What's new

newbie with razor question

I am looking for a razor to start shaving with, since the way I am now is unsatisfactory. I am looking on ebay and have a few that I am interested in buying. I need your opinions on which to purchase.

1) gilette de adjustable
2) schick injector ( not sure if a adjustable is better or not)
3) gilette techmatic

Please help me decide.

Steven

I have a Gillette adjustable that I enjoy using. I also like the Gillette Aristocrat. I have not used the Techmatic, so cannot rate it.

The Gillette TECH razor is a great first DE- I cannot recommend it enough it is also not in great demand on eBay so the prices are very low. Its a double bang -low cost and great starter razor- They have many permutations but all have a 3 piece design.happy bidding :biggrin:

I am not sure what a Techmatic is I suspect it is a version of the TECH which uses the standard DE blade- If you PM me the link to the razor I would be glad to take a look.

With The Grain said:
the techmatics were a band razor, not to be confused with the nice/gentle shaving DE Tech's. blades are not available for them
Glad you jumped on that!

Steven I PM'd you a link for a tech razor on ebay-

Steven,

I started with a Merkur HD only to pick up a Gillette Adj (1960's). I am no where near mastering DE shaveing (yet!!!). But I really like the Gillette a lot right now because I can dial it back.

Good luck!

Hi Steven,

I'm still new to wetshaving; however, I too must raise my voice in praise of the lowly and forgotten Gillette Tech. I purchased one at a local antique store for $4.00 and was very pleased with the quality of the shave.

2 thumbs up for the Tech. :thumbup:

I personally would not start with an adjustable DE. I find that with a fixed head I can focus on getting my technique correct and have less 'gadgets' to fiddle with. Also, the adjustables just seem to be the flavor of the month and aren't worth the price.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
- Ken -

For new guys, I will always recommend the Merkur HD Classic or the Progress. I believe that these are the easiest to master.

Randy

I've just joined up and I'm trying to figure out what "DE" stands for. I may be just missing the obvious here ...

Excellent site and forum - I'm really glad I found it.

Bakerloo Line said:
I've just joined up and I'm trying to figure out what "DE" stands for. I may be just missing the obvious here ...

Excellent site and forum - I'm really glad I found it.

Welcome
DE = Double edge :biggrin:

rtaylor61 said:
For new guys, I will always recommend the Merkur HD Classic or the Progress. I believe that these are the easiest to master.

Randy

Hello and Welcome Steven,

I agree with you Randy, I have a Progress and a Classic Long Handle, I love both, very smooth shaves and efficient, also the Fat Boy is a good razor to start, IMO...
Another razor which I use sometimes is a Schick Injector Type E, also great, but I find the DE's much better...

Thomas

Top Bottom