What's new

Newton Pens review by February Winner

Although I don't usually visit this section of the forum, a recent event in my life sparked an interest in fountain pens. I saw a post in early February on the Hobbyist forum about a pen company called Newton Pens. They were raffling off a pen and I decided to enter. About a month later I won their February raffle. The raffle was for a size large pen with a blue and off-white/cream swirl. The owner, Shawn Newton, contacted me to see what type of nib I wanted in my new fountain pen so I decided on a two tone fine nib.

I finally got some ink to put in the pen and started writing with it. I even wrote a little letter but I'll type it out because my penmanship isn't the greatest. It reads:

"Hi my name is Anthony and I was lucky enough to win the Newton Pens February Raffle in which I won this gorgeous pen. I just wanted to give my brief review of the pen. As a background this is my first fountain pen. I have only used it to write brief messages so far but it is definitely something special. Shawn's craftsmanship is superb. The pen feels so solid its almost as if it is all one piece. There are no visible seams on the pen. In fact it actually took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to unscrew the barrel because I couldn't find where it was supposed to separate. The pen writes very smooth and hasn't skipped on me yet. I just wanted to say thanks to Shawn and commend him for his talent."

Just as a side note I put down the pen towards writing the end of the letter and thought I got something stuck in the nib so I ran it under water. While doing this I didn't realize that I was getting water in the ink and when I went back to write the ink was watery which is why it is blurry. This was not the pens fault but my own. I realized that I messed up and quickly flushed the pen of ink and refilled it with fresh ink before the last sentence. This fixed it and the pen wrote flawless once again.

My photos don't do the pen justice with the lighting in my house, and you really have to feel it in person to understand the quality. It is by far the nicest pen which I've ever personally held. Anyway, I just wanted to give my own little review of the pen. I am using Parker Super Quink Blue-Black in a fine nib if anyone is interested.

BTW Shawn was great to work with as we exchanged emails several times. He even sent me a personalized hand written note with the pen(last picture). He along with B&B have opened my eyes to yet another hobby, and I already find myself reaching for the pen when I have to write something and looking at fountain pens on the nib quite often. First it was straight razors, now its fountain pens, whats gonna be next.

$IMG_1366.jpg$IMG_1367.jpg$IMG_1370.jpg$IMG_1371.jpg

Congratulations on your first pen. What a beauty it is!

I assume that the pen in made from Ebonite (hard rubber)? That's a great material for fountain pens...very traditional, and also wonderful to write with. It's got quite a different feel from the usual plastics, acrylics, and metals that most pens are made from. It's a warm, organic material...not cold and harsh.

Shawn is a good guy and obviously a very skilled craftsman. His work with school children is worthy of our support.

Nice! Enjoy that beauty. Shawn comes across on B&B and FPN as a really good guy. A really good guy who has become quite adept at turning pens.

Wow! Nice pen, and the raffle went to a good cause. It looks huge! Enjoy it.

-Andy

Thanks. The pen is of the large size that Shawn offers. It is big but extremely comfortable to hold because it has a taper towards the top and bottom that let's it sit in the hand very nicely. I think it is more of a desk pen but I wouldn't have any trouble carry it if I had to.

Congrats on the win!! How much flex does the nib have?

As Shawn mentioned there is no flex to the nib.

Congratulations on your first pen. What a beauty it is!

I assume that the pen in made from Ebonite (hard rubber)? That's a great material for fountain pens...very traditional, and also wonderful to write with. It's got quite a different feel from the usual plastics, acrylics, and metals that most pens are made from. It's a warm, organic material...not cold and harsh.

Shawn is a good guy and obviously a very skilled craftsman. His work with school children is worthy of our support.

Yes the pen is made of Ebonite. Now that you mention it is warm to the touch, even after leaving it being outside from delivery. It was outside in the cold before I took it inside but as soon as I grabbed it was around room temperature. Also Shawn's work with school children is what made me enter in the first place as I am currently in school and it seemed like a worthy cause.

Nice! Enjoy that beauty. Shawn comes across on B&B and FPN as a really good guy. A really good guy who has become quite adept at turning pens.

Thanks. Shawn is very easy to work with and his craftsmanship is amazing. You can tell he really cares about his customer. i mean how many owners send a handwritten letter to their customers these days. It was a very thoughtful touch.

I'm so so so glad you like it. :)

For the nib: it's a Jowo #6, fine (as he mentioned), stainless steel, and no flex.

Thanks again. It is beautiful.

Welcome to the nib Anthony. That pen looks like a great way to start

They are nice nibs and should serve you well for a lifetime, glad you are enjoying it

Top Bottom