What's new

Newfound interest in SEs

When I gave up cartridges, I ordered a Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf and learned on that. It gave some of the best/closest shaves I've ever had. It could be alittle harsh some weeks. On those weeks i would have a bit of burn by friday. I must shave daily for work. I started my journy of DEs and the various blades to use in them and ended up with my trusty Merkur Progress.

I have in my collection, many SEs that I have not tried. I have a couple of Gem Micromatics, 1912s and an Everready 1924 and many Schick injectors.

Recently I found a very nice condition EverReady 1914 in the chrome case with blade holder. I have since shaved twice with it and I am giving it a whole month to make a judgment call on it. The shaves so far are fantastic with no blood or burn. I am now regretting not trying my pristine Gem 1912 a year ago when I found it.

I am working out of town at the moment so I cannot try the Gem 1912. How does the Ever Ready 1914 compare shave wise in your opinions to the Gem counterpart?

I must say the the quality of these raqzors are top notch.

I enjoy the SE's too...I found I liked the GEM OCMM the most....Can really speak on the ER1914, I hear its close to the 1912 though.........

I did also like my GEM 1912 too.....They are all great little razors though.

I always wanted to try one of those clog pruf designed razors.......

Hurry home and use them!!! :)

For me the 1914 ER shave is identical to the 1912 Damaskeene, my favorite razor, but the '14 is just a tad more difficult to load and unload. The early models with the round knurled handle have very small blade stops and sometimes when the top plate is closed it can cause the blade to ride up on the stops. The later models with the smooth hexagon handle have much better blade stops that the blade actually slides under. The 1912 design is just an easier system to open and close than the 1914 and 1924 ER's.

You've got some excellent SE's it sounds like.

Top Bottom