What's new

newbie update (same post in shave clinic subforum)

I thought I would post this here as well in hopes that it would get more views than in the Shave Clinic and Newbie check-in subforum. If it's against the rules to double post I apologize profusely and feel free to delete this post.

Wayne

Newbie update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I would post an update here and have you guys let the useful tips and comments fly my way as y'all usually do!

Just to give some background again (since I've only posted once or twice) - I have been wetshaving for years with Mach 3 cartridges. I used an electric off and on for a few years but always hated it and when the screen got a hole in it I took it as an opportunity and chunked it in the trash. Now that I was a dedicated wetshaver I somehow stumbled upon this forum. I went on ebay and bid on a 1937 Injector (bakelite handle), went to Target and bought some Proraso cream and a Proraso brush. I used the Proraso and brush with my Mach 3 while I was waiting for my injector to arrive (since I won) and I couldn't believe how much just those two items improved my shave. My injector finally came in and I went to CVS and picked up some blades. Since then I haven't had as good of shaves as with the Mach 3. The injector feels like it's scraping instead of cutting and my neck has been very irritated. I'm going on a week now with the CVS blades and I changed to a fresh one this morning but I still had the same results. I'm not giving up on the injector yet since I know the CVS blades can be hit or miss for various individuals (I figured they were worth a try since they're readily available), but is there anything else I should try? I'm doing a two pass technique with relathering. I've got a couple of Gems on the way to try as well (RAD is setting in!) and I'm also going to try the other brands of injector blades. Thanks in advance for your help and comments!

Wayne

Given my experience with drugstore blades in general, I'd say the first thing would be to get your hands on a better injector blade and se if this improves the performance of the razor.

Injector fans, please weigh in!:smile:

mrob said:
Injector fans, please weigh in!:smile:

Actually, I'm not an injector fan, and the only reason I decided not to go with injectors when I first decided to take up wetshaving was the lack of consistent blade availability.

My recommendation would be to avoid injectors and Gem razors and go with a double edge razor. Since the original poster is happy to play on Ebay, there are hundreds of really good Gillette SuperSpeeds and such being sold every day, many of them for really cheap. Then Derby or Isreali blades are only about $20 for 100, and Feathe or Merkur blades can also be gotten for not much more.

Or, go new and buy a Merkur razor off the shelf. Either way, the availability and choice with DE razors is far superior to injectors or Gem single edge razors.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that whole question of what to buy brought me to this forum in the first place, and everything I read here steered me in that direction, and now I'm getting the best shaves of my life with a Merkur HD and Derby blades. That's just my preference, but I had the luxury of a wide choice to narrow down to that as well.

I'm just passing along my own personal esperience here, so if you have a success story about single edge razors or injectors, please say something.

Peace,

Pierre

BigDawgBarkin said:
I thought I would post this here as well in hopes that it would get more views than in the Shave Clinic and Newbie check-in subforum. If it's against the rules to double post I apologize profusely and feel free to delete this post.

Wayne

Newbie update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I would post an update here and have you guys let the useful tips and comments fly my way as y'all usually do!

Just to give some background again (since I've only posted once or twice) - I have been wetshaving for years with Mach 3 cartridges. I used an electric off and on for a few years but always hated it and when the screen got a hole in it I took it as an opportunity and chunked it in the trash. Now that I was a dedicated wetshaver I somehow stumbled upon this forum. I went on ebay and bid on a 1937 Injector (bakelite handle), went to Target and bought some Proraso cream and a Proraso brush. I used the Proraso and brush with my Mach 3 while I was waiting for my injector to arrive (since I won) and I couldn't believe how much just those two items improved my shave. My injector finally came in and I went to CVS and picked up some blades. Since then I haven't had as good of shaves as with the Mach 3. The injector feels like it's scraping instead of cutting and my neck has been very irritated. I'm going on a week now with the CVS blades and I changed to a fresh one this morning but I still had the same results. I'm not giving up on the injector yet since I know the CVS blades can be hit or miss for various individuals (I figured they were worth a try since they're readily available), but is there anything else I should try? I'm doing a two pass technique with relathering. I've got a couple of Gems on the way to try as well (RAD is setting in!) and I'm also going to try the other brands of injector blades. Thanks in advance for your help and comments!

Wayne
Read this and Thanks!

Top Bottom