What's new

News: Coming Soon New Mühle head!

Well i've posted it across the street, but i have one of these on the way.

Should be arriving here sometime next week with any luck.

I went berserk and bought all the available versions :001_wub:
The R41, in chrome, and its cousins in black and white (R107 and R101).
Now I have to find an old R41 / R89 to complete my Muhle collection - so far so good for the purchase sabbatical.

I hope it shaves as good as it looks.

Mine left Berlin this Saturday, they could be here in a couple of days!

Attachments

• $R41TootcComb.jpg
    $R41TootcComb.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 212
Don't say that, touch wood royal mail has been fine so far.

Wimbouman, mine is in the uk already, race ya :biggrin1:

Shipment number: RL574

The item was scanned in the country of destination Great Britain. This will be the last available item status, if the destination country does not offer track & trace services all the way down to the recipient.

mine is also on it's way, but will be delayed with the Canada Post Strike.

@Huxley - Nothing beats a good race :001_tongu

Mine has left Berlin, UPS says.
576 kilometers to go...

Hope my precious are here soon!

proxy.php

Might get to you first then. Though mine is at the international hub here, which iirc is around 300mi/450km away.

I'll be stunned if it arrives tomorrow, probably tuesday or wdnesday for me, and there's the question will anyone be in.

Either way it's pretty quick for the cheap option.

When will the BST have it? :smile:
Hopefully real soon!

What might be the differences in shaving between the new and the old head ? I got this area on my neck which notoriously get irritated (unless I use OC razors)

I love my merkur 11c and I was considering buying R41, but right now I don't know should I pick the old of the new one ... help!
Well, the current model is pretty mild, hopefully this update will return us to a more aggressive head as seen on the first generation R41.

I'll be picking one up to add to my collection of Muhle R41 and Joris razors, as long as it is aggressive enough. I'm hoping for aggressiveness similar to the old R41, which as it works out is not quite as aggressive as the Joris.

There are three generations of the R41:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Razor-New-Head-Design-Available-June-16-2011

Gen 1 was available with two different handles:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/205758-Muhle-R41

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mike

Thank you!!
It helps a LOT:)

One more- are all 3 "styles" of the R41 still available or do they start a new design and just drop production of the last "style"?
It would be (IMO) a better business move to keep all 3 designs and have a different model designation of the newest style (ie, different model number), I would like to have the option of which style to use and having all 3 on hand to compare would have been great!!

Last edited:
I propose we call each generation the following, so we don't confuse them:

R41-Fatip : the 1st generation, made by Fatip
R41-Merkur-2008 : 2nd generation, head made by Merkur, handle by Mühle and introduced in 2008 (if I got the year wrong, let's fix it)
R41-2011 : the 3rd (and current) generation, just released

As for the current production closed bar, I refer to it as R89-2009

I propose we call each generation the following, so we don't confuse them:

R41-Merkur-2008 : 2nd generation, head made by Merkur, handle by Mühle and introduced in 2008 (if I got the year wrong, let's fix it)

As for the current production closed bar, I refer to it as R89-2009

Cool-

The 3rd gen has a semi open comb (looking at the pics)
Are there any R41's with an open comb?
I have a R89, closed comb, how do the R41's compare?
I "thought" the R41 and R89 were the same, except different handle. they sure make it confusing...

R41-Fatip and R41-Merkur-2008 are fully open combs.

Here's the Fatip below. Someone, please correct me but I think this model used to be called either R89 or R99, not sure. Yes, very confusing.

attachment.php

R41-Merkur-2008 below. It looks like a Gillette Old Type.

proxy.php

Do you know which is most - least aggressive?
Nice pics!!
Do you have all of those razors?

Thanks a LOT for your help..., the more I learn, the more confusing the Muhle model numbers/styles/features are..., Argh!!! why do they do this, I have a hard time thinking the way it is, LOL!

The Fatip is fairly aggressive, the blade is exposed quite a bit which I guess can make the blade "wiggle" or "vibrate" and give you some weepers if not careful.

I only have an R41-Merkur-2008 head now on an EJ DE89L handle, but I had the Fatip for a brief period of time. This thread may have a bit more info: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/171964-Mühle-open-comb-old-style-made-by-Fatip

I do not have the current just released version but I'm interested in trying the head. Not that wild about the current Mühle handles, they are fairly light and hollow, I don't think they balanced the current R89 or the new R41 heads very well (again, I've never tried the current R41 head but it looks solid and heavier than the previous model).

I recently obtained an old-style R89 with a Fatip head from a B&B member. I've tried it with both the handle it came with (hollow, open on the end, so when I lifted it to my face water would drip out the end -- mildly annoying) and a BM handle from cooncatbob. The razor's guard teeth line up perfectly with guard teeth on Gillette long-comb NEW OC heads from the 1930s. The Gillette, of course, uses a tongue-and-groove connection between the cap and the guard, while the R89 uses bullet pins. I really like this R89 razor, especially with a heavier handle.

I have the R41 that is now being replaced by this newer model, and I find it to be the mildest OC razor I've ever used.

I'm quite taken by this new design change. I asked Phil and Bullgoose if I could save one for me. He said that he would.

Top Bottom