What's new

Nib sizes question

Am I correct in thinking that one pen makers XF, F, M, W nibs sizes will be different from another ?

The FP that I am now using, a Penn State Industries kit, has a nib marked:
Dayacom, Germany M.

To my eyes, it's pretty thin, and I like them to be wider.
I just ordered a medium Pilot and Hero so I can see how much wider they will be if at all.

I also just found out that ink cartridges are not what I would say conform to a standard size.
Grrrrrrrrrr.

Just a heads-up from someone that doesn't really know much more than you do: Asian nibs run smaller than Western ones, for the most part. The rule of thumb that I've seen used is that an Asian nib typically translates to one size smaller than the same size Western nib. Presumably something about the need to lay down very fine lines for writing small complex characters...

So the Hero and Pilot might write much like your F that you have now.

Or maybe they wont and it's your lucky day!

Most Aisian nibs run fine to extra fine. It is rare to find a broad nib Asain made pen. Even an Asian made medium tends to more like a Western fine. An extra fine/ fine nib will lay down a drier line. I am left handed I use mostly a fine nib. A medium nib will lay done a slightly wetter line and your letters will be thicker, a broad nib puts down the wettest line and produces bolder letters.
Lastly a flex nib will let you adjust the wetness of the line as you write pressing the nib down.

Top Bottom