What's new

Nice Bowl?

I am thinking about purchase this Muhle bowl from Cotton Blossom Crafts, but wanted to check to see if anyone here owns one and would let me know if they like it.

Thanks!

-Brian

proxy.php

thatbrian said:
I am thinking about purchase this Muhle bowl from Cotton Blossom Crafts, but wanted to check to see if anyone here owns one and would let me know if they like it.

I have one of those bowls and don't use it. It's a nice enough looking bowl but very small, it is probably best used for hard soap, just to get the soap onto the brush but then transferring to a bigger bowl to whip the lather.

So...what type of bowls work best?
Are bowls better to create a lather than mugs?
or
Is it better to just make the lather on the face..

srajguru said:
or

A bowl will give you more room for whipping the lather up. I used a large mug (not latte large, just big coffee large) and I was getting carpal tunnel trying to whip up a good lather in it.

Currently, I'm just using a bowl from the cabinet and it is much easier to deal with... I'm on the look out for a fancier bowl that will look nicer, but this one functions just fine.

srajguru said:
or

You'll get mostly "bowls" as an answer, but I prefer lathering directly on face. My lathers are thicker, wetter, and warmer this way. No heat, soap, or water is wasted in the bowl....it all goes on the face. If I had a scuttle, my story might be different.

I use a double bowl to maintain heat. I waste no lather though as my brush picks it all up. I tried a mug but it wasn't letting me get a rich lather going. The bowl is amazing. You want one though with straight as opposed to angled sides. The angled bowls just let the lather shoot right over the edge when I'm whipping it up.

Just saying the words "warm lather" makes me want to shave. So freaking nice.

A hemispherical cereal bowl is just about right: 5" across and 3" deep. Look for something like that in the cabinet and give it a go. Once you identify the general shape and size, you can shop for something special.

I started out with a large coffee mug and have since switched to a bowl. I find the rounded bottom of the bowl makes building a good lather easier. It seemed like a lot of the lather just got lost in the corner between the bottom and sides on the coffee cup. Just my opinion.

Charles

I use a bowl as well. The water here isn't very good for making lather, so lathering on my face isn't really an option, it would be all sudsy...not foamy. Check out a .99 cent store first. I found a set of three really nice glass bowls for less than a dollar. They work perfect for me and I saved a ton of cash as opposed to buying online and paying shipping and all, which leaves more for creams :thumbup:

srajguru said:
Looks like I can stop looking for a shave mug..bowls are easier to find..
Thanks

I think mugs are typically only used with soaps anyway. I've never really heard of many (if any) people using a mug with a cream, at least for any length of time. I think the concept with the mug is to have you puck of soap sitting in the bottom and then to build your lather on the top of the puck.

i searched and search online for the bowl i bought at my local Sur La Table. It's about the size leisureguy described. I really like it alot. It's just a plain white china bowl that cost me under $7. Kinda thinking about getting another one for my cereal exploits! :badger:

I went on a quest for a bowl that was of the right shape and size, yet stylish enough to not throw off our feeble attempts at dressing up our miniscule bathroom. I found this, and it pleased the fiance, so it was good:

Crate & Barrel "Samoa" Line

The "Bowl" is a good thing, but the image on the site is mostly profile. You can see the cool glaze from images of other products in the line. I have heeded LeisureGuy's advice on not choosing something white, as it's hard to see how the lather is progressing while you're whipping it up.

The point is, a well-chosen bowl of any kind can fit the bill, given a comfy diameter for a swirl and enough height to keep the lather from too easily escaping out of the sides. I probably disturbed a few C&B folk by air-swirling with a fictitious brush on the spot, but stranger things have happened.

My silvertip Shavemac + nickel stand is pretty striking sitting right in the middle of this bowl on one of our tiny shelves. It blends into my fledgeling shaving nook quite well. :001_smile

Top Bottom