What's new

Next Scotch to buy?

I've probably had about 20 different kinds of scotches. I've had one's I liked more and one's where I had one drink and woke up the next morning nausiated and hungover. Recently, I had the Ardbeg Uigeadail and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite scotch to date. I've had entry level? Laphroaigh and wasn't a big fan, so not gonna like a scotch just cause it's smokey/Islay. One of my others favorites was a 12 year Dalmore. I am not a big fan of carmelly scotches like McCallan, and the wrong sort of peat flavor can definitely turn my stomach.

I'm looking to spend around 80-110 on a scotch, though lower or higher isn't a dealbreaker. Speyside is probably the region from which I've had the most scotch, so I'm learning towards any other region. Any reccommendations?

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you like Uigeadail, then Ardbeg 10 is a natural place to look for the next thing to try. I'd also look at Bruichladdich Classic Laddie (blue bottle) or Islay Barley (yellow bottle). All those are significantly lower priced than your stated range but are excellent whiskies.

On that, don't be afraid of lower priced whiskies. There's lots of great stuff out there for well under $80. In fact, it's probably worth your while to pick up a half pint (or couple of airplane bottles) of Johnny Walker Black. It's good stuff with a touch of smoky peat, and it always has a place on my shelf. Double Black is pretty good, too, but certainly more polarizing.

That said, Lagavulin 16 is on the higher end of your stated range, and many Islay lovers call it their favorite. For a few more bucks, you can check out the Distiller's Edition (my favorite) that has the sherry finish you got in the Uigeadail.

If you want to try a great Highland whisky that isn't smoky but also doesn't have that heavy caramel you mentioned, look at Glenmorangie Original.

Lagavulin 16 is my favorite but it is $99.99 for a bottle here in the Houston area. I can get an Ardbeg 10 for half the price and it gives me my peat/smoke flavor I want. But... I always have a bottle of the Lagavulin on hand for special occasions.

One of my favorites is Lagavulan 16. its been recommended already so I’ll recommend Oban 14. I open a bottle of Oban every December and leave a glass for Santa with his cookies on Christmas Eve. Oban and Lag are both around a hundred bucks but I found both at Costco for around $70 in California.

I am liking 18 yo Aberlour lately and I think it fits your price range. Very middle of the road. It is Speyside.

I like Talisker. I have not have the Dark Storm or 18 yo versions. I think of the 10 yo as pretty smoky, so you may not like.

Mention of Oban reminds me how much I enjoyed that scotch and that I should look out for it next time.

Lagavulin 16 is my all time favourite and I hope to be able to afford it again some day.

I recommend Highland Park, though I can’t give you a description. It’s from Orkney.

1615647002749.png

L
Why is a 12yr Lagavulan $145ish and a 16yr is $100ish?

The 12 year is cask strength and the best Scotch I’ve ever had, hands down. It’s like a rainbow of fireworks in your mouth, every sip is different from the last.

The 16 is rounder, creamier, less exciting version of the 12 and a classic for a reason. One of the most well balanced and excellent of malts to be sure. Buy them both.

Thanks for the suggestions and great info! I want to buy so many now. I got a Glen Morangie Quinta Ruban and a Lagavulin Distillers Edition. The Quinta Ruban has amazing flavors that are so unlike the Ardbeg Uigeadail, Uigeadail is still my favorite though. The Quinta Ruban is finished in port casks, I like ports and it really reminds me of a blend of a port and a scotch. I haven't opened the Lagavulin yet, but really wanna get the 16 and 12 now, as well as Talisker 10, Ardbeg 10, the other Ardbegs and all the others mentioned. I don't think Michigan sells Talisker Dark Storm, but would be interested in trying that too.

Surprisingly, nobody has mentioned the Macallan - definitely the king of Scotch whisky. They can go for thousands of dollars a bottle, based upon the specific age. But I have not found a Scotch that will beat the 12 year Macallan, which still has a reasonable price. I also find the Johnny Walker Blue blend to be very good (if you feel like spending).

Top Bottom