What's new

Nice surprise - Vintage Don Juan blades

Some weeks ago I got a lot of 100 NOS vintage blades from ebay at a nice price. The reason I got it was mainly the inclusion of one sealed pack of Spoilers. Most of the blades are Don Juan with a pack of 5 british Kor-Val (never heard of them), 10 old Gillette thin blades, 2 packs of 5 Smith blades and 1 mystery edge blade.
I have finished testing some Gillette blades and the spoilers are the next (and last) blade for that test. Out of an impulse I decided to try a Don Juan blade before that.
I had read some really bad reviews here, but decided to try them anyway. I put a blade in the alcohol jar I store my razor on Thursday evening and today I got it out to shave. First I did some stropping on my palm since I didn't have a cork around (if you don't know how it is done check the next video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc ). I do not strop modern blades, but decided to do so with this vintage one. After stropping four times each edge both ways I loaded it in my fatboy at setting 3.
I followed my normal routine (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166504) and well the results were at least interesting.
First feeling I got was considerable tugging. I was very cautious, felt some hair being pulled, but I could see no blood so I kept on. After finishing my right cheek the tugging feeling was getting less. So I finished the first pass, lathered up again and then the third and some touch up.
After I rinsed the last lather the shave was far from BBS, a near DFS. Not so exciting. A look in the mirror and not even one small blood spot, now that was interesting because of the initial tugging feeling. The time of truth had arrived and the alum block was going to demonstrate how much irritation I got from this old chrome steel blade. I applied once and felt nothing, I applied again to see if I did something wrong and still no reaction. It was the first time I had no stinging from the alum block at all. The Don Juan gave me the most irritation free DE shave yet.
Tomorrow I will try a second shave with the same blade. Based on how it goes I will try a new blade with the fatboy set at 4. If I can get good DFS with no irritation whatsoever the Don Juans are going to become my daily blade until I run out of them.

Hi, George.

May I ask what kind of Don Juan blades your are speaking of? I understand there are several versions of Don Juan.

A while ago I received 100 NOS Don Juan blades along with some other items in a lot. After inquiring about them, I got some information from a forum member telling me that he had very good results with the stainless platinum coated Don Juan blades. He suggested they may even have been a precursor to Personna Red IP's.

The ones I have are blued blades, with the name "Don Juan Blu Strike Fan" on them. They're not stainless, but blued. I understand that blued blades may not hold up well over the years and may oxidize, giving a rough shave. I haven't tried them yet to find out. I'm wondering which version you have.

Please let us know!

I probably have the same version you have and not the newer stainless steel (it's blueish and is marked as chrome steel). Then again if you check the following website (http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml) you can see that the addition of chrome to carbon steel makes it stainless steel (you need to have at least 11.5% to call it stainless). So these blades are not carbon steel for sure, since they contain chromium, but we do not know if the chromium is enough to characterize them as stainless. Also I imagine (since I can get no clues of exact year of manufacturing) that maybe the marketing department decided that chrome steel could sound better in the consumer's ears than stainless steel (should be the period when the first stainless steel blades started appearing in the market). No one knows for sure.
I had read almost all topics in here mentioning don juans prior to shaving with them. That it is exactly why I decided to put them in an alcohol solution for more than a day, wipe them gently with some smooth toilet paper and then strop them.
As I noted on the first post they did not give a close shave, but produced no irritation at the same time (hence the notion to try the next blade at higher fatboy setting). And the tugging was minimized after a bit, but I have to say that I was especially careful to do small movements with the razor so the hair didn't tug too much. Also I had not shaved on friday, so it was about 48 hours worth of grow. I will shave again in about 12 hours, will post my impressions afterwards.

Had the second shave with this blade. I hand stropped it again before using it and I couldn't resist dialing up the fatboy to 4. After 4 passes (the last 2 ATG) I can say that I got a DFS (almost BBS on the cheeks) and still I did without getting a single nick...and again I did not feel anything when I applied the alum block.
Just to make it clear the blade is not very sharp. After the initial tugging has subsided the blade becomes very smooth and I guess that combination leads to an irritation free shave. Four passes with most other blades would leave my face red with irritation. Tomorrow I will try for the first time a Gillette spoiler. I have very big expectations from it after the Don Juan performance!

I also am a Don Juan user. I don't hand strop them or soak them in alcohol. I just pop them into the razor and shave. Short strokes employing the Gillette Slide and I always get nick-free, irritation free shaves in one pass.

Instead of a spoiler I used a super irridium today that just arrived in the mail today. Good blade but the irritation is back. Nothing too much (almost like a derby), but still more than the Don Juans (which has become the blade that gives me the least irritation). The shave was a bit closer but it gets me wondering. I will also try a Smith carbon steel blade I have from the lot I got. If my face likes carbon steel blades I will feel so lucky since almost no one wants to buy these blades and they are considerably cheaper than the stainless steel blades of the 60s and 70s...

Top Bottom