What's new

Newbie's Intro

Hi all, just like to introduce your newest member. Don't know if this is the right place to post an intro but couldn't find a new member's forum.

Like most, I've been lurking around for a week or two, mostly gleaning info from the experts for my first foray back into proper shaving.

A few quick notes about me:
Age 54, a Welshman who's been living in and around Cheltenham, England for the last 26 years.
Working as an analyst/programmer.
Main hobby is playing the melodeon (small button accordion) for my English Ceilidh band and for a local men's morris team. (best described as a bit like a rugby club tour without the fight)

When I first started shaving it was some form of DE razor, probably a Gilette. Went the usual route through the twin blades but never got as far as the three bladers as I grew a beard and kept it for many years, using disposables to keep it in check.

I shaved most of it off a year or so ago (apart from a small, very short goatee - does that mean I have to leave?!) I have used a "lawnmower" for some of that time before going back to the disposables.

Now I've decided I want a prpoer shave and so, after reading lots of advice here, I've ordered a Merkur HD, a Shavemac hand made finest (can't afford the real quality just yet) and a tub or two of Taylor's creams as they seem to get well recommended here and are reasonably priced.

Have I done right?

Next thing os to look on EvilBay to find a pile of cheap blades.

There seem to be none from British sellers but several American sellers doing 100 Derby blades at a decent price so I might go for them when I've used up a few of the Merkur blades that come with the razor.

Better stop my essay here as it's getting a little long - verbal diahorrea strikes again!

Cheers

Gareth

Welcome to B&B, Gareth. It sounds like you've done an excellent job of doing your homework and have picked a very good brush, razor, and brand of creams. Before making a mass purchase of blades, you might consider purchasing a sampler from John (letterk) here on our board.

Keep us posted on your progress, and certainly don't hesitate to ask questions.

Kyle said:
Welcome to B&B, Gareth. It sounds like you've done an excellent job of doing your homework and have picked a very good brush, razor, and brand of creams. Before making a mass purchase of blades, you might consider purchasing a sampler from John (letterk) here on our board.

Keep us posted on your progress, and certainly don't hesitate to ask questions.

I'm still rather new here myself, but I agree with Kyle about contacting letterk about the blade sample pack. That way you can experiment with each and see what works best for you with your new razor and skin. :biggrin:

Welcome to B&B.

You may also want to contact Scotto for some of his famous shave cream samples, and get in touch with Rik for some cologne decants.

In for a penny, in for a pound!:biggrin:

Gareth,

WELCOME!

definitely get a blade sampler from letterk- that way, u will find out which blade is best for u right from the start b4 purchasing your packs of 100's.

Marty

Hi Gareth and welcome to B&B.

I was recommended the Tesco supermarket blade which are £2 for 10, they're excellent. You can get 100 packs of Wilkinson Sword from Blademail, good blades but not as sharp as the Tesco. Finally, the cheap Derby blades are back on Ebay. $15 for 100 plus $6 postage, works out to about £12 with current exchange rates.

Thnks for all the friendly welcomes folks. I've taken your advice on buying blades and have PM'd John, letterk, about a sampler pack.

As for the Tesco blades, I've some shopping to do later so it's off to the local Tesco this time to include a pack!

I have certainly noticed that DE blades and razors are rather rare around here these days! Isn't t'internet useful?

One other thing that's intrigued me on EvilBay is that there are lots of the old shaving mugs on there, the ones with a bowl on top and a hole on the side where I presume you put the hot water and brush. Does anyone use them these days? Are they any good?

Cheers

Gareth

galopede said:
One other thing that's intrigued me on EvilBay is that there are lots of the old shaving mugs on there, the ones with a bowl on top and a hole on the side where I presume you put the hot water and brush. Does anyone use them these days? Are they any good?

I always thought that those mugs were of an old era where people shaved in the bedrooms (or somewhere there's no running water) rather than a bathroom. I recently bought a Trumper one for £1.99 on ebay, this price included an old Simpson's brush so it was too much of a bargain to turn down. The mug looks nice in the bathroom but that's about all, I can't think of a single reason to use it.

proxy.php

Welcome to the eighth wonder of the wet shaving world Gareth! Shared experience and identification are only two of the benefits. I am sure once you learn the ins and outs of SCAD, RAD, SBAD, et al you'll see the other benefits.

Top Bottom