What's new

Next brush help

I don't post much, but here's my dilemma; simply, want some suggestions on my 2nd brush. I started pampering myself 1 or 2 a week with as close to a real shave as possible, but now I want to up my game kind of. Because of my disability I can't use a straight razor or a handle where I could put my own blade in ( well not without a blood bath )), so I use yes DSC. So I want to up my experience with new creams ( I can't physically whip soap ) and a next brush. My current brush just says West CCoast Shaving on it, and it's been rreally good to me except the stray hairs every so often, so all I do pretty much is face paint my creams on. I know you guys talk about the RR alot and AP Shave Co CCashmere. I'dlike to keep it under $25. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Don't discount horse hair brushes. Some folks don't like them but I have a fondness for them. There are some Vie-Long models that would definitely fit into your budget. I just got on Maggards and they have the 12705 that is well within your budget.

Good luck with your search.

I must have bought at least 25 brushes since I joined in 2009, mostly better badgers like Rooney, Simpson and Thater. I didn't care for boar or several synthetics I tried. I had a West Coast synth that was best used for cleaning my keyboard. While I still favor my $100+ badgers (out of guilt?), I must admit that if my lone 24mm RazoRock Plissoft synthetic brush had been my first brush, I'd have saved a lot of money. It's a face-painting brush that lathers any of my soaps, including tallow. It's a brush that could have been my one and only, but I mostly use it for discontinued soaps I'm trying to conserve.

I'm not sure about how your disability might affect holding a brush. I'm thinking a longer handle with a well-rounded synthetic knot might be a good idea. For that, I'd suggest the Phoenix Artisan Starcraft or Peregrino. They are similar, mainly a different appearance. Those are around $18-20.

Another good one would be an AP Shave Co. brush with the Silksmoke or Synbad knot in a 24mm size. They are on Etsy or you can order direct, I think. You can pick a handle and a knot, then they will put it together for you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I don't post much, but here's my dilemma; simply, want some suggestions on my 2nd brush. I started pampering myself 1 or 2 a week with as close to a real shave as possible, but now I want to up my game kind of. Because of my disability I can't use a straight razor or a handle where I could put my own blade in ( well not without a blood bath )), so I use yes DSC. So I want to up my experience with new creams ( I can't physically whip soap ) and a next brush. My current brush just says West CCoast Shaving on it, and it's been rreally good to me except the stray hairs every so often, so all I do pretty much is face paint my creams on. I know you guys talk about the RR alot and AP Shave Co CCashmere. I'dlike to keep it under $25. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
West coast shaving has some nice 24-26 mm synthetic tuxedo knots is what I would recommend. Black Friday sales coming up this Friday, you should be able to find a nice one for your price range. I think they carry Yaqi brushes also and they are great and they are mostly what I use for my shaving needs. The synthetic brushes are easy to clean and dry quickly and should give you years of nice shaving IMO. If you buy natural hair shave brushes l like to soak them for a few minutes at least before using them because it makes the hairs that much nicer and pliable as where synthetic brushes really only need is a rinse under warm water and ready to go usually.

I must have bought at least 25 brushes since I joined in 2009, mostly better badgers like Rooney, Simpson and Thater. I didn't care for boar or several synthetics I tried. I had a West Coast synth that was best used for cleaning my keyboard. While I still favor my $100+ badgers (out of guilt?), I must admit that if my lone 24mm RazoRock Plissoft synthetic brush had been my first brush, I'd have saved a lot of money. It's a face-painting brush that lathers any of my soaps, including tallow. It's a brush that could have been my one and only, but I mostly use it for discontinued soaps I'm trying to conserve.
Thanks, what's that one RR carries called Bruce all about. Is because it's just named after that man Bruce?

Thanks, what's that one RR carries called Bruce all about. Is because it's just named after that man Bruce?

Not sure. I have a discontinued 24mm Plissoft model with a heavy chrome handle which would not be good for you. The Bruce handle is similar to my Thater handles which I like. IB is great at responding to questions. Ask them if there's a difference in their 24mm knots.

I would buy the Maison du Barbier on Amazon for $20. Everyone else sell them for $40 and Okiestubble raves about them so they must be really good.

Given your price point, I suggest avoiding badger options.

There are plenty of boar and synthetic options. Pick something with an appealing handle, then go from there!

I only have the Bruce but can tell you the handle is very nice to hold it fills the hand and is very secure. I have arthritic hands and some times have trouble keeping a grip on things. I strongly recommend.
That is a really big help thank you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Big Bruce is a nice shave brush also and I have a few 26mm synthetics and I bought on sale and was surprised how nice they are for face feel and they are not lather hogs either. Bruce or Big Bruce are good choices and they will give you years of nice lathering.
The Bruce is on sale , you really don't need a stand for brushes either, all I do is squeeze water out and towel dry and stand them on end until next use for years until my brush collection grew to large so now I store them in mostly with guitar wall hanger clamps and those are adjustable also.
I have done studies on hanging brushes down and standing up on their bases and there is no advantage really and most synthetic brushes dry out in about 3 hrs standing as long as you get most of the moisture out when done using. Also do not store damp brushes in a medicine cabinet or enclose them, they like to dry out in the open air is a known fact.
Enjoy your new brush!

They named it that because this guy Bruce suggested using that handle shape, similar to Simpson Eagle brushes.

I have the Bruce and like it. It's a good brush and very reasonably priced. The knot is the same as the Razorock Plisoft brush. Just pick whichever handle you like more.

The only thing is, the Plissoft knots are very soft, so work best for softer soaps and creams. If you like hard soaps, I might suggest something else, like a Timberwolf or Tuxedo knot.

Big Bruce is a nice shave brush also and I have a few 26mm synthetics and I bought on sale and was surprised how nice they are for face feel and they are not lather hogs either. Bruce or Big Bruce are good choices and they will give you years of nice lathering.
The Bruce is on sale , you really don't need a stand for brushes either, all I do is squeeze water out and towel dry and stand them on end until next use for years until my brush collection grew to large so now I store them in mostly with guitar wall hanger clamps and those are adjustable also.
I have done studies on hanging brushes down and standing up on their bases and there is no advantage really and most synthetic brushes dry out in about 3 hrs standing as long as you get most of the moisture out when done using. Also do not store damp brushes in a medicine cabinet or enclose them, they like to dry out in the open air is a known fact.
Enjoy your new brush!
Thanks

Top Bottom