What's new

News broadcasts

When I read or hear something, does it pass the smell test? Like a "news" report about some NASA article that debunks climate change. Yeah, that doesn't sound quite right, I'm pretty sure someone's science reporter is either a ******* or a liar. Are the claims verified by other sources? Do they provide sources? When a news publisher screws up, do they correct or retract it?

Unfortunately news is revenue driven. What your readers/viewers/listeners want is what you provide. Folks with leftist views gravitate to sources that confirm their views, likewise the right does the same. To increase your revenue you provide material that pushes farther left or right, hopefully gaining new customers. I try to get a bit of FOX and a bit of NPR and a bit of NBC/CBS/ABC everyday, and the truth lies somewhere between. It continues to amaze me how the same event is totally different depending on the source.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Unfortunately news is revenue driven. What your readers/viewers/listeners want is what you provide. Folks with leftist views gravitate to sources that confirm their views, likewise the right does the same. To increase your revenue you provide material that pushes farther left or right, hopefully gaining new customers. I try to get a bit of FOX and a bit of NPR and a bit of NBC/CBS/ABC everyday, and the truth lies somewhere between. It continues to amaze me how the same event is totally different depending on the source.
Especially if you were there yourself and saw the event.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I took a degree in journalism nearly fifty years ago. The "profession" today is unrecognizable. The best I can manage these days is to listen to NPR, read Drudge, skim the NYT, and watch Bret Baier and Tucker Carlson.
Tucker Carlson makes Bill O’Reilly appear sane and objective.

FarmerTan

Was Thomas Paine a journalist? Ben Franklin? I think Johnny Carson was a better "journalist" than any people being paid on TV today.

FarmerTan

So does an angry badger. Is that a journalist's job?
YES! As long as they are an equal opportunity pain in the tush, and that is their style. Part of what I LOVE about "news?" today is they HAVE a tendency to tick me off. I have to be in the mood for NPR. They are all so sickeningly polite and well spoken. Oy. Quit jabber jawing and loving the sound of your own voice and ASK THE FRIGGIN QUESTION!!!

That feels better.

FarmerTan

Giving bull**** and facts equal weight isn't great reporting.
Amen. Half of the news - scratch that - more than half the news, on the stuff I watch or listen to, anyway, is opinion.

Both local and national broadcasting.

Was Thomas Paine a journalist? Ben Franklin? I think Johnny Carson was a better "journalist" than any people being paid on TV today.

Thomas Paine was an pamphleteer. Call him an essayist if you like. Franklin was more of a general writer, but calling Franklin a writer is like calling Leonardo da Vinci an artist's model because he held that job once.

Top Bottom