What's new

Newcomer from Bulgaria diving in DE shaving

Hello, Gentlemen,

Decided to become part of the community. I started DE shaving 2 months ago, and this is the best decision in my life. The whole ritual, the post shave feel, my skin looks better, just amazing.
I still can't make very good shaves though, but I realize it's too early and I need to practice the technique. I started with Merkur 34C, green Proraso cream, also use the Proraso pre-shave, and now I got a pack to test 10 different blades.
I shave every other day. And yesterday I used feather blade. I can definitely say that my technique is good enough to keep myself alive and not slit my throat :) No big cuts up until now only small nicks from time to time.
But I am very, very far from BBS. I stuggle a lot with my chin and jawline. Have a very weird small spot on my chin, where my beard grow in a super strange direction. Visually it looks good but I feel it's not with my hand. I try to do standart 3 pass shave and and always a finishing touch.
I am sure my technique will become better with time, and I will continue test the different blades. Also looking on the web to get a soap, and thinking for adjustable razor, maybe Rockwell.

Evis

Welcome aboard. Evis! Great choice to start with the 34C and a sample pack of blades.

I would suggest staying with one razor for a bit, and just working on your technique with it. Unless you don't like the razor, that is. Once you're really comfortable, that's when I would look to add another razor to the mix if you would like.

Welcome buddy, I'm pretty new to the whole DE thing too if I had one piece of advice for you it would be to find a setup you like and avoid changing for a while at least. I say that so you can build your technique and then when you try other razors/blades/soaps you can see how they compare.

Glad its working for you, enjoy your stay here.

Welcome. Don't worry, your skills will get better with practice.

sun-rays.jpg

Welcome aboard!

You have some great kit! I suggest you stick with your 34C while you work through your blade choices. As your technique improves, you may find that you are just fine! If not, then try others. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Welcome!

I am fairly new to DE shaving. Not changing my set up was really helpful (as noted by others). Once I did start to change things up (like blades), I found a shave journal a great tool.

Thank you for the friendly welcome :)
This is going to be then, I will continue with the same set up, and will test different blades.
Starting a journal sound like a great idea, I will probably do it.

@ClemsonTigerz
I am not really a wine guy, but its true, people here know how to make it good. I have a friend fo mine that is making it and in the municipality anual contest he is crushing it, always 1st or 2nd place :)

Now let me update you on my shaving progression. I listened to the advices and continued using the same setup - Merkur 34C, Proraso pre shave and green shaving cream, aftershave lotion made in my country with natural products; 3 full passes with a half pass as a finishing touch here and there.
At this point I am almost 3 months into DE shaving and my shaves are not evolving. I was kind of a frustrated to be honest. I read a lot here in the forum about great shaves, BBS, 1-2 passed and done etc - well all that wasn't possible for me. I started to think that I am the worst DE shaver!
But this is what was a game changer for me. At first when I bought the merkur I wasn't paying attention, but after some time I noticed my shaves are different every time. So I started looking more carefully at the blade when I am inserting it into the razor and I noticed the blade is twisting when I tighten the handle. So i started aligning it everytime, and it was a tedious proccess, sometimes i was playing with it for 1-2 minutes to make it correct.
So i decided to get a new razor. There is a local shop selling the Merkur Progress, I went there so see it and bought it immediately.
OMG I was reborn. I made only 4 shaves up until now, its huge difference compared to 34C:
- I managed to do a BBS (though my skin was burning for half of the day after);
- I now make only 1 full pass and my second is like a finishing pass;
- the nicks and weepers are almost non existent now;
So there is I found my problem, faulty Merkur 34C. I know that I am total noob but this can't be normal. The difference is huge. Definitely the 34C have some factory flaw. I am going to try to return it.

Welcome, Evis! I have a 38C and have never had a problem with it. Glad you were able to solve they mystery before you gave up. It's all improvement from here. Two other quick tips to consider if you still have problem areas:
  • Try skin stretching where appropriate, that might help
  • Map your beard grain; I did so shortly after I began DE shaving and it relieved a lot of the irritation I was getting

Some great advice given already but I’ll add my two cents,
You obviously enjoy the wet shaving process, don’t focus on chasing the BBS, take your time getting to know the gear you have and most importantly just enjoy each shave. As time passes you will become more skilled and I’m guessing you will enjoy it even more (less nicks and such).

Dive into these forums because there is an abundance of good information.

Cheers

Hello, Gentlemen,

Decided to become part of the community. I started DE shaving 2 months ago, and this is the best decision in my life. The whole ritual, the post shave feel, my skin looks better, just amazing.
I still can't make very good shaves though, but I realize it's too early and I need to practice the technique. I started with Merkur 34C, green Proraso cream, also use the Proraso pre-shave, and now I got a pack to test 10 different blades.
I shave every other day. And yesterday I used feather blade. I can definitely say that my technique is good enough to keep myself alive and not slit my throat :) No big cuts up until now only small nicks from time to time.
But I am very, very far from BBS. I stuggle a lot with my chin and jawline. Have a very weird small spot on my chin, where my beard grow in a super strange direction. Visually it looks good but I feel it's not with my hand. I try to do standart 3 pass shave and and always a finishing touch.
I am sure my technique will become better with time, and I will continue test the different blades. Also looking on the web to get a soap, and thinking for adjustable razor, maybe Rockwell.

Evis

Top Bottom