What's new

Newbie- Which brush?

Hey everyone- I have been wet shaving for a few months now with good products but not good tools. I have a thread going over in the DE section as to which Merkur to get.

I have been using Proraso products with much success, but i only have the target brand "Caldo" shaving brush. It looks like this:

proxy.php

I'll probaby end up getting the Merkur classic or Progress. I have been used to using Gilette SEnsor Excel razors on my face, so it will be a little bit of a learning curve.

But which brush should i get? Something that will last and go good with my other products? Is the Caldo look cheap? Kent? Simson? Old Classic?

thanks-:confused:

I will second what roughrider has stated...however if you wanted to spend a bit more you have quite a few options with Shavemacs and SR's without getting to the Simpsons scale of prices...some feel the Simpsons are well worth their prices...some don't...IMHO...YMMV...Yada...Yada...

Any C&E store or order online (but shipping will add to the cost).

I always recommend the SR brushes from QED to people looking for value brushes.

I just bought the SR104 for a new wetshaver as a first brush - unbeatable brush for $28 I have an SR100 travel brush and have a SR3322 silvertip en route.

You can also order some other great shaving products from Charles (the owner of QED) at the same time. His website blows goats, but he responds to emails very quickly.

Anyhow, just my .02.

Not sure what bristles are in the Caldo - but if they're boar, any decent badger brush will hold more water and make better lather.

I don't know what issues you're having with the Caldo, but from the picture, I think the SR104 (or any of the SR pure badger brushes) has more densely packed bristles that are likely of higher quaility. The very small SR100 travel brush that I have makes great lather and feels great - scrubby, but not harsh/abrasive.

You should also look at the several posts under the Shaving Brush forum for people's responses to virtually identical questions - i.e., I want a good starter brush for not too much money.

From the picture, your brush looks very prickly. The SR would not be prickly. It would probably feel firmer, though, from being denser.

What don't you like about the brush? If it's doing what you need it to, you're set. If there are specific problems with it, or you just want to experiment, tell us what you're interested in.

I agree...if you were unhappy with the bristle but like the handle you could always have Bernd at Shavemac re bristle it for you...

for the most part im satisfied with it, but i have nothing to compare it to. I guess i just want a good wet shaving set, and don't want to have any weak links in terms of quality.

The brush is a little course, although the package said it was real badger hair. It's not as dense as the ones you guys recommended, so that fact alone could contribute to less than desirable lather.

I think that I'll try out the SR104 and let you guys know what I think. thanks for answering newbie questions :thumbup1:

boboakalfb said:
I agree...if you were unhappy with the bristle but like the handle you could always have Bernd at Shavemac re bristle it for you...

I would definitely give this some thought. I like the handle on that Caldo. :biggrin:

This is from another post I recently made.
Today, I ordered the one from TheEnglishSavingCompany.com

What is the difference between these two brushes:

1) from EnglishShavingCompany.com ($32 TOTAL, including shipping to USA (no tax):
http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/EJ947IV||@cTraditional%20English%20Handmade%20Badger%20Shaving%20Brushes@b|0|user||9|

2) from Crabtree & Evelyn ($35 + $6 shipping = $41 TOTAL):
http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/acc130147.html

They look the same to me.

mpisarcik said:
for the most part im satisfied with it, but i have nothing to compare it to. I guess i just want a good wet shaving set, and don't want to have any weak links in terms of quality.

The brush is a little course, although the package said it was real badger hair. It's not as dense as the ones you guys recommended, so that fact alone could contribute to less than desirable lather.

I think that I'll try out the SR104 and let you guys know what I think. thanks for answering newbie questions :thumbup1:

Dude I have that EXACT same brush...mine is pretty soft...but what I found after I switched to a Superior brush is that Caldo is a big floppy mess...it sucks compared to the better brushes that are out there.....plus it sheds worse than a dog.

You just about can't go wrong with any of the suggestions given.
I like my Superior brush and am drooling over a couple of shavemac brushes.

-Sean

mpisarcik said:

Why don't you get the Proraso boar brush that is sold at Target? It is made by Omega and, since you already have a basic badger brush, you may find the boar brush an interesting variation. Boar brushes really do a great job of massaging the face. I have 4 badger brushes (and two more on the way), but I often go back to my old Omega boar brush and really enjoy the lathering action it affords.

Top Bottom