What's new

Next step for better shave

I've been using the Merkur 34C that was recommended to me on this forum with Derby Extra blades for more than a year, and it's working pretty well. I still wonder, what's the best way to improve the shave from here? Feather blades? Slanted razor (and if so, Merkur 37C or something else)? Or even a different non-slanted one?

I would humbly suggest a blade sampler. It's a good and cheap way to diversify. West coast shaving some good ones that include feathers. I'm sure amazon or other shaving sites offer them as well.

If you go the new razor route, an open comb or slant could be quite interesting...

start with a blade sampler and see how it goes. remember, most blades are gonna be sharper than your derbys so exercise a bit of caution, but you've got some experience with a year under your belt so i wouldn't worry excessively. after you've sampled some other blades and found your favorite, definitely give a slant a try, they're fantastic. the merkur slant is great. i personally prefer the 39c because it's longer and heavier and that works better with the way i grip my razor, but the head is the same on the 37c so it's purely a matter of preference. after you've tried blades and a slant, i'd recommend branching out into a new and different lathering product. what soap(s)/cream(s) have you been using?

edit: and if you look into another razor that is NOT a slant, i'd recommend a gilette superspeed for something different from what you're used to with the merkur. if you tried a muhle/EJ or anything else, you'd probably feel that it shaves similarly, but gilettes are noticeably different imo. you can often find them for cheap and in good condition on the B/S/T.

Last edited:
I did exactly what you have been doing (Merkur HD with Derby Blades for a Year). My next step was a blade sampler.

I still use the Merkur HD but I have ditched the Derby's. The blade sampler let me find what worked best for me.

I also experimented with different soaps.

The one negative I have noticed about Derbys vs Astra blades is the your 5 o'clock shadow will show up sooner with the derby blades.

start with a blade sampler and see how it goes. remember, most blades are gonna be sharper than your derbys so exercise a bit of caution, but you've got some experience with a year under your belt so i wouldn't worry excessively. after you've sampled some other blades and found your favorite, definitely give a slant a try, they're fantastic. the merkur slant is great. i personally prefer the 39c because it's longer and heavier and that works better with the way i grip my razor, but the head is the same on the 37c so it's purely a matter of preference. after you've tried blades and a slant, i'd recommend branching out into a new and different lathering product. what soap(s)/cream(s) have you been using?

edit: and if you look into another razor that is NOT a slant, i'd recommend a gilette superspeed for something different from what you're used to with the merkur. if you tried a muhle/EJ or anything else, you'd probably feel that it shaves similarly, but gilettes are noticeably different imo. you can often find them for cheap and in good condition on the B/S/T.

And if you should go with a Superspeed flare-tip: blue or black tips are mild, plain metal tip is normal, and red tip is a bit more aggressive. I get good results with the normal and the red tips.

Try Astra SP and also some Feather blades and see what you think.If that's good,cool.If not,hang on to those blades and buy a stainless steel Weber Razor to put them in.

Last edited:
Thanks for a lot of interesting suggestions! I was worried about the sharpness of other blades, but a sampler is certainly the most simple way to upgrade, so I will try one with caution. I imagine it takes some time to get used to sharper blades, so I'll see about trying slant later so I don't cut my face off with too many improvements at once. :) At the mention of vintage razors like Gillette I remember that I have to find out what kind of razor my late grandfather used. It's only collecting dust now, so if it's a good one I might as well use it. As for soap, I've been using http://mamabearssoaps.com because I prefer products without too many strange chemicals or perfume, but speak up if I should try something else.

There are lots of different sample packs around. Which other blades than Feather and Astra SP are really good and worth trying?

Top Bottom