What's new

Nib Acquisitions, August 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
$20150807_090748.jpg

Just in from Japan. Pilot Custom 74 w/ Con 70 converter. A great writer, and I really like the Con 70 converter....works just like an old Vacumatic, but much easier to clean!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A great writer, and I really like the Con 70 converter....works just like an old Vacumatic, but much easier to clean!

Kind of like a Vac -- similar, yet there's no diaphragm or breather tube in the CON70 and no seal on the Vac. Maybe the pumping operation feels the same, just sayin' :001_smile

Congrats on the pen acquisition though, I really like my old green 74 (once I got rid of a little nib problem).

Maybe the pumping operation feels the same(once I got rid of a little nib problem).
That's what i meant....4 or 5 pumps with the nib in the ink, like a vac; not just one pump like on a button filler.

Parker Vacumatic, Easerbrook and Waterman mechanical pencil at local flea market on Saturday. $10 for all three.

Same flea market on Sunday, different vendor. Parker 21 for $2.

Beerman

Sally's boss passed along an old bottle of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue ink. He said it should work well in my old pens. It's 80% full and the ink is clear.

He's a yard sale addict. Is there anyway to date the bottle?

Hit a sale this morning, and bought 2 complete Rapidograph 7 pen sets for $1.00 each... (How strange they even had 2 there?)
Looks like pens for artists or technical drawings, I'm guessing.
It's a wild world out there.
LOL...

Here's my wife's Dad's everyday work pen. - Sheaffer Snorkel Signature with a medium nib... Danny really got the everyday carry out of this pen. 1960s

Here's a 1948 Parker 51 Vac fine point. It also showed the signs of being carried everyday before Danny got hold of it.
$DSC_0222 - 1948 51 Vac Restored.jpg

Here's a Sheaffer Valiant Touchdown with a very smooth bold nib. It's a great writer. 1949 to 1952 is as close as I can get to aging this one. Feel free to jump in...
$DSC_0213 - Restored Touchdown.jpg

The Parker and the Touchdown are both $5.00, buried in a box of old pens, antique store finds.

Very nice pens Bob! I assume that it is your father in law's signature that is engraved on that snorkel? What a great heirloom to have.

Very nice pens Bob! I assume that it is your father in law's signature that is engraved on that snorkel? What a great heirloom to have.

That is Jim's signature. He was a pilot in Korea. He came back, went to college and pharmacy school, got married, then worked for Parke Davis (the pen's source) as a detail man. (sold drugs to doctors, clinics, hospitals, etc...) Sally was around twelve when he died. The pen sat in a pen cup on his desk for over thirty-five years by his pharmaceutical books. No one played with it or even touched it. The top of that desk never changed. When Sally's Mom had to go to a nursing home we cleaned up the house and the stuff on the desktop went home with us. Sally discovered the pen a few weeks ago and we decided to fix it up and give it to one Jim's sons or grand kids.

OK, gang. Here it is...my DC Fountain Pen Supershow loot. I think I've satisfied my cravings for a few weeks at least!

First was some inks.
- KWZ Mandarin (Iron Gall ink from Poland)
- Aurora Black. Thought I'd finally see what all the fuss was about!
- Two Noodler's, Navy and a back up bottle of Bad Belted Kingfisher.

proxy.php

Next were some inexpensive, but interesting vintage pens.

Left, is an interesting button filler in a very pretty red & gold celluloid. It's an English Mentmore
Next is a Unique, another English pen
Finally is a Lifelong fountain pen and pencil set. Low-end construction but I love the swirly butterscotch color.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Next is the new Franklin-Christoph Model 20. The swirled red and black acrylic is new for F-C and it was going quite fast! Instead of a hard-shell case, they now use a very nice leather single pen pouch. I think it's much more usable and looks great.

This new model has a slip cap instead of the usual threaded cap. The pen has a fine steel nib. They were out of the Masuyama stub that I really wanted, so I may purchase one later and swap it in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Finally, my last pen is a Bexley special edition, manufactured in 2001 for Jim Gaston, a noted collector and dealer from Arkansas. The pen has a fantastic Waterman 18K medium nib and is made from a beautiful red and black rippled (wood-grain) Ebonite, with ivory caps.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

(Excuse the ink all over the nib...it seems that Noodler's Navy likes to coat this particular nib!)

Last edited:
My DC pen show haul...except for the Goslings :)

Not pictured is a FC model 66 pocket. They were out of stock so i picked my nib and they will ship the pen to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here is my DC Show haul. I was a little disappointed the FC 27 pen I really thought I would like did not fit my hand as well as I had hoped. Spoke with their staff a little and came up with some alternatives, but ended up not making a purchase today. But did end up making some other purchases:

$image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom