What's new

Next batch of Soap PIF

This is really great performing soap folks. Slice was kind enough to send me some of the last batch he made with different fragrance or I would jump in again. If he sells some again I will likely buy some. Better jump in while you can.

I am very excited on this. I really like personally crafted things. Years ago when I smoked I had a gentleman make me an applewood pipe. It was a prized possession.

My soap was in the mailbox yesterday evening. Perfect timing as I just finished a puck. I get the scent, but it's quite a bit better than fabric softener. I'm really looking forward to trying this out when my grandson goes home. Thanks!

So, tried this out this morning, 2 day growth, PAA Ascension with a Gillette Platinum Plus blade on use #3 using an Oumo gelled brush. It lathers like a champ, but it's a thirsty soap. Added plenty of water to finally get to the consistency I like. Scent had a bit of chocolate, or something like that, in addition to the light floral. No irritation or nicks, just a very close shave. Kudos on this soap, an outstanding home brew.

658671AA-C59B-43F8-AB30-9BF5A0A4ADEC.jpeg

I received the soap a few days ago, but had to scrounge up a bowl to put it in.

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Plain Vanilla
Scuttle: none
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Hayashi Diamond SR
Blade: none
Brush: Knothead Boar
Soap: Homemade soap (not mine)

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Avon Deep Woods AS

The Process-
Today was a nice late morning shave ... that’s what I’m talking about. On deck was a homemade soap that I received in a PIF from @SliceOfLife. It had a soft scent and I cannot describe it at all, but it was nice. Luckily I had a wooden bowl to put it in.

For me, a soap has to work well with an SR. I did bloom the soap while my brush was soaking in warm water. Stropped the razor with 10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. The lather was nice, and bilt up quickly. It was not as heavy feeling as some super fatted soaps. To me, the lather was light but dense and was very similar to The Fat (and that’s a good thing). It has very good slickness and residual slickness too. After a pass with the razor, that slickness was still there. The scent was light on the puck and I lost it during the shave. That’s not a problem and allows for unlimited AS options. I ran this lather a bit wet and it didn’t slow this soap down or give any hint of breaking down. That was an outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! The soap also rinses clean with little effort.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! I haven’t used Deep Woods in a while, so that was a nice change up. The post shave feel was very nice as well. I would buy this soap, I liked it that much.

I have started gathering the equipment to make my own shaving soap. I would like to make both bath soaps and shaving soaps for personal use and for gifts. I hope as I start researching formulas, I can find something similar to this soap. It’s that good. Outstanding work @SliceOfLife and thank you again for the PIF!

So second use yesterday. Some observations: I am used to artisan soaps being more of a croap. This is a real soap (not triple milled, but not like a Stirling or Razorock soft soap). The scent is mild, soapy, and clean. It lathers exceedingly well. I can't say it's the slickest soap I've ever tried, but (for me) slicker than modern Williams. It reminds me quite a bit of the CBL Tonsorial line. A very good addition to my rotation. Thanks for this opportunity.

Top Bottom