What's new

newbie to shaving brushes, need help please

@Big Jim @thombrogan @Kaldane

heres a few pics of the wilkinson sword brush too

IMG_20210502_215414.jpg
IMG_20210502_215435.jpg
IMG_20210502_215611.jpg
IMG_20210502_215550.jpg

by the way guys in the above pic what does the arrow pointing at 20 stand for? im curious lol

heres a few pics of the erasmic brush and also the wilkinson sword brush too

View attachment 1261214

If you allow me sir, these are crushed bristles. So crushed that they even started to tangle. Try not to press your brushes so hard against your face or against your bowl. It is very bad for any brush, even a synthetic. Try not to splay all the way down to the handle when you splay it. Use the upper part of the loft when splaying.

Reactions: saj
ohh yea i got this brush on its way to me, its synthetic and its got 30mm knot and i think ill like the big shaving brushes as im a head shaver too

this company 'Pearl' seems to be an indian company, was for a decent price i liked the size and look, reminds me of those simpson shvaing brushes, not saying its going to be as good as those but yea thought i'd take a punt...

s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

If you allow me sir, these are crushed bristles. So crushed that they even started to tangle. Try not to press your brushes so hard against your face or against your bowl. It is very bad for any brush, even a synthetic. Try not to splay all the way down to the handle when you splay it. Use the upper part of the loft when splaying.
wow didnt know or realise that, like i said i literally know nothing about shaving brushes, thanks for the heads up mate :)

Just an example of what i mentioned that i had found while googling. Omega Evo. It can happen to the best of families! For a synthetic that costs more than many high grade badgers, you would expect better QC. Imagine the scandal, if this was a €60 Yaqi handle!

Omega Evo difetto 01.jpg

@thombrogan

And this sir, is a special photo for you, that i gathered in the same forum and found most interesting. Left Trafalgar, right Roma.

Now, apparently the gentleman using them has quite a heavy hand. And as you can see, the Roma "resists" better. I have mixed feelings about whether i want to buy this brush ever since i saw this photo. I don't know... I just find it odd to see a knot like this.

yIOf4Th.jpg

ohh yea i got this brush on its way to me, its synthetic and its got 30mm knot and i think ill like the big shaving brushes as im a head shaver too

this company 'Pearl' seems to be an indian company, was for a decent price i liked the size and look, reminds me of those simpson shvaing brushes, not saying its going to be as good as those but yea thought i'd take a punt...

View attachment 1261223View attachment 1261224View attachment 1261225View attachment 1261226

I have no idea what knot this is. It reminds me of some unknown chinese brushes you find on Amazon once in a while. Probably not the best specimens of synthetics out there, but if you like them, why not.

Pearl is a well-known company, although they're usually known for their razors, not brushes.

by the way whats a good price for a 30mm knot synthetic brush?

30mm is really big, but it shouldn't be much more than a 26mm.

Synthetic brushes today are mostly inexpensive, with any cost premium being a fancy handle or a luxury name.

There's a Yaqi 30mm listed for under $18, and even the monster Kent BK/BLK12S only lists as £50.00 full retail from Kent, and likely available for significantly less..

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I have mixed feelings about whether i want to buy this brush ever since i saw this photo.

Actually, seeing it may resist insensitive, brutish behavior is improving its stock for me. Might be more of what I already have, but it will be its photographic negative.

by the way whats a good price for a 30mm knot synthetic brush?

Anything less than £24 seems good for a 30mm synthetic brush to me.

heres a few pics of the wilkinson sword brush too

View attachment 1261218View attachment 1261219View attachment 1261220View attachment 1261221

by the way guys in the above pic what does the arrow pointing at 20 stand for? im curious lol

That looks like a boar knot that has been dyed to make it resemble a badger knot. That was once very common but has tapered back in the last few years.

As for the arrow pointing to 20, it is an identifier for the injection molding company that made the handle. It might be a batch code. Often it identifies which chamber in a multi-chambered mold. When used to identify the mold chamber it helps pin down the offending chamber when things go wrong.

Actually, seeing it may resist insensitive, brutish behavior is improving its stock for me. Might be more of what I already have, but it will be its photographic negative.

This is my i am torn too, sir. On the one hand, i can't but admire the resistance with which the Roma fights back the assault. On the other hand, this grows a fear in me, because i don't wrestle with my brushes. What if i can't beat?! :lol1:

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That adds further to your options, @saj1985

Also, some head shavers use 24mm knots; such as @gwsmallwood and his RazoRock 400 with Noir Plissoft knot; so that could open a host of options to you.

That adds further to your options, @saj1985

Also, some head shavers use 24mm knots; such as @gwsmallwood and his RazoRock 400 with Noir Plissoft knot; so that could open a host of options to you.
Yea I'll check out some of his shaving YouTube vids and check out the shaving brushes in action, thanks for the heads up mate 👍💯
I do enjoy 24mm knots for head shaving, but I also like softer brushes. It sounds like you enjoy some fairly heavy backbone. That Pearl looks like it could fit the bill. I avoid Yaqi for personal reasons, so I don't have any Yaqi brushes that I can recommend. I think if you like a ton of backbone with soft tips, 28mm or larger should be your target. Once you get past 26mm, the knot lofts stop growing with the knot diameters, so you end up with a larger diameter, shorter lofted brush, which gives them more backbone.

If you can find a 28mm SynBad style knot, I think you would enjoy it. I got mine from APShaveCo, but I think Yaqi has the same knot branded Mew Brown or something like that. From what I've heard, those larger Omega Evos have a ton of backbone as well. I have a "Premium" synthetic I got a few years ago from Turn N Shave that also has really good backbone. Tuxedos and Boss/Gamechanger knots could work, too, especially in the 26 - 28mm range, but they need to be set with a low loft. I would probably stay away from Cashmere, the Black and Grey and the Grey and White knots. Those 3 have such soft tips, that even with large amounts of backbone they might feel too soft for your tastes.

I do enjoy 24mm knots for head shaving, but I also like softer brushes. It sounds like you enjoy some fairly heavy backbone. That Pearl looks like it could fit the bill. I avoid Yaqi for personal reasons, so I don't have any Yaqi brushes that I can recommend. I think if you like a ton of backbone with soft tips, 28mm or larger should be your target. Once you get past 26mm, the knot lofts stop growing with the knot diameters, so you end up with a larger diameter, shorter lofted brush, which gives them more backbone.

If you can find a 28mm SynBad style knot, I think you would enjoy it. I got mine from APShaveCo, but I think Yaqi has the same knot branded Mew Brown or something like that. From what I've heard, those larger Omega Evos have a ton of backbone as well. I have a "Premium" synthetic I got a few years ago from Turn N Shave that also has really good backbone. Tuxedos and Boss/Gamechanger knots could work, too, especially in the 26 - 28mm range, but they need to be set with a low loft. I would probably stay away from Cashmere, the Black and Grey and the Grey and White knots. Those 3 have such soft tips, that even with large amounts of backbone they might feel too soft for your tastes.

Cool thanks for information mate, yea I think I'm going to like the pearl 30mm knot shaving brush, well that's what I'm hoping lol

On a side note when I watched your first ever vid on youtube and you mentioned you were a practicing christian from what I can remember off the top of my head, so I wanted to ask is it permissible or not for you christians to use badger hair or boar bristle brushes? Just curious ☺️

Would also be interested to hear from anyone one else who follows different religions like judaism, sikhism, hinduism, buddhism etc etc

Top Bottom