What's new

Next Brush? (Number 2)

As a newbie - to B&B as well as the hobby of shaving - I appreciate the wealth if information here. Thanks to all the veterans of the forum who have shared and helped each other along the way.

About eight weeks ago, I uncovered my grandfather's Gillette safety razor, and after a little research into DE razors, I decided to give it a try.

16825997327664566733835839605226.jpg

I picked up some Van Der Hagen blades at Walmart and felt there was more available. I now have some Astras, which provided an upgrade.

I elected to keep his shave brush - a 150 Ever-Ready - for nostalgia but needed to find a new brush to use. I ordered a Viking Revolution brush & soap set, which was a fine introduction. I enjoy the stimulation of the bristles and the lathering process. (For years, I had used various disposables/cartridges, wet with no cream. So, this has been a re-introduction to soap and lather.) I look at shaving now as an enjoyable process, rather than a boring necessity.

However, I knew all along the brush set was just an introduction. I am looking forward to exploring soap samples and finding what works for me, both on the practical side as well as what provides more personal enjoyment.

I also see that the brush, sold as a badger, is shedding just a bit. It is still usable, but the shedding reminds me that it is a functional, but lower-end brush and will need replacing one day.

16825998981946075156276354669204.jpg

Here is where I appreciate your insight. Without jumping to a "premium" brush (in my mind, $75-$100 and up), what are good suggestions for a good, solid "next" brush for me? Maybe in the $20 - $40/$50 range, if that is possible (or less, if they exist).

I don't want to scour my face, but I do like a little bit of "bite" from the brush for stimulation and exfoliation. This feature has lessened a bit in the VR brush since I started using it.

I probably lean toward the natural badger component, but I'm not opposed to synthetic, if it makes sense and meets my preferences (which, admittedly, I am still developing).

I figure if I start looking now, I can have a good, reliable choice when replacement time comes.

Thanks for your wisdom, and I look forward to contributing back one day.

- Frank

As a newbie - to B&B as well as the hobby of shaving - I appreciate the wealth if information here. Thanks to all the veterans of the forum who have shared and helped each other along the way.

About eight weeks ago, I uncovered my grandfather's Gillette safety razor, and after a little research into DE razors, I decided to give it a try.

View attachment 1645183

I picked up some Van Der Hagen blades at Walmart and felt there was more available. I now have some Astras, which provided an upgrade.

I elected to keep his shave brush - a 150 Ever-Ready - for nostalgia but needed to find a new brush to use. I ordered a Viking Revolution brush & soap set, which was a fine introduction. I enjoy the stimulation of the bristles and the lathering process. (For years, I had used various disposables/cartridges, wet with no cream. So, this has been a re-introduction to soap and lather.) I look at shaving now as an enjoyable process, rather than a boring necessity.

However, I knew all along the brush set was just an introduction. I am looking forward to exploring soap samples and finding what works for me, both on the practical side as well as what provides more personal enjoyment.

I also see that the brush, sold as a badger, is shedding just a bit. It is still usable, but the shedding reminds me that it is a functional, but lower-end brush and will need replacing one day.

View attachment 1645186

Here is where I appreciate your insight. Without jumping to a "premium" brush (in my mind, $75-$100 and up), what are good suggestions for a good, solid "next" brush for me? Maybe in the $20 - $40/$50 range, if that is possible (or less, if they exist).

I don't want to scour my face, but I do like a little bit of "bite" from the brush for stimulation and exfoliation. This feature has lessened a bit in the VR brush since I started using it.

I probably lean toward the natural badger component, but I'm not opposed to synthetic, if it makes sense and meets my preferences (which, admittedly, I am still developing).

I figure if I start looking now, I can have a good, reliable choice when replacement time comes.

- Frank
I'd highly recommend a Simpson shaving brush, a Duke 3 in particular.

Last edited:
In the price range you specify, Maggard 2-band badgers do a good job and have a bit of backbone.

I'd also suggest you try a boar brush from Semogue or Omega. My first boar was a Semogue 830 and my second was an Omega 10049. Both brushes, very different, are still in high rotation.

Boars will have a fair amount of "scrub", but avoid the "scritch" common to less expensive badgers. They star out nice and just get better as they break in, about 15-30 shaves. They do tend to eat lather before they break in, but it gets easier as they age. A well broken-in boar can be as soft as any badger.

Thanks, all, for your kind and generous responses. I'm grateful for your wisdom and advice.

Since my original post, I purchased an Omega 10049 to explore a boar brush. It is a good bit larger than the badger that came in my kit, and it seems to be a good, solid brush.

However, I had hoped it would provide a bit more "bite" or "scritch" than it does. I thought boar would have more backbone than badger. (I will give it credit for being softer than expected for those who prefer this feature.)

From some online research and reading, I wonder if the Omega Mixed Midget - or similar - would be a good fit for my preference -- shorter/smaller and "scritchier."

I'm also reminding myself that I'm only about three months into wet shaving, and these brushes aren't fully broken in yet. Thanks to all as you have any further insight into what might be a next step for me.

Cheers!
- Frank

Thanks for the gentle correction. Not sure what I'm looking for then, but I'll cease calling it "scritch."

Cheers!
- Frank
Ahh I'm not correcting you, I mean that Semogue is not scritchy, and from what I read, scritchness is not what majority wants from a shaving brush.

I understand 'scritchy' as pricky, scratchy, itchy, feeling individual hairs, that feeling of a dry boar paint brush on face, and it seems more like the property of hair tip rather than backbone. English is not my native language so maybe my interpretation is not precise.

View attachment 1645183

View attachment 1645186

- Frank

Think the Brush can be save as someone suggested, you have everything you need to shave let by grandfather. All that is need is Soap Puck, Big Coffer Mug/Shave Bowl, Soap, Blades.

Sure you grand dads razor will serve you well for many years. As you did not meeting cuts, nicks, or or loosing part of nose. You mush be doing OK on technique.

Different BLADES will give different results, so find your GRAIL BLADE now.

If you are wanting something with "bite", I would suggest a Simpson Special in Pure Badger. You can get one right now from a popular site that starts with an "A", ends with a "N", and in the middle is a "mazo" for $29.95.

Top Bottom