What's new

newbie to shaving brushes, need help please

Which do you prefer, badgers or boars or synthetics?
Badger, but my points of comparison have been limited..

Badgers: Duke 2 in Best, Wee Scot in Best, Maggard 22m 2-band badger
Boars: one of the limited run B&B boars from several years ago, Wilkinson Sword brush from walmart
Synthetics: none

I want to try some of the high end badger hair (like silvertip, manchurian, etc), but finding that in a knot under 18mm is unlikely. Best I can find is Simpsons being willing to do a custom Wee Scot in Super, which I might go for eventually. Haven't even started looking at synthetics yet.

Reactions: saj
Badger, but my points of comparison have been limited..

Badgers: Duke 2 in Best, Wee Scot in Best, Maggard 22m 2-band badger
Boars: one of the limited run B&B boars from several years ago, Wilkinson Sword brush from walmart
Synthetics: none

I want to try some of the high end badger hair (like silvertip, manchurian, etc), but finding that in a knot under 18mm is unlikely. Best I can find is Simpsons being willing to do a custom Wee Scot in Super, which I might go for eventually. Haven't even started looking at synthetics yet.
try out a synthetic when you get a chance mate, obviously everyone's taste is different but I reckon you'll like them

i got the bodyshop shaving brush the other day not sure if its better then the simple £2 one from wilko tbh YMMV

grabbed this babyliss shaving brush,
can't find any info on it online,
doesn't even say if it's synthetic or pure bristle etc, from the feel I assume its synthetic

IMG_20211116_173050.jpg
IMG_20211116_174819.jpg

Don't be too concerned with getting "the right" brush at this point. The 2 you have will make impressive quality lather. The ky isn't some spendy Badger brush. , but a combination of a good soap and how you handle it. My Grandfather died in 1965 and left me a straight razor and a Mae-Rie boar brush. I shaved for decades with the old boar brush before discovering it was a piece of junk and iwould neeo get an expensive Badger brush to 'do it right'. My shaves were perfectly satisfactory withg somecold Wilkinson blades and a Gillette Slim Twist given to me back when i first began shaving. Neither blade nor razor were deemed even adequate, according to some of my first encounters with shaving 'purists'.

Knowing nothing about badger brushes, i go an E-Bay Chinese$2.50 special Badger. Of course it turned out to be a synthetic with a beechwood handle. It whipped up latherin grande fashion, but none better norworsecthan my olreli boar brush. I began collecting vintage Gillettes, andwasagain led to believe that the more expensivethe brush, the better the lather & shave - R eality proved this to be pure BS.

As you can see, here on badger & Blade, everyone has their favorite selection of razors, blades soaps and brushes.

I have over a dozen brushes, and theone I'm using at the moment is my favorite. All (except one Semogue Boar) build impressive lather that isn't in any way dependent on price of the brush.

Today I used my old $2.50 Cheap-o and it lathered up my selection of soap ( Shnnon's Indigo Oud) every bit as well as One of my Badgers.

I have difficulty finding my ideal brush - smaller knots around 22 mm are what I want, since bigger isn't any better, but just needs more soap. i like loner handles. So far, my synthetic Yaqi Cola meets my criteria, and it performs on par with the best of my other brushes.

I would recommend to use the 2 brushes you already have, since they are capable of producing the perfect lather for you. Best to concentrate on a proven good soap. Stirling and Shannon's Soaps work the best for me ... but so does Williams, Palmolive, Lea and Tabac.

A good soap plus proper bowl lathering technique can make or break a fine shave quicker than the choice of brush.

Don't be too concerned with getting "the right" brush at this point. The 2 you have will make impressive quality lather. The ky isn't some spendy Badger brush. , but a combination of a good soap and how you handle it. My Grandfather died in 1965 and left me a straight razor and a Mae-Rie boar brush. I shaved for decades with the old boar brush before discovering it was a piece of junk and iwould neeo get an expensive Badger brush to 'do it right'. My shaves were perfectly satisfactory withg somecold Wilkinson blades and a Gillette Slim Twist given to me back when i first began shaving. Neither blade nor razor were deemed even adequate, according to some of my first encounters with shaving 'purists'.

Knowing nothing about badger brushes, i go an E-Bay Chinese$2.50 special Badger. Of course it turned out to be a synthetic with a beechwood handle. It whipped up latherin grande fashion, but none better norworsecthan my olreli boar brush. I began collecting vintage Gillettes, andwasagain led to believe that the more expensivethe brush, the better the lather & shave - R eality proved this to be pure BS.

As you can see, here on badger & Blade, everyone has their favorite selection of razors, blades soaps and brushes.

I have over a dozen brushes, and theone I'm using at the moment is my favorite. All (except one Semogue Boar) build impressive lather that isn't in any way dependent on price of the brush.

Today I used my old $2.50 Cheap-o and it lathered up my selection of soap ( Shnnon's Indigo Oud) every bit as well as One of my Badgers.

I have difficulty finding my ideal brush - smaller knots around 22 mm are what I want, since bigger isn't any better, but just needs more soap. i like loner handles. So far, my synthetic Yaqi Cola meets my criteria, and it performs on par with the best of my other brushes.

I would recommend to use the 2 brushes you already have, since they are capable of producing the perfect lather for you. Best to concentrate on a proven good soap. Stirling and Shannon's Soaps work the best for me ... but so does Williams, Palmolive, Lea and Tabac.

A good soap plus proper bowl lathering technique can make or break a fine shave quicker than the choice of brush.
Yea very good advice

What type of shaving bowls you got?

Yea very good advice

What type of shaving bowls you got?
My favorite is a Libby Crisa footed salsa bowl from the 99¢ store. I also have several Rubbermaid bowls that work great:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I've got a few other bowls & cups, none designed for shaving, but all work well.

My favorite is a Libby Crisa footed salsa bowl from the 99¢ store. I also have several Rubbermaid bowls that work great:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I've got a few other bowls & cups, none designed for shaving, but all work well.
Yea like that can be creative and think outside the box

so just thought I'd read about the different types of badger brushes, I have only one badger brush and that's a pure badger by muhle

I wanted to ask those of you experienced badger brush users if there a big difference between the pure badger and the silver tip? Or is there not a lot in it?

Btw I'm so gutted I can't use boar brushes as I loved the omega I had before, I'm actually surprised boar brushes dont get as much love as the badger brushes

use this for the first time the hawkins and brimble shaving brush,
might actually be of my best shaving brushes, not that i spend a lot of shaving brushes lool

proxy.php

I miss using the omega boar brush I had,

think it's the stiffness (think you call it backbone) that I really miss, like I don't have that on my synthetics or badger, fair enough I only got the one badger but I think they're known for being softer brushes, correct me if I'm wrong

Really considering get some boars

Which boars are good?

This was the omega one I previously had,

anyone know which omega it is and if they were any good?

Don't remember why I went for that one specifically

Screenshot_2022-07-10-22-11-52-69_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

this erasmic shaving brush really confuses me, as you can see on the pics it says 'pure bristle' at the front of the packaging and on the back it says 'synthetic bristles', I mean which one is it? lol

p.s I know lot of member on this forum are from the states and not sure if you can get erasmic there

IMG_20220715_140625.jpg
IMG_20220715_140641.jpg

"Made in China" on the package says it all. Apparently thr Chinese can lie about package contents and products. I purchased a Chinese "Best Badger" brush several years ago. When I received it, it was marked as a "Best Badger", but in tiny print on the back it said "100% synthetic bristles." It was cheap, so it didn't much matter, and after use, I became a believer in synthetics.
Remove your brush from the package and soak in warm water for about 5 minutes. Does the brush have a characteristic barnyard scent, often the trademark of a cheap boar brush?
IMO, it would be advantageous if the brush were actually synthetic, but it does look ore like a boar bristle brush.

this erasmic shaving brush really confuses me, as you can see on the pics it says 'pure bristle' at the front of the packaging and on the back it says 'synthetic bristles', I mean which one is it? lol

p.s I know lot of member on this forum are from the states and not sure if you can get erasmic there

View attachment 1488436View attachment 1488437
I once bought a chemist shaving brush which proclaimed "pure bristle". It was me arse.

It was more plastic than a bag of cable ties.

I now use it as a cleaning brush in my toolbox. :)

• Haha
I once bought a chemist shaving brush which proclaimed "pure bristle". It was me arse.

It was more plastic than a bag of cable ties.

I now use it as a cleaning brush in my toolbox. :)
hey at least you found some use for it lool

hey quick question can you gt stiff synthetic brushes which are more like boar brushes by chance?

Top Bottom