass Karve plated in rhodium (first nickel, then rhodium actually). I have the stainless Karve as well. I like the maintenance free aspect of stainless. But, I liked the way the brass warmed up while the steel stayed cold(er). I am looking forward to the plated brass. I don't have my razor to judge yet, just giving you an opinion about where I stand now. And I did not have the Karve polished at all. I wanted to keep the matte look so no tolerances were affected.

I am currently having my brass Karve plated in rhodium (first nickel, then rhodium actually). I have the stainless Karve as well. I like the maintenance free aspect of stainless. But, I liked the way the brass warmed up while the steel stayed cold(er). I am looking forward to the plated brass. I don't have my razor to judge yet, just giving you an opinion about where I stand now. And I did not have the Karve polished at all. I wanted to keep the matte look so no tolerances were affected.

Please post photos when you get the new razor!! (Bet it will look great!) :a14: :a14:

Contrary to popular belief, stainless isn't impervious to corrosion. It can corrode & when it does, it does so with a vengeance, with deep nasty pits. Proper thickness nickel will last for decades. If needed it can be replated, in fact, you can replate it yourself on your own workbench.
Looks like this (handle):

View attachment 1049630
That is very true. But nickel plating tends to wear off in time, and nickel and brass are relatively soft metals. A good grade of steel will last more than a lifetime if kept clean and dry, with perhaps some minor staining.

I like the nickle better, as it has nice shiny silver look. Stainless looks cold, impersonal, and industrial.
The brass razors if cared for properly will last a century or more. Look at all of the vintage razors out there.

It is up to the individual which they prefer, no right or wrong choice.

Brass is actually better IMHO. From a manufacturing point-of-view, stainless steel is much more difficult to work with than brass. Brass can be cast easily and machined easily. Brass is plenty hard and strong enough to do the job. Nickel plating is not an expensive process and it can be renewed if necessary.

Thanks for pointing out Karve to me. Didn't know about them.

Question about their brass. It looks like their brass ones, come plated in gold.

I prefer nickel plated brass to stainless. And two tone. Meaning the handle and top plate are nickel plated brass, with a brass bottom plate that is plated in gold.

Looks like Merovingian must have got some unplated brass Karve. Is that right?

I've recently learned that technically, even stainless is plated. That's why stainless has to be ten percent chrome. The chrome in the alloy naturally oxidizes and leaves a protective chromium film over the metal alloy, preventing further oxidation. The chromium film can rub off, but then it oxidizes and films over and becomes stable again.

I used to buy in stainless, liking the apparent simplicity of it.

But nowadays, I am starting to prefer brass. You can plate a component in nickel or gold for less than twenty bucks. And do two tone, or pure gold, whatever.

I like the vintage Gillettes, as they were brass, and you could choose nickel or gold.

That Karve company really sets up nicely for two tone. Those blood red open comb aluminum bottom plates would really pop out if the rest of the razor was nickel or stainless. Same with a gold bottom plate.

On closer look at the Karve razors, maybe those brass pieces are just unplated brass. The web photos make them look like gold, but perhaps they are just brass. Thoughts?

I like the nickle better, as it has nice shiny silver look. Stainless looks cold, impersonal, and industrial.
The brass razors if cared for properly will last a century or more. Look at all of the vintage razors out there.

It is up to the individual which they prefer, no right or wrong choice.
Agreed. A century or more easily. My Ernst Scharf Rapide from the late 1800s is still going strong.

Any preferences?

To me the former has a nice shiny silver look while the latter has an industrial look.

Also it appears that it's easier to gold plate the former. I am starting to like the idea of gold plating just the bottom plate, leaving the rest as is. A plated open comb really pops out when it's on its own.

I suppose the advantage of the latter is that there is no plating to crack off. But is that a real issue?

They are both really good. You are correct that the advantage of stainless is there isn't any plating to wear off. People will tell you that stainless corrodes and it's true it can. But for the application of a safety razor it almost never does. And in the rare instance it does its usually just a bit of surface corrosion that is easily polished off. I've been a member of this forum for a number of years and have yet to see an example of a stainless razor corroding to the point of failure.

But brass is good too. The old vintage gillettes are evidence of their longevity. I have several with the plating worn down to the brass which doesn't seem to hurt the razors durability or functionality at all.

Last edited:
They are both really good. You are correct that the advantage of stainless is there isn't any plating to wear off. People will tell you that stainless corrodes and it's true it can. But for the application of a safety razor it almost never does. And in the rare instance it does its usually just a bit of surface corrosion that is easily polished off. I've been a member of this forum for a number of years and have yet to see an example of a stainless razor corroding to the point of failure.

But brass is good too. The old vintage gillettes are evidence of their longevity. I have several with the plating worn down to the brass which doesn't seem to hurt the razors durability or functionality at all.
All true and well said. But if we're celebrating the durability of vintage brass razors, I think we have to acknowledge all those Old Types with bent teeth. That happens because brass is a soft metal and razors are dropped, knocked into sinks, and otherwise collide with hard objects. The other side of the brass coin is that bent brass teeth that aren't too badly bent can be straightened, and so many of those over 90-year old razors are still perfectly usable with a little tlc. Of course, steel is harder to work with, and titanium much harder.

I think if you never want to get into replating, stainless makes sense.

But if you are curious about replating, and I am, in nickel and gold, then brass is the best starting point.

Could you share a picture of the plated Karve once you have it? I am considering the same and would love to get some inspiration. Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom