What's new

Nib Acquisitions, December 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
an ultrasonic is very efficient at cleaning. i have a different one but i use the heck out of it. from cleaning cubic inches of frustration (walbro carburetors for chainsaw restorations) to stripped-down firearm parts to montblanc nibs, if you clean little things, it's money well-spent.

for pen stuff, i use water and a little photo-flo. rarely some ammonia. and while I'll hit the timer button and drop them in and let 'er rip when cleaning carbs or gun or car stuff, for pen stuff, I will hold the nib/feed in my fingers and swirl it around when sonicating it. Also lets me know if the water's getting hot, which it rarely does since I don't blast them as long as other stuff.

you can do damage with an ultrasonic but it's worth the little bit or research on what to avoid...

Jut, I was amazed at how quickly and thoroughly the ultrasound cleaned up the Esterbrook nib. I only ran it for about 3 minutes and the old, dried-up ink just poured out of the nib. Much better than just soaking.

Hey Jut. I thought the same way until just a few days ago. I saw an ultrasonic cleaner on YouTube completely clean caked on gunk from nuts and bolts in a matter of minutes. I don't have one yet but it's on my list

an ultrasonic is very efficient at cleaning. i have a different one but i use the heck out of it. from cleaning cubic inches of frustration (walbro carburetors for chainsaw restorations) to stripped-down firearm parts to montblanc nibs, if you clean little things, it's money well-spent.

for pen stuff, i use water and a little photo-flo. rarely some ammonia. and while I'll hit the timer button and drop them in and let 'er rip when cleaning carbs or gun or car stuff, for pen stuff, I will hold the nib/feed in my fingers and swirl it around when sonicating it. Also lets me know if the water's getting hot, which it rarely does since I don't blast them as long as other stuff.

you can do damage with an ultrasonic but it's worth the little bit or research on what to avoid...
Thanks for the input guys; It looks like I will be putting one on my list of things to buy:thumbup1:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I bought an US cleaner for gun parts and cleaning brass for reloading. Tried it on some razors, it will remove painted numbers on Slims and Fat Boys. I have not used it on pens as of yet. Caution is the word on using an US cleaner on delicate finishes and parts.

I bought an US cleaner for gun parts and cleaning brass for reloading. Tried it on some razors, it will remove painted numbers on Slims and Fat Boys. I have not used it on pens as of yet. Caution is the word on using an US cleaner on delicate finishes and parts.
Thanks for the tip...i've been reading about others having such problems

Woe, thanx for the extra info. I'd hate to lose some painted on wording or numbers.

Made a morning run to the local antique malls and landed a couple of decent scores.

First was a very nice red-silver-black striated Wearever Pacemaker from the 1940s. I'm a bit of a sucker for the inexpensive Wearevers. This was a top-of-the-line pen with a sweet semi-flex 14K gold nib. This one was already restored and just needed a good flushing to put it back in business.

$IMG_2165.jpg

$IMG_2166.jpg

From the same store, I also found an almost full bottle of vintage Waterman's Blue-Black ink. It's loaded in the Wearever Pacemaker and seems to be an excellent performer. I was surprised that it was still in good shape, with no sediment or gunk. Nice ink and originally sold for a nice price (19 cents)!

$IMG_2167.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great scores, Larry. I've got the nearly identical ink; no price and a black cap on mine.

Beautiful Wearever!

580? 700?

Correct on both accounts. The 700 is a substantial pen. In my head it looked a lot smaller and lighter than it actually is. It's got a very nice heft to it that I just wasn't expecting but really appreciate. It'll easily hold a ton of ink. The filling mechanism is really cool. I flushed it through with some water to play with it and it's addicting to fill. That capacity is going to make switching out inks a lot rarer than some other pens. I haven't filled it yet because I've blanked on what ink I want to load it with. While I ponder, I ordered the Vac 20 Inkwell. I'll properly ink it when that arrives. The 580 just got loaded with Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. Interesting color. I'm not sure why I bought it, but it's a keeper.

Here's a photo of the black glass elephant rocker blotter that I snagged a couple of days ago, along with my Esterbrook desk pen set.

$IMG_2169.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom