What's new

Newspaper as a Strop?

Hi I am just getting into Straight razors now learning to strop the blade Someone told me you can use Newspaper wrapped tight round a heavy book will do the same to your razor blade as a leather strop would do in keeping it sharp untill you get good at it and ready to buy a good leather strop. is this true or is someone winding me up?

I've heard the same thing, but I've never tried. In a pinch if I need something stropped I will use either a smooth leather belt, or denim.

Hi I am just getting into Straight razors now learning to strop the blade Someone told me you can use Newspaper wrapped tight round a heavy book will do the same to your razor blade as a leather strop would do in keeping it sharp untill you get good at it and ready to buy a good leather strop. is this true or is someone winding me up?
Google newspaper strop Youtube

Yes, it works fine. The ink is a mild abrasive. The YouTube video that I saw used a single sheet of newspaper carefully folded into a 2-3 inch wide pleat and wrapped around a towel rack. Others in other threads have mentioned using it as an expedient when traveling (when a strop or paddle was not available).

Using a book might be more difficult unless you were pure of heart and could get it to lay flat without any loose areas.

I always had thoughts if the ink would rub off on the blade..I couldnt prove it..but I had theory's of it...I would prefer jean stropping over newspaper :thumbup:

Newspaper works for stropping, but I prefer a real strop because I think it is more effective.

Here ya go! It will work for a while but I think you'll be looking to get a real strop soon. I used an old belt at first. Now it's my pasted strop.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used it in the past, it works. It won't give you a smooth edge like leather but it works if you don't have a strop.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just take a full sheet of newspaper and fold it lengthwise until it is 2-1/2" to 3" wide. Loop one end over your towel rack. Pinch both ends together with the thumb and forefinger knuckle of your left hand. Pick up your razor in your right hand. Pull the strop tight and strop strop strop. Works okay. Better than no strop at all. I don't think the ink is much of an issue, unless you do this daily for your entire life or something like that.

This is definitely true. All strops basically do the same thing, which is why inexpensive ones are recommended for beginners (among other reasons). Most of strop differences are due to level of craftsmanship and personal preference, which truthfully doesn't effect the final result that much, just the journey, which is why most of us are here anyway.

Getting back to the point, newspaper will suffice until you can get a proper strop. It also works great for those short holidays

Here ya go! It will work for a while but I think you'll be looking to get a real strop soon. I used an old belt at first. Now it's my pasted strop.

The dashing fella in the posh robe is spot on!
Sure you can use it, pretty common solution back in the days too.

Top Bottom