What's new

Newbit check in and shave soap curing question

Hello all

After a year of DE wetshaving, I'm hooked and have been accumulating some quality tallow soaps (and other "non-vital" shaving supplies). From reading on line, some artisan bath soap sites suggest letting a fresh bar of artisan soap cure for 4 or more months before use. Do fresh containers of tallow shaving soap need to cure for optimum performance?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
An artisan soap maker shouldn't be selling soap that isn't cured and ready to use.
That would be like selling soured milk and calling it artisan cheese. Although I have known some artisan soap makers where that analogy is pretty appropriate.

An artisan soap maker shouldn't be selling soap that isn't cured and ready to use.
That would be like selling soured milk and calling it artisan cheese. Although I have known some artisan soap makers where that analogy is pretty appropriate.

As Phil said, a good soap should never have to be cured. And welcome to B&B.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The soap should already be cured. Just use it and enjoy your shaves.

Hello and welcome, catfish. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Others are spot on on aging soap. Shouldn't be needed.

As Phil said, a good soap should never have to be cured. And welcome to B&B.

Hi and Welcome to B&B! +1 to what ^ those guys said.

Welcome! Phil with yet another perfect response! :thumbup1:
+4

Top Bottom