What's new

Hello All! New to the forum. I've been lurking for a week and decided to register. I've been wet shaving with a DE safety razor for about a month now. I'm enjoying the experieince, although it is definitely frustrating in the beginning! I purchased a Chieftain Jr. as my first razor. The cap kept opening on me while shaving, so I purchased a Merkur 34C and have been using that mostly. I did also buy a Vikings Blade The Emperor "Meiji" that I've used a few times, but I'm gonna wait until my technique is better before I start using that. I bought 100 Astra SP's, not knowing a sampler pack is recommended. Should have started "researching" on this forum BEFORE I started my journey. Anyway, I tried a few of the milder blades in the sampler pack (Derby, Shark) and the Wilkinson Sword (black) and the Lord Platinum's. I think the mild blades are just too mild. I'm in my 50's and I think my hair is just too coarse (not thick). I haven't tried the Astra's in the Merkur until this morning. It was the first time I got a shave I am pleased with, so I'm gonna stick to the Astra blades for a month or so. I by no means am saying it was a "good" shave....just one with no nicks, no irritation, and close in most spots. Under the chin is my problem area. My face is skinny, so theres quite a curve from cheek to neck. Still figuring out what will work there. Tried stretching the skin, and also "bullfrogging" but can't get a close shave there yet. I have a few shaving soaps and after shaves (What a rabbit hole!), but so far my favorite are the ones from Declaration Grooming. I like doing a half bowl/half face kinda lathering "technique". Whip it up a little in the bowl and finish on the face. I have been doing 2 pass shaves (WTG, XTG), and a third just under the chin (WTG) for now until get the hang of it. I can't thank you veterans enough for all the help on here. You've really made the transition to wet shaving much easier!

Welcome to B&B!

Sounds like you are off to a good start, I suggest staying with the same gear set up and work on technique. If you want to change something, I would only change 1 variable at a time.

If you haven't looked at them yet, the shave wiki's are a great source of info.

Welcome, emorrison!

Since you're new to this remember that your skin is too. You're on the right track sticking with one blade and one razor until your technique settles. As you know by now, let the head of the razor do the work, no pressure.

Once you've been at it a while you'll probably consider giving those blades a try you didn't care for the first time around.

Glad to have you aboard!

Welcome, emorrison!

Since you're new to this remember that your skin is too. You're on the right track sticking with one blade and one razor until your technique settles. As you know by now, let the head of the razor do the work, no pressure.

Once you've been at it a while you'll probably consider giving those blades a try you didn't care for the first time around.

Glad to have you aboard!
Yea, that whole pressure thing is tough to master. With the cartridge I could just dig in...one long swipe. I'm finished in 2 minutes. I'll definitely go back to the other blades later on.
The whole wet shaving experience is just so enjoyable, even if I'm not getting a closer shave....yet. So glad I started this journey/hobby, and the wonderful people on this forum are just so helpful. I'm a member on other fourms for other hobbies, and I have to say this forum is really good.

Welcome to the B&B, use the forums and shaving wiki here. Sounds like your already on your way to great shaves. Everyone above has given great advice, nothing more I can add.

Except: Live, learn and use the B&B forum, these guys are the best !

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.

Top Bottom