What's new

Newb’s first vintage razor

Hey all, I’ve been wet shaving with a Merkur 34c for a couple months, and now that I’m starting to feel reasonably proficient, I decided to add a vintage razor. The Merkur has been great as an every other day shaver, but I wanted something slightly less aggressive for everyday use. I bought this great condition Tech on eBay, which i believe is 1946-1950 vintage. The seller thew in a tuck of Feathers, and an open comb plastic slant that kind of frightens me. I’m sure that some of y’all think I overpaid at $30 because you can buy them for $5 at a swap meet, but we don’t have those kinds of swap meets around here. I thought the Merkur was a pretty small razor, but this feels dainty, yet high quality. Looking forward to the first shave tomorrow.
B5C6E639-F807-4FAD-843F-365D72B39256.jpeg
0461914B-483F-418D-878D-D50F71909625.jpeg
272EE194-2A7E-406D-84CA-5285B6C887D2.jpeg
AA77A37E-492D-46D0-A265-CAFE52549043.jpeg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Score! I too got a similar tech this past year, but yours is in far better shape. “Dainty, yet high quality“ is spot on. I’ve found it to be more mild than aggressive, and very forgiving. I’m sure you will thoroughly enjoy your first shave tomorrow with a razor that someday you’ll pass on to a loved one. Please let us know how tomorrow goes.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Nice grab! It's going to sing on your face with them there feather blades. Look forward to hearing more.

Personally, I think the tech was Gillette’s best design and is one of my favorite razors.
It is still in production by “Gillette” today as the Sterling. 90 year run and counting!

I have a ball handle Tech. The handle was too small for my hands but once I replaced the handle with a larger one I got decent shaves from it. Enjoy!

That was my first vintage razor too. Paid $25 for a clean one, but not quite as clean as yours. Great shaves once you dial it in.

The Tech is very pleasant, and that slant looks like a Fasan, or a very close copy, and its a great one to start with!

Wow, thanks for the tip... I was able to track down that it IS a modern Fasan replica, and it GLOWS IN THE DARK. Lol.

C57C082A-CFC9-4BAB-800B-E679E581DE26.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Wow, thanks for the tip... I was able to track down that it IS a modern Fasan replica, and it GLOWS IN THE DARK. Lol.

View attachment 12
Please let us know how it shaves in the dark ... :pipe:

The Gillette Tech is for me the best vintage DE razor. I have an English Ballend (1950s I think). I bought it for £5 at a boot sale along with a Bakelite case in 2011. It just feels right to me as it is not ‘fussy’ or ‘showy’ - it is just a great shaver. Nacet or Feather would be my blade recommendation.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Please let us know how it shaves in the dark ...

Does eyes-closed count? If so, it joined the growing list of razors that don’t think steep, ATG is as cool as I do. If not, I will patiently wait for @flynshave ’s answer.

I too got a similar tech this past year, but yours is in far better shape.

Same. And at the same time, the exposed red brass on the cap looks pretty awesome, but the Tech in the first post outclasses it by leagues.

Had a great shave with a GSB in the Tech. I’ve been using them with good results in the Merkur, so I wanted an apples-to-apples comparison. It’s just a little less efficent than the Merkur, but definitely less irritating, especially under the jawline. Very little stinging on the alum block, except an area on my neck that I know I did not stretch enough. Looking forward to trying the Feathers, I’m still woing my way through a 20 different tlade sampler pack.

I was pretty amazed at the condition it was in too. I doubt it’s had much use in it’s life, amazing considering it’s at least 70 years old.

Lol, I’m a bit too chicken to try the slant under the 400 watts of light in my bathroom, much less in the dark. It’s pretty unique though.

Fair price, gorgeous razor! You cannot beat vintage Gillettes. Old, New, Tech, Super Speed, doesn't matter, all some variation of awesome.

Top Bottom