What's new

NFL loosens rules on touchdown celebrations

Too bad. IMV your first career TD go for it. After that no big deal. That's why your being paid (millions). Act like you've been there before.

Too bad. IMV your first career TD go for it. After that no big deal. That's why your being paid (millions). Act like you've been there before.
:a14::a14: Exactly, behave like you've been there before.

I do get a kick out of the differences though in baseball vs. football. Flip your bat after hitting a home run and the world comes to an end, score a touchdown and you can put on chorus line in the end zone.

I can remember when end zone celebrations started with Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. He made it fun, and it was fresh then.

The Washington Redskins "Fun Bunch" (painful) was what brought in the rules change.

Barry Sanders was the king of "act like you've been there before."

I don't know. I think everyone should perform the extreme theatrics if they do their job well.

I expand and mold foam beads at work. The control room is 2 flights of steps up in the rafters of the building. When I hit all the metrics we use to measure the quality, I typically will grab a sample, slide down the railing of the 2 flights of steps, then jump and skip to the daylight maintenance guy who's usually standing around and spike the sample in front of him and dance a jig. I thought it was just normal to do this any time you just do the job you're paid to do.

I don't know. I think everyone should perform the extreme theatrics if they do their job well.

I expand and mold foam beads at work. The control room is 2 flights of steps up in the rafters of the building. When I hit all the metrics we use to measure the quality, I typically will grab a sample, slide down the railing of the 2 flights of steps, then jump and skip to the daylight maintenance guy who's usually standing around and spike the sample in front of him and dance a jig. I thought it was just normal to do this any time you just do the job you're paid to do.

I like your enthusiasm!

Barry Sanders. That's who I immediately thought of when I read of the No Fun League's loosening of the "rules".
Act like you've been there before, baby.

What about the celebrations after each play? They celebrate a first down, a completed pass, a tackle, and then on a touchdown. Talk about boring. Lombardi's Packers won championships, Paul Brown's Cleveland Browns were taken apart by the NFL because no one could beat them. Neither team did a celebration except in the locker room after the Championship game. Now those teams had class. They created the NFL.

What about the celebrations after each play? They celebrate a first down, a completed pass, a tackle, and then on a touchdown. Talk about boring. Lombardi's Packers won championships, Paul Brown's Cleveland Browns were taken apart by the NFL because no one could beat them. Neither team did a celebration except in the locker room after the Championship game. Now those teams had class. They created the NFL.
+1. Couldn't agree more.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's just a game. I don't care if you do back flips for 20 yards after every TD. Or you just calmly walk away.

As long as my team wins. Aren't games supposed to be fun?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I really don't pay it much heed. The only time I do it is when a Steeler (my team) celebrates a play while they are losing. I instantly think "cut it out- you're still losing".

I find the hot-doggery celebrations to be kind of annoying but not nearly as annoying as the NFL overtime rules. Every team should be allowed a "response" possession even if the opposing team scores a touchdown. The sudden death upon scoring a touchdown is unfair if the other team isn't allowed a chance to do the same.

Not NFL, but I don't understand footballers who take their shirt off when they score and whirl it around their head. What's that all about??

I'm glad they're loosening up on celebrations. It's a game after all, so have fun. The NFL takes itself too seriously sometimes. I celebrate when I score 20 points in dominoes, and that's with like 4 people in the room. :badger:

I can remember when end zone celebrations started with Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. He made it fun, and it was fresh then.

The Washington Redskins "Fun Bunch" (painful) was what brought in the rules change.

Barry Sanders was the king of "act like you've been there before."

I'm decidedly old school: act like you've been there before.

Top Bottom