What's new

Nib Acquisitions for September 2013

I just ordered my 'first' two FPs and a noodler's ink sampler. I ordered a TWSBI 580 w/ M nib, for work/play and a Monteverde Invincia Deluxe w/ fine nib in black chrome for more 'serious' events like signing documents, and holiday cards from the Goulet Pen Co. I would love some ink suggestions to try out, and if Noodler's Baystate Blue looks anything like it does on my computer, I will be stocking up. With my luck they will be here before my razor(s) that were ordered last month (shipping to an APO is crazy sometimes)...

I just ordered my 'first' two FPs and a noodler's ink sampler. I ordered a TWSBI 580 w/ M nib, for work/play and a Monteverde Invincia Deluxe w/ fine nib in black chrome for more 'serious' events like signing documents, and holiday cards from the Goulet Pen Co. I would love some ink suggestions to try out, and if Noodler's Baystate Blue looks anything like it does on my computer, I will be stocking up. With my luck they will be here before my razor(s) that were ordered last month (shipping to an APO is crazy sometimes)...
Ken, Noodler's Baystate Blue has somewhat of a love/hate relationship with the pen community. It's a lovely, vibrant color, but it does have the habit of staining almost everything it comes in contact with...including the insides of fountain pens. Personally, I wouldn't use it except in a cheap pen that I don't mind if it gets stained.

Welcome to The Nib...you've got two excellent pens coming your way. And dealing with the Goulets is always a pleasure!

Ken, Noodler's Baystate Blue has somewhat of a love/hate relationship with the pen community. It's a lovely, vibrant color, but it does have the habit of staining almost everything it comes in contact with...including the insides of fountain pens. Personally, I wouldn't use it except in a cheap pen that I don't mind if it gets stained.

Welcome to The Nib...you've got two excellent pens coming your way. And dealing with the Goulets is always a pleasure!

Thanks for the info about the blue, could this be a reason for just one more pen? I should stop while I'm ahead... just another AD to the collection.

Holy mackerel...yesterday did not turn out as planned. I knew I had two pens coming from some eBay buys (an Indigo Blue Esterbrook J & little Moore lever-filler), but then I was driving near a local antique/junk shop and stopped in to see if there was anything new. I ended up coming home with a Carmine Red Esterbrook Dollar Pen and a lovely pearl/marble Waterman's Ideal with a nice flexy nib. Then, last night, a friend handed me a bag full of pens & pencils she had laying around the house. There's a bunch of interesting pens in there which still need to be sorted, cleaned, identified, and repaired if necessary. The nicest find so far in that bag was a black Parker 51 Demi pen and pencil set, with lovely gold-filled caps. The pen is a Vac-filler and will need to be sent out for repair, but otherwise, they're in beautiful condition. There's plenty to keep me busy for the next week of so! Pictures to follow once I get my act together!

I finally got a chance to sort through the acquisitions, do some basic clean-up and snap a few photos of the haul.

Here's what I got from eBay and the local "Junque Shoppe":

proxy.php

Top is green-marbled Moore, then a Dubonnet Red Esterbrook Dollar Pen, an Indigo Model "J", and a wild, swirly celluloid Watermans. All except the "J" need new sacs.

Then from "goody bag" given me by my friend, there's this lot:

proxy.php

From the left:
- A Wirt BCHR eyedropper, patent date 1903. It has some browning/oxidation on the hard rubber, but otherwise is great. At least it doesn't need a new sac!
- A Parker 51 Demi Fountain Pen (Vac filler) & Mechanical Pencil. Black body with 14K gold-filled caps. Except for needing the filler mechanism repaired, they're in great shape.
- A no-name piston filler. Feels kind of cheap and a lot of plating loss on hardware, but the filler seems to work OK.
- Another no-name piston filler. Also some plating loss, and the filler will need some work.
- A Moore "Servo" Pen & Pencil set. Nice shape, just needs a new sac.
- A Waterman's Pen & Pencil set...I believe this is the "Taperite" model with anodized aluminum caps. Needs new sac and the caps fit loosely.
- A Red Sheaffer School Pen, cartridge-filler. Very cheap plastic, not at all like some of the other transparent plastic School Pens.
- A Wearever mechanical pencil. Looks and operates fine.
- A no-name mechanical pencil. Nice veined marble look.
- A Parker mechanical pencil. Model unknown.

All of these pens, with the exception of the Esterbrooks and the Sheaffer School Pen, have gold nibs.

Today's nib arrival via USPS:

Sheaffer Statesman, Touchdown Filler, Green, F and an Aerometric Parker 51 Special, Black, F

$IMG_20130909_132619.jpg $IMG_20130909_132718.jpg

And a Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator, F

$IMG_20130909_132853.jpg $IMG_20130909_132911.jpg

I finally got a chance to sort through the acquisitions, do some basic clean-up and snap a few photos of the haul.

- A Waterman's Pen & Pencil set...I believe this is the "Taperite" model with anodized aluminum caps. Needs new sac and the caps fit loosely.

On those Taperites, the cap actually snaps on (as opposed to the pure friction fit of the similar Parker 51), but you do have to give it a bit of a push to get to the point it snaps on. Don't go crazy, but try giving it a bit of a push to see if you get that snap. You should. Just a tip.

On those Taperites, the cap actually snaps on (as opposed to the pure friction fit of the similar Parker 51), but you do have to give it a bit of a push to get to the point it snaps on. Don't go crazy, but try giving it a bit of a push to see if you get that snap. You should. Just a tip.
Thanks! I figured it out yesterday...yes, it needs a pretty firm push to get it to snap in place. That problem's solved. Now...my big challenge is going to be opening the pen up so I can replace the sac. Do you have any shortcuts? From the reading I've done, these pens are one of the toughest to repair.

BTW, the "official" designation of this pen is a Waterman's Taperite Crusader. I hope I'm able to get it up and running. It's definitely growing on me.

Last edited:
Now...my big challenge is going to be opening the pen up so I can replace the sac. Do you have any shortcuts? From the reading I've done, these pens are one of the toughest to repair.

I wish I had good advice for you. Mine came to me restored, fortunately. I have read the same thing you have about the Taperites. Good luck with it!

I recently purchased three new bottles ink (they have been slightly used). Two DeAtramentis inks, Rembrandt and Michelangelo, one bottle of Iroshizuku Shin-Kai. I know that for many people DeAtramentis ink is not the top of list of inks to have,
I'm the expectation I happen to enjoy their inks and their unique colors and their interesting scents.I will post a full ink review soon.

Attachments

• $Top.jpg
    $Top.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 82
  • $IMG_0171.jpg
    $IMG_0171.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 81
No pics, but scored a good deal on a Parker Sonnet flighter with a gold-plated steel nib and an interesting UK Parker 95 flighter with what appears to be a factory medium italic (almost a cursive italic, as the shoulders are not too sharp).

The nib on the Sonnet is interesting - while its a bottom of the line nib (in terms of the options available on the Sonnet) and can use a bit of tweaking, what I like about the nib is that it has a little flex/spring that provides a bit of line variation and the sort of feel I like from my nibs (akin to some of the vintage nibs that, while not flex nibs, have some life/personality to them).

Pens from Peyton Street Pens arrived in the post this afternoon :w00t:

Listed as NOS Seconds, they are usergrades, probably should give them a clean but couldn't avoid the temptation to flush and ink them and worry about the appearance later on.

Sheaffer Imperial III Touchdown

Sheaffer 330 Imperial

Andy, I've been tempted by some of those Peyton Street NOS Sheaffer seconds, also. How would you describe the cosmetic defects? Are they really ugly or just some minor marks that most people wouldn't even notice with a casual glance? Do you think they can be cleaned and/or polished up to reduce or eliminate the flaws?

Andy, I've been tempted by some of those Peyton Street NOS Sheaffer seconds, also. How would you describe the cosmetic defects? Are they really ugly or just some minor marks that most people wouldn't even notice with a casual glance? Do you think they can be cleaned and/or polished up to reduce or eliminate the flaws?

They could be cleaned up for the most part, but some flaking of the chrome possibly couldn't be fixed.
Second picture is of rust inside the cap.

Would be good for a desk pen, but personally not one that I would carry everyday in my pocket.

SWMBO gave me a beautiful FP with a wooden barrel and cap she found at a "trinkets and trash" shop in Hot Springs last fall. Bless her little heart, it came with an IPG nib. Despite the misaligned tines and feed I tried to make this pen work. No such luck. I was really unsure about what to about a replacement nib because it was obvious this was a pen made from a kit and I had no idea about nib sizes, whether or not the space in the cap was deep enough to accept a different nib, were the threads the same...

A quick exchange of brief emails and... ta-da!! Brian at Edison Pen Co. comes to the rescue with a replacement 18k two-tone fine gold nib. Now it works like a champ (please don't tell SWMBO I did this).

$IMG_20130911_132503.jpg

$IMG_20130911_132835.jpg

I'll trade out a nib, but not SWMBO!

Top Bottom