What's new

Next razor decision tree: Blackbird, Yates 921 H, Lupo 95 OC, or …?

I am contemplating a higher efficiency razor purchase. I currently have a Blackland Vector SS SB, Blackland Era (level 4 and 5 SB), Blackland Sabre (level 1), and Razorock Hawk V2 (SB) and V3 (SB and OC). The Blackland Vector with a Feather Pro blade currently offers the most effective BBS outcomes with highest shave comfort. But it still requires a 3 pass + touchup to get there with my coarse beard hair in the usual suspect regions. And I remain a bit challenged on deploying the Vector ATG in the mustache region.

One of the superpowers of the Vector is its low head weight, which I feel allows me to achieve the least or no neck irritation when delicately shaving ATG. So I have been considering a higher efficiency option in the DE realm with a goal of modest weight (excluding aluminum). After reviewing a number of threads I think the following might be candidates for a higher efficiency razor that remains relatively comfortable/smooth for a daily shaving routine.

Since this matrix is just myself operating on intuition and forum member thread snippets, I was hoping those that might have used or contemplated these razors could offer some perspective (or maybe additional razors that should be considered)

[Estimated Scoring]​

Blackbird Ti SBYates 921 H Ti SBLupo .95 OC (Ti handle)
Efficiency
++​
++
Smoothnessoo-
Aesthetics
++​
-+
Weight- -- ?+
Maneuverabilityooo
Cost+++
- -​

Why
Reputation for high efficiency with low aggression. Overall design aesthetics.
Performance and head design approaching Blackbird but at a reduced cost.Lower profile head, efficiency, aesthethics, and low cost (relative to Blackbird and Yates).
ConcernsHead design may feel bulky vs Vector and Lupo. Cost.Head design may feel bulky vs Vector and Lupo. I don't love the razor aesthethics.Lower efficiency and comfort vs Blackbird and Yates

Comparative scale for the listed razors:
++ much higher, + higher, o same or neutral, - less, - - much less

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't use a DE razor but I have the Claymore Evolution, very similar to your RR Hawk V3, so take this thought with a pillar of salt.

You already have two of the very top razors listed on B&B. I know the Blackbird Ti is a bit more aggressive but how much?

If I were you, I think I'd seriously consider the Blackland Tradere... open or closed comb. It would something completely different. I'd do a search and read up on it here, of course. Some people whose opinions I value swear by it. They are in stock at the moment... I just checked.

Edit: I misread your first post... I thought you already had a Blackbird SS razor in addition to your Vector. My bad....It might make my whole post moot, but still... lots of people here with a lot of the top end razors have and absolutely love the Tradere.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For Yates you should go EH if you consider H, I rather get a weeper from the Lupo.

Smooth depends on the comb of the Blackbird and your preferred angle, I would rather recommend the SB for the Blackbird.

I find the Lupo OC damn smooth, more so than its own SB. Some others also agreed and wondered about that.

You probably read up about these razors, I have a massive beef with the stand of the Blackbird. Supposedly fixed now...

The handle for the Lupo is a Timeless Crown. From RazoRock I would pick one of their knurled handles, they are particularly grippy.

The Yates is looking at me like the fine dog left in the shelter. It's lacking a bit in the bling department and to be blunt, nothing can win against the Lupo right now except for the Timeless Slim OC maybe. That's for me. If you like shaving at a steep angle, the Yates loves that.

You should be honest to yourself that this is not about which razor your are buying, but about in which order you are buying them, right? 😎

To add some spice and torment to your decision excitement, I took this photo just for you. ✌️

20220726_222757.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think a Yates can look pretty dang cool.
Quite an understatement! 👍

With BYOR a Brass Yates is easier to get than ever before. Must have been the angle of the photo that the Yaqi sleep l spiral handle looked so thick? I have the SS spiral and afaik they are both rather normal 12mm thick.
I am looking for a SS or Ti handle for my Greencult, btw.

I was afraid of this: RAD level just increased a few notches. :)

@Phoenixkh Thanks for the reminder on the Tradere. I considered it previously but I think a Blackbird purchase would come before picking that up. Although if I got both, I would essentially have one of each Blackland model in production :)

@Hannah's Dad I was considering that point on the Lupo. Worst case I could sell it if it didn't work out. The Blackbird Ti is out of stock, so I could see picking it up to evaluate in the interim.

@Iridian That is pure enablement :) Love that image (and that Timeless handle) and thanks for sharing. I was really focused on the Blackbird machined Ti SB which is out of stock. It has me thinking that the Lupo OC might be the right choice, for now. I have a feeling I will still find my way to a Blackbird Ti though :)

@Big_T I was considering that. I know Shane has said that he wouldn't offer that guarantee unless it made sense for the company. But I sometimes worry about having to invoke it and create a hardship for Shane.

I have never used a Blackbird or a Yates. I recently received a Lupo .95 and was just blown away by it. It was incredibly comfortable, the handle is very solid without a hint of slipping, and the quality is outstanding. I was certain I would replace my Rockwell if I suddenly lost every razor, but now I am convinced it would be the Lupo. However, that is without any comparison to the other two razors you mentioned.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've been looking at a stainless Blackbird recently, but backed off because of the great razors I already have in my rotation...one of which is the RazoRock Lupo SS OC .95. Shaved with it this morning. For comfort and closeness, only my Wolfman WR1 and WR2 beat it. But considering what I paid for the Wolfman razors... they'd better beat it! Lupo is an excellent razor, especially when you consider that it's stainless and relatively inexpensive.

I have never used a Blackbird or a Yates. I recently received a Lupo .95 and was just blown away by it. It was incredibly comfortable, the handle is very solid without a hint of slipping, and the quality is outstanding. I was certain I would replace my Rockwell if I suddenly lost every razor, but now I am convinced it would be the Lupo. However, that is without any comparison to the other two razors you mentioned.
Just to clarify, is that the Lupo OC or SB version you are mentioning?

The Lupo .95 SB was my top razor in my collection of 6:
Lupo .95
Karve C, D, E Open Comb
Mule Rocca (Birch)
Fatip Lo Storto Original
Merkur Progress
Gillette Tech fat handle

Then… i bought a Blackbird SS SB.

wow.

heads-and-shoulders above any of my current collection with regard to comfort and closeness and efficiency. Just a solid, solid razor.

Loved it so much that I sourced a used ‘brassbird’ OC to compliment.

Then, with so much comparison of the Yates 921 to the Blackbird, I ordered a “build your own” in all-Brass SB version.

RAD? yes - pretty rampant right now. Ive got a pretty strict “one in, one out” policy - so I have to list a few on the BST, now. :-/

Short Answer: Get the ‘Bird! (what took you so long, you will ask yourself)

From the point of view of your royal belongings.
stainless steel blackbird seems to be just right over titanium, SB might be a good choice.

I won't say much about Blackbird because it's been talked about enough.

If you can get one from BST or elsewhere, I'd recommend RR's big brother, wunderbar.
Very efficient, smooth, and rarely a backstabbing bite, really rare 🤣.
It adds a lot of fun to the variations.

3239C63E-77D9-4D40-B9FD-E3B3E54AB11D.jpeg

Well it has begun. I ordered the Lupo 95 OC last night, and I am planning to acquire a Blackbird Ti SB as one becomes available. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and suggestions on these razor options. And special thanks to @Iridian for his inputs and also making me realize I now need to acquire one of those Timeless handles :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am contemplating a higher efficiency razor purchase. I currently have a Blackland Vector SS SB, Blackland Era (level 4 and 5 SB), Blackland Sabre (level 1), and Razorock Hawk V2 (SB) and V3 (SB and OC). The Blackland Vector with a Feather Pro blade currently offers the most effective BBS outcomes with highest shave comfort. But it still requires a 3 pass + touchup to get there with my coarse beard hair in the usual suspect regions. And I remain a bit challenged on deploying the Vector ATG in the mustache region.

One of the superpowers of the Vector is its low head weight, which I feel allows me to achieve the least or no neck irritation when delicately shaving ATG. So I have been considering a higher efficiency option in the DE realm with a goal of modest weight (excluding aluminum). After reviewing a number of threads I think the following might be candidates for a higher efficiency razor that remains relatively comfortable/smooth for a daily shaving routine.

Since this matrix is just myself operating on intuition and forum member thread snippets, I was hoping those that might have used or contemplated these razors could offer some perspective (or maybe additional razors that should be considered)

[Estimated Scoring]​

Blackbird Ti SBYates 921 H Ti SBLupo .95 OC (Ti handle)
Efficiency
++​
++
Smoothnessoo-
Aesthetics
++​
-+
Weight- -- ?+
Maneuverabilityooo
Cost+++
- -​

Why
Reputation for high efficiency with low aggression. Overall design aesthetics.
Performance and head design approaching Blackbird but at a reduced cost.Lower profile head, efficiency, aesthethics, and low cost (relative to Blackbird and Yates).
ConcernsHead design may feel bulky vs Vector and Lupo. Cost.Head design may feel bulky vs Vector and Lupo. I don't love the razor aesthethics.Lower efficiency and comfort vs Blackbird and Yates

Comparative scale for the listed razors:
++ much higher, + higher, o same or neutral, - less, - - much less
It's more cost effective to go ahead and buy the Ti Blackbird now. Otherwise, you'll end up buying two or three mid-priced razors and then eventually buy the Ti Blackbird anyway. ;)

It's more cost effective to go ahead and buy the Ti Blackbird now. Otherwise, you'll end up buying two or three mid-priced razors and then eventually buy the Ti Blackbird anyway. ;)

I've thought about this.
My progression, (along with probably many others), is to choke on prices of top-tier razors,
and buy several low-cost offerings... hunting for those "sleeper picks" (like the FOCS, Lupo, etc)
Then as we get more into this "hobby", circle back and start to explore some of those pricier models we initially scoffed at.

Sometimes, I think: Should have just bought a Wolfman right off the bat, and not mess with all of these other razors to try, and sometimes sell-off/discard. The money is about the same...

But... the experience of all of those low-cost razors, *does* hone your preferences, to help understand what really works for you. And when you do decide to chunk-down some real $$$ for that higher-priced razor; you probably can do so with confidence learned from experience.

PS - I still don't own a Wolfman. :-/
(But a Blackbird is pretty damn perfect for me, right now, at least. (I said this about the Lupo .95 SB a year ago...and the FOCS a year before that...)

Top Bottom