What's new

"Newer" Scents Vs. "Older" Scents

So I have just recently started my DE shaving and have been reading more and more and posting on here and reading discussions. As I have been reading I am starting to wonder about AS scents and have since smelled several at stores and I am starting to come to the conclusion that I just don't care for some of the "newer" scents that I think are geared toward younger guys like me. My only AS at the moment (and probably will be for a bit) is Clubman Special Reserve which is fantastic. At local stores I have only found a few others like Boss (I think) and Aqua Velva which I don't care for. I've never really liked people my own age, I find them annoying and immature (hear the word "bro" being thrown around alot). I think I am just older inside. Has anyone noticed a trend with some older, more established (or even no longer here) AS with the smells changing for the worse to cater to my wuss generation? Now adays guys just aren't... manly anymore. Chivalry is even a dying art, guys that still use it are looked upon something odd and to be laughed at. The scents are still masculine but seem to be more geared towards boys, not men. Anyone else with more experience able to weigh in?

Tough argument. I think it boils down the the "Man makes the fragrance, fragrance doesn't make the man." I'm all over the place in terms of what I wear. AS: Clubman, OS, Floid, Alt Innsbruck, Osage. Then on the cologne side its: Bleu De Chanel, D&G Light Blue, JPG, Cartier Orange, etc.

My mood/circumstance dictates my frag. If I am at work in a suit I might wear John Varvatos Original or maybe just leave my AS to mellow throughout the day. If I have a date or a night out I'll wear Bleu de Chanel.

I'll agree that yes, men aren't what we perceive them to be anymore. However, the frag is what you make of it...not what it makes you.

I'm still a door holding, please/thank you saying, offshore fisherman, who brews his own beer, but can rock a pair fitted button down with 7 jeans and Cole Haan's like no other. :001_smile

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed the classic scents more than newer ones. For instance, Old Spice, Brut, Clubman, and Aqua Velva are fragrances that I've enjoyed since I was a teenager (more than twenty years ago). Everybody should use what they like.

You guys LOVE the Axe dig LOL.

I can assure you, I'm 30 and can't recall the last time I saw someone dousing themselves in Axe spray. It's a lot designer scents. Ironically, the some of the stuff that gets mentioned in this sub-forum (YSL, DG, etc.)

Wear what you want. Just don't be surprised when a girl tells you that you smell like her grandpa. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but she may find it strange.

You guys LOVE the Axe dig LOL.

I can assure you, I'm 30 and can't recall the last time I saw someone dousing themselves in Axe spray. It's a lot designer scents. Ironically, the some of the stuff that gets mentioned in this sub-forum (YSL, DG, etc.)

It happens. Those young guys I referenced in the OP are at my gym. They still use Axe when they are done and out of the shower. I wish they would all go somewhere else.

Yeah, I can't stand the gym sometimes because of all the Axe flying around the lockerroom. It's not a dig, it's the reality of what I see and smell. I can only go by who I work with and what I see happening in public. I'm sure there are some that don't, or maybe they do it at home if they're going out for the night.

Opinions on things like scents (AS, cologne, soaps, etc.) are very individual and can be polarized. I wouldn't dare to say modern vs. vintage/older scents are better or worse, just different. I'm a 50-something and I tend to still like some of the classics like Old Spice, Clubman, Aqua Velva, bay rum. I even like some scents that were around even before I had peach fuzz which was decades ago! Honestly, I haven't even tried the modern stuff on the market so I won't weigh in but look forward to watching the discussion here.

For the past few years at Christmas, my wife has purchased those multi-sampler cologne sets for me, so each of my five kids can each give me a scent. While none of those "newer" scents have replaced my old go-to scents, I have been able to find some new stuff that I love that I wouldn't have purchased on my own. (When I say "new", I mean "new to me". The scents may be very old, for all I know.)

It happens. Those young guys I referenced in the OP are at my gym. They still use Axe when they are done and out of the shower. I wish they would all go somewhere else.

Yeah, I can't stand the gym sometimes because of all the Axe flying around the lockerroom. It's not a dig, it's the reality of what I see and smell. I can only go by who I work with and what I see happening in public. I'm sure there are some that don't, or maybe they do it at home if they're going out for the night.

My gym is a severely "metrosexual" gym. Lots of the guys you'd see at the Jersey Shore, spiky hair, tribal tattoos, etc. You can form a mental picture. I've never come across anyone spraying Axe. Maybe its a Mid-West/West Coast thing?

Ironically, like I said; it's YSL, DG, Chanel for men, Burberry, etc.

I've never come across anyone spraying Axe. Maybe its a Mid-West/West Coast thing?

Ironically, like I said; it's YSL, DG, Chanel for men, Burberry, etc.

I wonder if it's a class distinction. People who frequently wander Wal-Mart would probably be found wearing tons of Axe. If they were to buy cologne at all, it's likely some $30 or less variety, not something that costs $80+ per bottle.

Visit any high school, the overuse of Axe runs rampant.

I wonder if it's a class distinction. People who frequently wander Wal-Mart would probably be found wearing tons of Axe. If they were to buy cologne at all, it's likely some $30 or less variety, not something that costs $80+ per bottle.

Visit any high school, the overuse of Axe runs rampant.

It has to be this area. I'm in the NJ/NYC area. People here are very cognizant towards trends/popular style. High school kids here (my one nephew) and even grammar school (my other nephew) would rather where designer than Axe. Kind of a crazy thing when you think about it.

Goes along with the whole 10 year olds having cell phones.

It has to be this area. I'm in the NJ/NYC area. People here are very cognizant towards trends/popular style. High school kids here (my one nephew) and even grammar school (my other nephew) would rather where designer than Axe.

I've seen my 16 year old nephew bathe himself in Axe in lineu of taking frequent showers. In his eyes liberal usage of Axe makes it okay to only take a shower once a week. He is not in any way unique among his peers.

If his mother didn't remind him, he probably would take a shower even less frequently.

Top Bottom