What's new

Nib Acquisitions, December 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm the one who should apologize for being that damn stupid. It takes a converter.

Just gorgeous! With the mosquito filler it had to have a converter! What kind of converter is in it? How much ink is it supposed to hold? Which size Nib did you get?

Cheers

M.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418267983.028481.jpg
This is the converter. For this kind of money, you get a converter with a V on it. I can't tell how much ink it takes. It will also take international cartridges. The owners manual says you can even store an extra cartridge inside. The mosquito filler you saw goes with the blue typhoon. The mosquito filler this pen is smaller. This pen, you attach the filler to the converter to draw up ink. The blue typhoon filler, you stick right over the nib to draw up ink. The nib is medium. It's not gold. I think it's palladium or some sort of steel. It's called the 18 chrome tubular dream touch nib. I can attest to how nice it feels because I haven't inked it up yet. The nib on the blue typhoon is the nicest nib I own. It's called the 23 kt palladium dream touch,, I think

Got this Sheaffer Crest Snorkel in the mail today. I just got done putting a new sack and seals in it. Works great!

$20141211_142141.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That Crest is a handsome pen, good score.

How's that ink smell? I'm betting pretty good ... :thumbup1:

Goulet order just arrived :w00t:

Picked up the Conklin Duragraph, and I'm in love :001_tt1::love-struck:

For a $44 pen, the packaging is fantastic, far better than some more expensive pens I've brought.

Of course, I inked it up as soon as I took pictures, buttery smooth nib.

I think I have just caught CPAD (Conklin Pen Aquision Disorder)

Also picked up a new Preppy EF, EF nib for my Edison, and some ink.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
1953 ? Parker 51 green pen and pencil set
1950 Parker 51 Flighter
1947-48 ? Parker 51 Vac
New Nemosine Ltd Fission EF nib
Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Kai ink
Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Ryoku ink
Noodlers Atietam ink
Rhodia dot pad
Spencerian theory and copy booklets

Attachments

• $IMG_8314[1].jpg
    $IMG_8314[1].jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 116
  • $IMG_8315[1].jpg
    $IMG_8315[1].jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 118
1953 ? Parker 51 green pen and pencil set
1950 Parker 51 Flighter
1947-48 ? Parker 51 Vac
New Nemosine Ltd Fission EF nib
Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Kai ink
Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Ryoku ink
Noodlers Atietam ink
Rhodia dot pad
Spencerian theory and copy booklets
Now that is one heck of a haul. Very nice. Congratulations:thumbup1:

P.S. I'm jealous of that Flighter:drool:

I'm off the rails.

The Studio I posted about on the first page is here but I also managed 2 other pickups in the meantime. I'm supposed to be getting rid of pens. Now I have to get rid of six pens.

Attachments

• $IMG_2050.jpg
    $IMG_2050.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 116
  • $IMG_2053.jpg
    $IMG_2053.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 114
Nice haul, Chris. How do you like the Studio compared to the Lamy 2000? I like the looks of it, all except that shiny metal grip section. That's a deal breaker for me.

I'm off the rails.

The Studio I posted about on the first page is here but I also managed 2 other pickups in the meantime. I'm supposed to be getting rid of pens. Now I have to get rid of six pens.
Awesome Pick Ups! Love me some Lamy's...Kaweco's too. Very Nice:thumbup1: Which nibs did you get?

Nice haul, Chris. How do you like the Studio compared to the Lamy 2000? I like the looks of it, all except that shiny metal grip section. That's a deal breaker for me.

Two very different pens. The Studio is a bit heavier but it is really well balanced. The shiny section doesn't bother me. Also, some people turn it into a brushed section with some ScotchBrite. The Studio reminds me of the Cross ATX, which is one of my favorites - also with a metal section. The 2000 is just great and I can see why it has been relatively unchanged for 50 years. I read reviews that said it just felt good in the hand and I find that to be very true.

Awesome Pick Ups! Love me some Lamy's...Kaweco's too. Very Nice:thumbup1: Which nibs did you get?

Funny you should ask. My typical nib choice is medium. I find fine points too scratchy for me and my writing is so sloppy that a bold nib is a nightmare. So medium seems to work for me. The Kaweco is medium and it is just what I expect out of a medium nib. I can't stop writing with the pen. It was an impulse buy from Pen Chalet on their 12 days of Christmas sale - 25%off!

I didn't do enough research on Lamy before jumping in. I tried the Safari awhile back and did not like it. It wasn't just the grip - I just couldn't get into it. Then, recently, I have been reading lots of info about how wonderful the 2000 is. So I ordered one in Medium, as that is my usual choice. Then I read that Lamy nibs run wide.

While waiting for the 2000 in the mail, I found the Studio in a local pen shop. It was a fine point and when I dip tested it, it was perfect.

A couple of days later the 2000 arrived and the medium proved way too wide for me. As luck would have it, I found another member in the opposite situation. He bought a fine and it was too fine and wanted a medium. I had a medium and wanted a fine, so we traded. Now I have the 2000 in fine and it is perfect.

To make a long story longer and to answer the question, the Kaweco is medium and the two Lamys (after some doing) are both fine.

Chris, Awesome story about how the pens turned out for you. I too have a 2000 in fine and really like its size; How does the medium Kaweco nib compare in size to the Lamy if you don't mind me asking?

Guess which ones I took home?
$unnamed.jpg
That's right .. NONE :001_rolle So I guess technically I don't qualify to write here :sneaky2: It's a local add picture, I was so disappointed to see that those are not 3 Parker 51's or a bunch of Parker 45's etc .. all were some knockoff brands, which I would have still picked up if they were not in bad shape nib/filler wise .. oh well :huh:

Vercin, Sorry about the dissapointment. For what its worth, I had guessed "all of them" before looking at your spoiler:lol:

Chris, Awesome story about how the pens turned out for you. I too have a 2000 in fine and really like its size; How does the medium Kaweco nib compare in size to the Lamy if you don't mind me asking?

The Lamy fine is a bit finer than the Kaweco medium but not too much. Of course, I have heard that there can be quite a bit of variation in the 2000 among nibs of the same nominal width.

Got this Sheaffer Snorkel Signature over the weekend. I don't think it had ever been used. For what ever reason, the original owner opted to have his name engraved in block letters on the 14k band instead of sending it in to have his signature inscribed (I would have liked it if it had the actual sig. engraved) But, beggars can't be choosers, and I figure the scrap gold in it would be worth the $35.00 i paid for it. I put put a new sack, point seal and o-ring in it and its writing great!

$20141215_105205.jpg

I picked up at least 5 kilos of Tsubame notebooks, an Ash paperweight, and four Sailors (three being Pro Gear Slims). Nib on standard 1911 is MS while the other three are (in ascending order) Z, M, and EF. I'm considering selling the Z as I don't have a lot of use for it and just wanted to give it a whirl. The EF and M are lovely and the MS is the one I plan on writing my Christmas cards with. Just wish they were vac-based fillers :blushing:

$IMG_20141215_220400.jpg

I just got my very first FPs, I think this could be the start of a new acquisition disorder!!!!
charcoal Lamy with fine nib
Waterman Phileas with fine nib
$image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom