What's new

Next step to a real pen

I know these show up left and right but today I am actively shopping.
I am ready to take the step up and buy a "real" pen

I love the feel and weight of the Pilot Metropolitan but even using the Fine tip from the 78G the tip could have been better and then I LOVE the Ex-Fine Lamy Safari tips but the pen is just a little heavy for me. I hope this helps you all make suggestion's.

Thanks

what kind of budget are you looking at for this purchase ?

These Monteverde Intimas are a good value for a great looking pen with a lot of Nib options for you

If you have a higher budget in mind there are great pens from Pilot, or Sailor that would meet your needs

and of course you can never go wrong with a Pelikan

I would think $100 would be the limit but as I think, if you have a $50 pen preference list that and then I think I will allow myself to grow on the $100 pens :)

The $100 limit puts you in line for a Pelikan. I have 5 of them and love them. Great ink capacity and they write like a dream. I just got a Blue Swirl with an OM nib for less than $100 on the B/S/T. It is my daily writer now.

Personally, I don't think you can do better for $75 than a Danitrio Cum Laude with a Fine nib. It's a big pen, but it's lightweight and made out of wonderful materials (ebonite grip and celluloid barrel/cap).

The Pilot Prera might be another good option.

-Andy

Last edited:
Lots of possibilities already noted above. Something like a Pelikan M205 or M200 would definitely be a step up, but there are so many good pens out there that it's hard to say "this is the one" even given a price limit.

It's interesting that you find the Safari too heavy, though, as most people would see it as a very light pen. Could it be the balance rather than the weight? How does it feel if you write with the cap unposted? Instead of putting the cap on the back of the pen, try putting it in your pocket so you won't lose it. I don't think you're going to find a much lighter pen, but maybe it will feel more natural to you that way. And I say that as someone who almost always posts the caps on his pens.

Your price range has a huge number of potential candidates...the Nib Wiki has a fairly comprehensive list of Medium Budget Pens. Andy's suggestion of the Danitrio Cum Laude is a good one, but be aware that it's a LARGE pen, although fairly light in weight. If you have small hands, it might be a bit overwhelming.

Wanted to update on the Safari as I researched weight vs balance. It would appear my issue is more of a balance issue or not. My issue may be the shape of the Safari. Note: It does feel a lot better to use it without the cap. If I keep the cap on the top, it makes it harder to use for me.

Yeah I saw the Lamy part but not the Safari, lol. What a dummy I am.

No big deal. I really just wanted to post some Monty Python, is all. I was wondering if the OP meant Al-Star given the weight comment. I always figured the Safari was a lightweight pen, but I've never held one.

-Andy

Wanted to update on the Safari as I researched weight vs balance. It would appear my issue is more of a balance issue or not. My issue may be the shape of the Safari. Note: It does feel a lot better to use it without the cap. If I keep the cap on the top, it makes it harder to use for me.

The only pen I post is my Kaweco Sport, and that's out of necessity. I find that all other pens feel unbalanced when they're posted. I'd rather have a pen that's nib heavy, rather than tail(?) heavy.

-Andy

I dont own a pelikan, but I have used them and I would recommend an m150. Pelikan makes some of the smoothest pens around. The m150 that I tried was as smooth or smoother than my Mont Blanc. The piston filler is a great feature too.

Next on the list would be a TWSBI Diamond 580 and spend the extra money on ink/a few more nibs.

I would say that if you're patient, the Internet will reward you with a Pelikan M200 or maybe a Vanishing Point if you like that. At $50 I'd consider a TWSBI 580 or a Mini.

Top Bottom