What's new

Newbie w/ 8yrs experience.

Welcome. I am a face latherer and I get the stuff all over the place and some even on my face. Love VDH Deluxe with shea butter. Make a great, cheap lather full of water and slickness.

I use a Semoge 1305, 610, PAA Atomic Rocket, Omega 11047. All perform very well and feel great on my skin.

Glad to hear everything is coming into place for you :), sorry to hear that it took so long :(.

If your lather is working for you, it's right!

But, if your wanting to experiment with it, get it to where it is "whipped", then add a few drops, whip, repeat. Starting with too much results in foam, even if it will hold that much water added slowly over time.

So, taking the advice from those here, and the thread I linked, I tried some more experimentation. Only this time I skipped the bowl and face lathered. Started with minimal H20 as I usually do, then slowly added drops of water directly to the brush. Completely different experience. Instead of the foam I usually get when adding water to the bowl, I wound up with slick lather that worked really well. Can't explain it, but I guess that doesn't matter [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So, taking the advice from those here, and the thread I linked, I tried some more experimentation. Only this time I skipped the bowl and face lathered. Started with minimal H20 as I usually do, then slowly added drops of water directly to the
brush​
. Completely different experience. Instead of the foam I usually get when adding water to the bowl, I wound up with slick lather that worked really well. Can't explain it, but I guess that doesn't matter [emoji1787]

I just noticed your phrasing there. Do you normally add water to the bowl, or the brush? If the bowl, you might try added to the brush instead, if you prefer bowl lathering. I prefer face, so haven't noticed or tried experiments with bowl lathering, and have always added water to the brush the few times I bowl lathered.

I just noticed your phrasing there. Do you normally add water to the bowl, or the brush? If the bowl, you might try added to the brush instead, if you prefer bowl lathering. I prefer face, so haven't noticed or tried experiments with bowl lathering, and have always added water to the brush the few times I bowl lathered.
I was adding to the bowl, directly into the lather that's in there. I also think this might somehow make a difference. I'm going to try the bowl again tomorrow, but add water directly to the brush. I'll let you know if that makes any difference for me.

Between this thread and the straight razor thread you can probably tell that I'm all about experimenting right now [emoji1787].

I was adding to the bowl, directly into the lather that's in there. I also think this might somehow make a difference. I'm going to try the bowl again tomorrow, but add water directly to the brush. I'll let you know if that makes any difference for me.

Between this thread and the straight razor thread you can probably tell that I'm all about experimenting right now [emoji1787].

I think it improves shaving the quickest! Doing everything the same makes you good at doing it that way. "That way" might have flaws. Changing things - slowly- one at a time- allows to figure out what "broke" something, and trying it again let's you know whether it truly "Broke", or whether your having a bad day.

I just noticed your phrasing there. Do you normally add water to the bowl, or the brush?...

...I'm going to try the bowl again tomorrow, but add water directly to the brush. I'll let you know if that makes any difference for me.

I think there's something to this. Tried bowl lathering this morning and only added drops of water to the brush, instead of the bowl. There's an improvement for sure. Still think face lathering worked best.

I've got a puck of Williams to try tomorrow. I've read it difficult to lather, so I'm excited about that.

Top Bottom