What's new

newbie watch collector!

i have always liked watches. but i never collected them for the obvious reason that they are expensive!

but these days i'm really getting obsessed with them. and would like to have all your kind opinion on the following.

i have 2 watches to start of with..
a timex and a citizen.
i bought them purely on the basis of looks and i dont know anything about them.

$100_2678.jpg
$100_2680.jpg
what is your opinion on these watches? and brands?

also what are good watch brands to start a collection?

thanks!

Watches and watch collecting is cool... you will have fun.

The Timex watch line has a long history of affordability and durability. Many years ago they were iconic for John Cameron Swazey TV commercials that said "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking." More recently they came out with a more upscale line of automatic watches. Citizen is a bit more upscale... famous for their EcoDrive watches, and advertising using well known athletes.

The next line to look at would be Seiko. They have a wide rage of watches, from affordable (including their Seiko 5 line) to unobtainable (the GS series, the MarineMaster are two of their upscale lines). Many great affordable watches like the Seiko Sumo and Monster dive watches. Some are available in Japan only, and these often are nicer for the money. Also, people take some of the easy to find and affordable Seiko 5 watches and customize them to look like expensive watches (eg, the Seiko Fifty Fathoms homage).

I'd also suggest looking at Casio G-Shocks. Great looks, very durable, and reasonably priced. Orient also makes very nice watches for the money. If you are adventuresome, look for Russian watches as collectible. Often great builds for the money.

You can go crazy and find all sorts of very expensive watches... Omegas, Breitlings, Panarei, Stowa, Oris,and Hamiltons and then way up beyond into really expensive watches.

As with B&B, there are great watch discussion web sites where you can also buy nice previously-owned watches. Here are a few:

http://www.watchuseek.com/home
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32
http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/index.php?3

Looks like a nice start. Especially since they are quite different from each other and something you like. As you say, watches can be quite expensive, so not something to collect without thought. I would start slowly, since your tastes will change over time. I think many people focus on a certain brand, or particular era. Some only want mechanical movements, others look for digital or quartz. But that is up to you.

May I ask what model number is the Timex? What does the big red hand do, and the round hand 180 degree opposite from it?

Good start. My opinion is that you should buy what appeals to you. If you buy from ebay, set a maximum price for yourself. Do not get caught up in the heat of the moment and pay too much.

If you want a higher end watch, save up your dimes until you have enough to buy it.

Good start! Both are solid performers.

As mentioned start looking at Seiko, great quality and bang for the buck. One of my fav's is this japanese market "Sumo":

$IMG_1659_2.jpg

With the dollar being strong against the yen, these are now going for $400-$500 new which is a great bargain. Save your pennies for one............

Regards,

Matty

Thank you all for you replies. I'm glad that the watches i have already bought are considered as good watches and brands.
From your replies i have gathered that seiko is the way to go. i'm looking at models already :D

Looks like a nice start. Especially since they are quite different from each other and something you like. As you say, watches can be quite expensive, so not something to collect without thought. I would start slowly, since your tastes will change over time. I think many people focus on a certain brand, or particular era. Some only want mechanical movements, others look for digital or quartz. But that is up to you.

May I ask what model number is the Timex? What does the big red hand do, and the round hand 180 degree opposite from it?

@StillShaving sure sir.
The model number is T45601. (Expedition - conversation starter)
You can buy it with either a metal bracelet , a leather strap, or a silicone band.

I bought the one with the beautiful thick leather strap. But then 6 months in, one of the loops broke and i had to replace it. I chose this metal bracelet instead.

The red hand points to temperature when the temperature key is pressed and it points to the north direction when the compass key is pressed.
The hand with the circle points to the tide(I rarely use it).

Last edited:
I've been a fan of the Invicta collections lately. Lots and lots of choices and a very, very wide price range. I peruse the 'World of Watches' website at least 3 to 4 times a week. Lucien Picard and Swiss Legend are two other brands WoW carries a lot of but I prefer the Invicta's over those.

Top Bottom