What's new

News: Coming Soon New Mühle head!

Here's the Fatip below. Someone, please correct me but I think this model used to be called either R89 or R99, not sure. Yes, very confusing.

Yup - the Fatip used to be sold as the R89. If you go into the review section for that razor the opinions become very confusing around mid-2009.

I just put the new 41 OC through its paces and have to characterize it as the most aggressive DE razor I have ever used, other than some adjustables at their highest setting. I am not a particular fan of OCs but do have a representative arsenal and have no problem getting close and comfortable shaves with most of them -- but this really is the extreme case.

It's been over 50 years since I took my first DE shave. I've tried a fair number of such razors during that time and long since acquired the ability to move between them with more or less automatic recalibration of shaving angle, etc. My beard is tough enough to require a razor of some aggressiveness but my skin gripes if I take that beyond what is really necessary. I use Feather blades exclusively and am prepared to accept that I'd need to find something else for this razor. It'll probably be a while, though, before I'm likely to start the hunt.

I've ordered one, apparently drop-shipped from Germany. By the sounds of it, one of you will get a shot at it via the BST shortly thereafter.

I just put the new 41 OC through its paces and have to characterize it as the most aggressive DE razor I have ever used, other than some adjustables at their highest setting. I am not a particular fan of OCs but do have a representative arsenal and have no problem getting close and comfortable shaves with most of them -- but this really is the extreme case.

It's been over 50 years since I took my first DE shave. I've tried a fair number of such razors during that time and long since acquired the ability to move between them with more or less automatic recalibration of shaving angle, etc. My beard is tough enough to require a razor of some aggressiveness but my skin gripes if I take that beyond what is really necessary. I use Feather blades exclusively and am prepared to accept that I'd need to find something else for this razor. It'll probably be a while, though, before I'm likely to start the hunt.

Thanks for that early review. For comparison purposes, I take it you have experience with a long-comb or short-comb NEW? Do you have any razors with a Fatip head? If the new 41 is the most aggressive DE you have every used, what came in second? And what is your daily shaver?

Mine has arrived as well, sadly i can't shave with it as i have zero stubble, rest assured i will be shaving with it asap.

I also got a cutsey little badger brush key ring. :thumbup1:

Weight comes in at 63g btw.

Last edited:
That seems pretty light, but honestly it shouldn't matter if the razor is as aggressive as it seems to be. Looking forward to your impressions Huxley.

That seems pretty light, but honestly it shouldn't matter if the razor is as aggressive as it seems to be. Looking forward to your impressions Huxley.

You can always put a heavier handle on it. I found that the EJ handle balances the R89 closed comb head much better than the Mühle handle.

Huxley - does the razor feel balanced or head heavy?

Just had a play with it for a while, and i would say it's handle heavy feels quite nice actually.

Weight are

Head 25.5g
Handle 37.5g

Thanks for that early review. For comparison purposes, I take it you have experience with a long-comb or short-comb NEW? Do you have any razors with a Fatip head? If the new 41 is the most aggressive DE you have every used, what came in second? And what is your daily shaver?
1. Yes to both the long and short. 2. No on the Fatip. 3. Probably the Merkur 1909 OC followed by the short-comb NEW. 4. Currently the Pils and a closed bar iKon. The Mühle R89 head is also just fine. My favorite adjustable is the Vision.

Head 25.5g
Handle 37.5g

According to this thread, the knurled Mühle handle weighs about 24g, and the EJ DE89L handle weighs 44g. The safety bar Mühle/EJ head weighs ~30g.

EDIT: I'm a little confused by these numbers; I thought the handles were the same?

Last edited:
UPS at the door this morning!

Attachments

• $P1030845.jpg
    $P1030845.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 376
  • $P1030847.jpg
    $P1030847.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 375
  • $P1030849.jpg
    $P1030849.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 379
Here they are, in chrome, black and white.

As Vlad said righteously here: "We are nuts. Certifiable."

Attachments

• $P1030854.jpg
    $P1030854.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 377
  • $P1030855.jpg
    $P1030855.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 375
  • $P1030857.jpg
    $P1030857.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 375
Argh... posted the wrong pic above but do not know how to correct that mistake.
Here is the white tooth comb, in its full glory and also head to head with the regular white R107.

Attachments

• $P1030856.jpg
    $P1030856.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 378
  • $P1030858.jpg
    $P1030858.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 381
Top Bottom