What's new

"News of my demise has been greatly exaggerated"- Vintage Gillette Press Conference

Been reading this forum for 2 months now, and, though I've just begun actually using DE's this month, I feel compelled to respond to a couple recent posts on the limited supply of vintage Gillette's and possible end to DE blade production.

First the Gillette's. Yes there is a limited supply much the same as vintage cars or guitars or really just anything vintage. As time goes on more of these will be lost to time and the supply will dwindle. However, and more importantly, we'll pass the skills need to get quality and enjoyable shaves. Like guitars and cars, new DE's are still being produced with modern techniques (and some may actually be better than their now vintage predecessors but who cares if you enjoy what you've got).

That little bit of distant reality (likely many many years from now) aside I picked up 3 Gillette's this weekend at a Brass Armadillo for $5. A gold plated ball-end, a super adjustable, and a super speed flare tip. Yes $5. They were in a sandwich bag behind a bunch of other metal household items on a shelf. They're out there hiding on shelves at flea markets, antique shoppes, and estate sales for a lot cheaper than ebay. So go get 'em! Now you have some motivation when dragged out antiquing. Part of the fun is the hunt anyway.

As for DE blades? Never fear! As long as customer's are willing to purchase these little stamped metal bits factories will turn them out. The technology curve is fairly maxed out, the equipment isn't that complicated (so pretty easy to maintain), and the raw material is recyclable. Think soda cans. Yeah the margin is pretty tight, but the volumes are huge and get bigger per producer if some makers leave the market (God forbid). It's a license to print money!

So relax. Wake up tomorrow and shave just how you like to. Then smile when you look at the final product and know you can enjoy shaving your way for a good long time. :biggrin1:
ps. And when it's Junior's turn, get him his own DE or hand him down your's and get a new one. It's what our forefathers would've done.

Last edited:
Or, the shavepocalypse may be just around the corner, and only those who have hoarded mass quantities of all goods will survive. :eek2:

Or, the shavepocalypse may be just around the corner, and only those who have hoarded mass quantities of all goods will survive. :eek2:

I just bought another green catalin handled brush. That makes about 8. I will survive the shavepocalypse - with style. :thumbup1:

-jim

Top Bottom