What's new

Newbie to CCW - Opinions on Taurus GX4

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Your premise is flawed: The Taurus is not necessarily a perfectly fine, functioning firearm.

Yes it is.

You are the one who brought up cost before the op set the record straight.

No sir, you just ignored the subtleties in his posts. For example; did you happen to notice when he said he got to hold most of the pistols except for the Taurus? Did you notice, when he said, he held and liked the G43X, he was still 'leaning' toward the Taurus G3C because it's dimensions closely matched the G43X?

So while he clarified he is open to all brands, he clearly stated in the thread and it's title, his interest in the Taurus line and can it fulfill his personal needs as well as some of the more costlier brands? Him also clarifying, he is a Christian Minister who isn't rolling in money, seems to align with wanting a reputable budget pistol brand and not one of the top three?

And while he said, he knows one needs to spend money to get quality, He also said; "I'm also not opposed to buying Taurus if it's a trustworthy brand and will do what I want it to do."

Cherry pick quote much?…The OP also said:

“To clarify where I am coming from, I'll say that I'm open to all brands.”

and

“However, I also appreciate that sometimes you pay more the first because in the long run it's cheaper to buy quality.”

Cherry pick? What part of his posts telling us, that he has already, held every one of the top brands except for the Taurus, but he still is leaning toward the Taurus do you not understand sir?
Desperate no. Recycling/Upcycling/repurposing -absolutely. In the past three years, I have sold hundreds of dollars worth of the intersection of quality/value gear to buy top notch stuff across the board. Some of it found at a thrift store, some off eBay, some brand new on line and in stores, most on sale, some full retail.

You also consider yourself to be a gunfighter? or at least a man who is really, really, really good at it? He is a humble Christian Minister sir, not a Brazillian police officer as your links suggest? He just wants an excellent, budget minded pistol to either have in the home or for carry. I just YouTubed the Taurus G3C and Taurus G3C vs G43X and vs Sig P365. While no one is saying it's better, the consensus of the whole are not saying it's junk either and it's a perfectly acceptable pistol in quality for the money. That's exactly what he wanted to know? Is the Taurus worth it? I say yes, so do many others.

I get it sir, you consider yourself the tip of the spear, but only you are saying they are junk?

I am “serious” because buying marginal to *** gear when better can usually be for the same used and not that much more new is often an avoidable mistake.

Name a publicly funded first responder entity in the US that has purchased Taurus as a duty weapon. Even Brazilian PDs have gone Glock over Taurus.

Bottom Line- is your life and those you love worth 150.00 more? Easy choice for me OKS, maybe not for you.

The Taurus G3C average pricing: $279
Glock 43X average pricing $529.00

I have found a couple of websites listing the G3C at $240 and the G43X at $430. I wouldn't trust either one of those sketchy sites. That's a $250 dollar difference my friend.

What I think is funny is, I'm a Glock fanboy, just like you. I would love for him to spend the money and choose a G43X.
But,

1. If he didn't want to spend the money on one of the big three?

2. And you weren't trying to argue with me, just because it's me? ;)

3. Here are some other, budget friendly guns that are still quality, dependable pistols for carry and self-defense.

Taurus $290-$310
Ruger $310-$330
Canik $330-$350
IWI Masada $360-$400
S&W SD $290-$310 (it's not the more expensive Shield, but it's still a S&W ) :)
Kahr $320-$340
EAA Witness Pavona $330-$350

For those who can't afford one of the big three; and they want a new pistol and not a used pistol, what do you suggest? Surely not a Highpoint? What do all of the other pistol manufacturers, who are not Glock, Sig and S&W do to survive, since they are not up to your approval? :)

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes it is.

No sir, you just ignored the subtleties in his posts. For example; did you happen to notice when he said he got to hold most of the pistols except for the Taurus? Did you notice, when he said, he held and liked the G43X, he was still 'leaning' toward the Taurus G3C because it's dimensions closely matched the G43X?

So while he clarified he is open to all brands, he clearly stated in the thread and it's title, his interest in the Taurus line and can it fulfill his personal needs as well as some of the more costlier brands? Him also clarifying, he is a Christian Minister who isn't rolling in money, seems to align with wanting a reputable budget pistol brand and not one of the top three?

And while he said, he knows one needs to spend money to get quality, He also said; "I'm also not opposed to buying Taurus if it's a trustworthy brand and will do what I want it to do."

Cherry pick? What part of his posts telling us, that he has already, held every one of the top brands except for the Taurus, but he still is considering the Taurus do you not understand sir?

You also consider yourself to be a gunfighter? or at least a man who is really, really, really good at it? He is a humble Christian Minister sir, not a Brazillian police officer as your links suggest? He just wants an excellent, budget minded pistol to either have in the home or for carry. I just YouTubed the Taurus G3C and Taurus G3C vs G43X and vs Sig P365. While no one is saying it's better, the consensus of the whole are not saying it's junk either and it's a perfectly acceptable pistol in quality for the money. That's exactly what he wanted to know? Is the Taurus worth it? I say yes, so do many others.

I get it sir, you consider yourself the tip of the spear, but only you are saying they are junk?

The Taurus G3C average pricing: $279
Glock 43X average pricing $529.00

I have found a couple of websites listing the G3C at $240 and the G43X at $430. I wouldn't trust either one of those sketchy sites. That's a $250 dollar difference my friend.

What I think is funny is, I'm a Glock fanboy, just like you. I would love for him to spend the money and choose a G43X.
But,

1. If he didn't want to spend the money on one of the big three?

2. And you weren't trying to argue with me, just because it's me? ;)

3. Here are some other, budget friendly guns that are still quality, dependable pistols for carry and self-defense.

Taurus $290-$310
Ruger $310-$330
Canik $330-$350
IWI Masada $360-$400
S&W SD $290-$310 (it's not the more expensive Shield, but it's still a S&W ) :)
Kahr $320-$340
EAA Witness Pavona $330-$350

For those who can't afford one of the big three; and they want a new pistol and not a used pistol, what do you suggest? Surely not a Highpoint? What do all of the other pistol manufacturers, who are not Glock, Sig and S&W do to survive, since they are not up to your approval? :)
I must say, my wife loves my friend's Canik. I much prefer it's trigger to any other semiautomatic pistoles I have had the pleasure of shooting. But that's just me. And it came in a nice hard shell case with one of those thumb savers for filling the things up that hold the boolits.

Ya really have to shoot some guns though, rent some at a range. And go more than once.

OkieStubble

I must say, my wife loves my friend's Canik. I much prefer it's trigger to any other semiautomatic pistoles I have had the pleasure of shooting. But that's just me. And it came in a nice hard shell case with one of those thumb savers for filling the things up that hold the boolits.

Ya really have to shoot some guns though, rent some at a range. And go more than once.

I agree. I have shot the full sized and compact models of Canik, great pistol! :)

FarmerTan

I agree. I have shot the full sized and compact models of Canik, great pistol! :)
I was shocked at how it fit my hand, how it performed... I even think it's purty. It also had two mags and an adjustable grip. This was 2019? maybe? I think he got it for $400. I should have bought one then.

OkieStubble

I was shocked at how it fit my hand, how it performed... I even think it's purty. It also had two mags and an adjustable grip. This was 2019? maybe? I think he got it for $400. I should have bought one then.

$400? Sounds like he paid a bit too much? The Canik is like a Glock with a 1911 grip angle. :)

I never meant to start an argument, and I appreciate all of your insights. :). To add fuel to the flame...
  • Yes, I'm open to all brands, and that means the Glocks/Sigs ($$$) and the Taurus/Caniks ($$) if it's worth the extra dollars.
  • But I'm also a frugal person and if I can find value in a mid-tier line, I do lean that direction.
  • I'm a natural-born contrarian. ;). So conversations about lesser known brands always interests me. When everybody else was running Windows and Mac, I was running Linux. When everybody else in the US was purchasing a Martin or Taylor guitar, I purchased a Larrivee made in Canada. I just love to research the heck outta of stuff and find the perfect fit for me whether that's the mainstream or not (and often that is driven by seeking to find quality at lesser prices).

OkieStubble

I never meant to start an argument, and I appreciate all of your insights. :). To add fuel to the flame...
  • Yes, I'm open to all brands, and that means the Glocks/Sigs ($$$) and the Taurus/Caniks ($$) if it's worth the extra dollars.
  • But I'm also a frugal person and if I can find value in a mid-tier line, I do lean that direction.
  • I'm a natural-born contrarian. ;). So conversations about lesser known brands always interests me. When everybody else was running Windows and Mac, I was running Linux. When everybody else in the US was purchasing a Martin or Taylor guitar, I purchased a Larrivee made in Canada. I just love to research the heck outta of stuff and find the perfect fit for me whether that's the mainstream or not (and often that is driven by seeking to find quality at lesser prices).

You didn't start an argument bro. He always does this with me. It ain't the first, probably won't be the last. I don't know why he just doesn't pm me and tell me he likes me? I'm happily married though... It would never work between us. ;)

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Turkey! When you're right, you're right. :)
I'm not claiming all the Turkish firearms are fantastic but they do seem to make an inordinate spectrum of firearms that simply work and work well.

BUT, and it's a BIG but ...

I've also found really really strange examples of problems and in areas where I can't really think of any reason there might be a problem.

Consider my Girsan MC1911 C XLV.

It's a Davidson exclusive Commander size 1911.

MC-1911-C-XLV-left.jpg

Pretty straight forward although it did come with a full length thin flat spring style guide rod.

MC-1911-C-XLV-guide.jpg

Still fairly standard stuff.

Then the barrel bushing broke sending the recoil spring end cap to Infinity & Beyond.

Girsan-Bushing.jpg

Granted that's a really unusual failure and since it's a full length guide rod I couldn't use the old empty case as a replacement end cap but still not a major issue. After all, 1911 bushing and end caps are pretty standard; three OD for bushing and two ID for end caps.

That's what I thought.

Looking through my store of pieces parts I found lots of bushings and even both diameter end caps; but not one of my bushings would fit in the frame. The Girsan barrel bushing is not just shorter than any I own, it is also .014 smaller.

Come on Girsan. Of all the possible non-standard 1911 pieces parts possible you chose a barrel bushing?

EAA did send me a replacement barrel bushing and it is now on its way to Thunder Mountain Custom to get a tool stainless steel replacement made.

Mikhou

The difference with your example is that when you being “contrarian” and buying your Larrivee, that guitar was as good as as Taylor or Gibson, simply not as well known at the time.

Nobody is saying that a Taurus or a Canik is as good as a Glock in terms of quality and ability to get magazines, holsters, OEM consumable parts like springs etc. The best case consensus is that they are “good enough” and “good for the money”.

That is simply not a space I want to be in nor do I recommend to first time buyers who want a serious defensive tool.

If this is going to be a plinker or a range toy, buy whatever you like.

Nobody who has carried a gun regularly for the last 20 + years (like OKS and me) if they had the choice, would pick a Taurus or a Canik over a Glock/SW/Sig if they could only take one gun to the hills, never to return. Nobody who is anybody in the US has ever fielded dozens of Taurus and Canik over the big three for issue.

Almost as good, close enough, good enough, good for the money etc all simply ARE NOT.

Vis a Vis me and OKS- He is spot on, it is not the first time and will likely be the last time. I suspect it comes across a bit more harshly in the written word that it would if were were chatting up over our third cup of coffee at the diner.

While we go back and forth, I am sure we could take a meal together and I am sure that we would loan/give each other tools/ammo/gear if we were in a class together and one of us had an issue.

I fully acknowledge when I am at the edge of my lane in my postings here on a variety of topics. This is not one of those times.

A more nuanced approach follows:

If you are 1000% sure you are going to shoot this gun a hundred rounds and then put it in the sock drawer for an annual session of 50 rounds thereafter-you will probably be ok with any gun recommended to date.

If however, you are going to go to a CCW class and any training thereafter and your round count goes up, guns outside the big three discussed here (Glock/Sig/SW) have a habit of pooping the bed at the most in opportune times. There are other brands not discussed to date i.e. HK/Beretta that tend to run like the big three mentioned as well.

Let us know what you do and why you did it.

OkieStubble

James Yeager was awesome! God rest his soul.

Here is his 10,000 round test on the Taurus G2C. Pretty impressive for a pistol that DOJ says is only good for 100 rounds and then stick it in a sock drawer. :)

Part:1

Part:2

Part:3

@mikhou If and when you put 10,000 rounds thru your Taurus, if that is what you choose? Holla at your boy; and I will buy it from you for the price you paid for it when new, as long as you send me the box it came in with it, along with the added unlimited lifetime warranty. :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've owned a few guns in my lifetime and shot a few more that were not my own and own and still shoot a couple Taurus.

I'd trust and in fact do trust the products coming out of Taurus as my carried self defense hand gun.

OkieStubble

I've owned a few guns in my lifetime and shot a few more that were not my own and own and still shoot a couple Taurus.

I'd trust and in fact do trust the products coming out of Taurus as my carried self defense hand gun.
Taurus of old had a pretty bad reputation, but modern Taurus does not. SHFT? No. But there are lots of pistol brands I wouldn't carry for SHFT. Including modern Sig and S&W semi-autos. Sig of old? 226? Hell yeah. S&W revolvers? another hell yeah.

Glock and HK are probably, the only SHFT ready imo. Self-Defense? Completely different story. Of course, if money wasn't an option, I would choose Glock and then the other two of the big three. But if money, affordability and budget was my perimeters?

And the big three were just not an option? There are many brand options that open up and become available. The Taurus line of pistol models are engineered and designed for carry and self defense. Not range time and plinking. Taurus didn't manufacture them to be small, thin, lightweight, high capacity for range plinking. They were designed to be carried and used in self defense.

Many decades ago, Taurus's reputation was the unanimous reputation by most everyone except a minority of outliers who insisted they were good when they were actually awful.

Now, Taurus has a unanimous reputation for being of efficient quality for dependable accuracy and reliability for self-defense. There are only a small minority, who say different. Some people have trouble of living in the past and not admitting to and accepting the modern realities in which we live, I dunno? :)

Taurus is definitely not a Glock. But neither is Sig or S&W. :)

:popc:

Looking at Academy, the price difference is about $110 between a Taurus GX4 and a Glock 43. Sure percentage wise that's a big difference in cost. Dollar wise, it ain't that much. There is a long list of why the Glock may be a better choice and only a reason or three why the Taurus may be a better choice. I'd get the Glock.....and no, I am not a Glock fan boy.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So I am far from tip of the spear but I LOVE good guns and have Nighthawks, STIs, Sigs (WC/Grayguns worked), Glocks, Tri-Arcs, Vudoos, Rugers, Walthers, FNs, and TacSols. A veritable laundry list. Looking a Sig P229 Legion,a B&T, another WC P320 (Gotta have all the colors right @OkieStubble? :lol: ) and a Shadow systems MR920 Elite right now. I also have Taurus' and the GX4 is my go to carry gun. It has given me zero trouble in that it has gone bang every time and hits center of mass. Neither has the Glock (don't like the grip angle but that is on me and not a disqualifier) or the Sigs. Here's the deal... They are all reliable in my mind from my testing regimen. It's going to come down to which one fits you the best. I would be scared to have any of them pointed at me!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

So I am far from tip of the spear but I LOVE good guns and have Nighthawks, STIs, Sigs (WC/Grayguns worked), Glocks, Tri-Arcs, Vudoos, Rugers, Walthers, FNs, and TacSols. A veritable laundry list. Looking a Sig P229 Legion,a B&T, another WC P320 (Gotta have all the colors right @OkieStubble? :lol: ) and a Shadow systems MR920 Elite right now. I also have Taurus' and the GX4 is my go to carry gun. It has given me zero trouble in that it has gone bang every time and hits center of mass. Neither has the Glock (don't like the grip angle but that is on me and not a disqualifier) or the Sigs. Here's the deal... They are all reliable in my mind from my testing regimen. It's going to come down to which one fits you the best. I would be scared to have any of them pointed at me!
Well said.

Top Bottom