What's new

Nice Gillette info

Be careful. Have you noticed if you've been followed? Shadowed?

Posting this sort of thing turns you into Winston Smith, from George Orwell's "1984".

My suggestion is to vary your routine. Drive around blocks to see if anyone follows you. If you are walking, try random street crossings, as a jay-walker, to see if anyone follows you. And like the French Resistance, use an exacto knife to carve out the pages in a book so you can securely hide you DE razor in the recess.

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

Used to be a number in Dallas that actually played this!

Did I miss something? I was looking at a slide presentation about Gillette and products and a timeline.

Very interesting!!

Gillette lost my razor business 20+ years ago (aside from ‘vintage’).
They lost my shaving soap business almost 10 years ago.
I still purchase some Gillette DE blades, but mostly from ‘third world channels.’
The most recent PC campaign got me to reconsider other ‘personal care’ purchases.

I spend a fair amount of $ on shaving related stuff, but I am NOT in the Gilette target audience.

It's some Iranian college student's marketing homework. Looks like third year given the quality of the work, and predicts how Gillette needs to push the Gillette 3 / Gillette 5 and Skinguard products in the US and the Guard product in India. Also how they need to maintain technical superiority over competitors to justify the higher prices of their premium mainline shaving products, and that the women's product line must not be ignored. Nothing too terribly surprising in it, but a pretty light summary. Whoever made this will probably make a decent living in business.

Very interesting!!

Gillette lost my razor business 20+ years ago (aside from ‘vintage’).
They lost my shaving soap business almost 10 years ago.
I still purchase some Gillette DE blades, but mostly from ‘third world channels.’
The most recent PC campaign got me to reconsider other ‘personal care’ purchases.

I spend a fair amount of $ on shaving related stuff, but I am NOT in the Gilette target audience.

Satisfying the whims of a bunch of outliers is not likely to be a profitable effort for a multinational public corporation.

[...]consumers believe there is a direct relationship between price and quality.[...] :em2300:

Well, my $200 repairable shoes are made from much better materials and are of much better quality than $50 shoes. And there are plenty of folks who'd think I'm a cheapskate for buying $200 shoes when there are $700 shoes of even better quality out there....

But if we're talking about shaving, the vast majority of people who just want to look respectable define quality as a tolerably smooth and comfortable shave with a minimum of effort. TBH, if disposables and the Trac II and its descendants hadn't delivered that back in the '70s, everyone would still be using safety razors. In the way that most men define quality, cartridges do provide better quality. It's not *all* marketing. If that were the case, the Techmatic would have succeeded, but it failed, because the quality wasn't there.

Point is, it's not a linear relationship, but in the absence of a willingness to put in real research to find the best price:quality ratio for any given need, price basically works. Businesses have competitors; there's no benefit to offering product at any higher price than the maximum a consumer is willing to pay to meet his need, all else being equal.

But if we're talking about shaving, the vast majority of people who just want to look respectable define quality as a tolerably smooth and comfortable shave with a minimum of effort. TBH, if disposables and the Trac II and its descendants hadn't delivered that back in the '70s, everyone would still be using safety razors. In the way that most men define quality, cartridges do provide better quality. It's not *all* marketing. If that were the case, the Techmatic would have succeeded, but it failed, because the quality wasn't there.
Most people I know would think me crazy for the amount of time I put into a shave. The people who shave like me are a minority and, as you said, most want a tolerably quick shave. Cartridges and canned foam definitely deliver that.

Top Bottom