What's new

Newbie to CCW - Opinions on Taurus GX4

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Acquisition is pretty straightforward. But making the first holster you get work?
Not so much. The first holster for the new and inexperienced does have a better chance working at first, temporarily.

But the more we learn and know? The pickier and more selective we tend to get about the smaller intricate details, of the working relationship between our hands, pistols and the holsters we ‘thought’ we wanted; turns out to not be so.

This inevitably of fact, has personally led me and many others, to send many back for a refund or to the box of shame.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The box of shame is inevitable. :)
I will likely have one when I get a 1911. Not sure whether I will want 4 o’clock carry or 6. If I pick 6 I would want a left handed holster- just seems easier to grab that way in that position. So, a left and right Kydex until I find what I like, then order a leather one.

OkieStubble

I will likely have one when I get a 1911. Not sure whether I will want 4 o’clock carry or 6. If I pick 6 I would want a left handed holster- just seems easier to grab that way in that position. So, a left and right Kydex until I find what I like, then order a leather one.

You’re very perceptive. SOB right handed is better with a left handed holster, if the holster isn’t specifically designed for SOB.

There are a few ‘do it all’ holsters out there, aiwb, 4’o’clock, sob and cross draw, but they’re usually not very good at any of those positions.

I know I eventually want a couple of shoulder holsters for my Springfield 1911 and my Ruger .357. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The box of shame is inevitable. :)

I must be an anomaly. The only holster I have that I don't need is one I got at my LGS for a class I took with my VP9. An Alien Gear holster I was waiting on got lost in the mail, and I bought something cheap just to make due. As it turns out, my Alien Gear holster arrived the morning of the class, so I didn't even need to use the cheap one. To my credit though, I did tons of research before trying out Bravo Concealment, and ultimately settled on that brand.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You’re very perceptive. SOB right handed is better with a left handed holster, if the holster isn’t specifically designed for SOB.

There are a few ‘do it all’ holsters out there, aiwb, 4’o’clock, sob and cross draw, but they’re usually not very good at any of those positions.

I know I eventually want a couple of shoulder holsters for my Springfield 1911 and my Ruger .357. :)
Gonna need a Miami Vice jacket for that shoulder holster to make it official. :)

OkieStubble

I must be an anomaly. The only holster I have that I don't need is one I got at my LGS for a class I took with my VP9. An Alien Gear holster I was waiting on got lost in the mail, and I bought something cheap just to make due. As it turns out, my Alien Gear holster arrived the morning of the class, so I didn't even need to use the cheap one. To my credit though, I did tons of research before trying out Bravo Concealment, and ultimately settled on that brand.

I don’t know about being an anomaly, people get struck by lightning, they win the mega lottery… etc? :)

Hey, guys. I'm completely new to CCW. I'm taking my class next week and will borrow a gun for it. I've been around firearms all of my life, but not pistols as much. In doing some research on CCW pistols, there are 3 9mms that seem to keep coming up - the Sig P365, the Springfield Hellcat, and the Taurus GX4. (The Glock 43 is also mentioned, but these beat it in capacity.). The Taurus is a newer gun, but it seems to get rave reviews. Any thoughts?

(One other question if I can slip it in. Are the Palmetto State Armory-branded guns of good quality? I'm not trying to be cheap. Just wondering if anybody has an opinion.). Thanks.
I can't speak to any of these options from personal experience, but I own three Taurus pistols and would not hesitate to buy the GX4 if I needed a compact carry pistol. I have a Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro .45acp and like it very much; it's been 100% reliable, is soft-shooting for a .45, and is deadly accurate at self-defense distances. The Millennium Pro line morphed into the G2/G3 series.

Last edited:
After handling (in the store) the Glock 43x, I am leaning towards the G3C rather than the GX4; although, I have read that many people prefer the trigger on the GX4 to the G3C. I still need to shoot the Glock, Sig, M&P, and Taurus, but I liked the feel in the hand of the slightly longer grip on the 43x, and the measurements seem to correspond better with the G3C vs. the GX4. I'll post an update once a decision is made.

OkieStubble

After handling (in the store) the Glock 43x, I am leaning towards the G3C rather than the GX4; although, I have read that many people prefer the trigger on the GX4 to the G3C. I still need to shoot the Glock, Sig, M&P, and Taurus, but I liked the feel in the hand of the slightly longer grip on the 43x, and the measurements seem to correspond better with the G3C vs. the GX4. I'll post an update once a decision is made.

I think you are making a very sound decision in choosing the G3C over the GX4 for your first pistol. When you hear stuff like the GX4 trigger is better, we have to put in context what that means.

Does it mean the trigger in the G3C is crap? Better in a personal review of an individual could just mean, less creep? All striker fired pistols have some creep? It could just mean, some reviewer thought it had a shorter reset. So? Reset is only a concern for target shooters, not self defense shooters in self defense or combat ranges? When your at the range plinking away at targets? Play with your reset.

The G3C model, is Taurus’ upgraded model over the G2C which Taurus upgraded the trigger and ergonomics. Also, the thing about most striker fired triggers regardless of the brand is, after 500 or so rounds thru it, that trigger is going to begin to smooth out on its own and just get better.

If you don’t want to put 500 rounds thru it for a smoother trigger? Then sit around the house and just dry fire your empty pistol and it will still smooth out. You can dry fire a striker fired pistol with no troubles. Do that with a hammer fired? You might have trouble.

Once you have owned and shot your G3C for a long while and you still don’t like the trigger? Get online and purchase Galloway’s aftermarket trigger for the Taurus called the ‘Operis’ Trigger.

Many excellent reviews by G3C shooters and doesn’t cost a lot of money. But I think you will be fine with the stock trigger. While you are new pistol owner and should NOT attempt to do this on your own, I took my brothers G3C and detail stripped his pistol and gave it a .25 Cent Trigger Job. His stock trigger is a very smooth shooter. If you have a local gunsmith, they can probably do this for you, for very little money.

Lot’s of options and things you can do to improve any trigger on any brand of pistol, but I think you will be just fine. :)

Overall height
G3C-5.10 inches
GX4-4.40 inches
G43x-5.04 inches

I would humbly submit you like how the 43x "feels" because it has the longest grip (I say that because although its height measurement is slightly shorter than than the G3C, the taurus appears to carry some of it height in a higher/wider slide)

To repeat and at the expense of being a bit snarky, the qualitative difference and availability of gear (sights, holsters, mag pouches, extra mags, replacement internal parts made by the factory and quality aftermarket vendors etc.) for the Glock makes it a clear choice over any Taurus.

If you cannot bring yourself to buy a Glock, then a pivot to the Sig P365 series or even the SW Shield Series would be better for the above stated reasons.

OkieStubble

Overall height
G3C-5.10 inches
GX4-4.40 inches
G43x-5.04 inches

I would humbly submit you like how the 43x "feels" because it has the longest grip (I say that because although its height measurement is slightly shorter than than the G3C, the taurus appears to carry some of it height in a higher/wider slide)

To repeat and at the expense of being a bit snarky, the qualitative difference and availability of gear (sights, holsters, mag pouches, extra mags, replacement internal parts made by the factory and quality aftermarket vendors etc.) for the Glock makes it a clear choice over any Taurus.

If you cannot bring yourself to buy a Glock, then a pivot to the Sig P365 series or even the SW Shield Series would be better for the above stated reasons.

I think he is considering the Taurus line of pistols because it’s more affordable and in reach for him financially?

If this is not his purpose, I think he has learned from this thread that the Glock or Sig would be better options in quality and brand reputation.

But at the expense of sounding a bit snarky, I would humbly submit, that if he isn’t independently wealthy, a pistol brand snob or a ‘self inspired gunfighter?’

if Taurus is what he wants and can afford and is looking at? We should support his decision and build his confidence in being just fine with purchasing a Taurus as a beginning new pistol owner. Just my humble opinion.

Our news channels are not flooded with reports of hundreds of Taurus owners dying because their pistols failed them during a self defense situation.

Modern Taurus is a good brand and they back up their products with an unlimited lifetime warranty for a reason.

Ymmv. :)

Last edited:
I think he is considering the Taurus line of pistols because it’s more affordable and in reach for him financially?

If this is not his purpose, I think he has learned from this thread that the Glock or Sig would be better options in quality and brand reputation.

But at the expense of sounding a bit snarky, I would humbly submit, that if he isn’t independently wealthy, a pistol brand snob or a ‘self inspired gunfighter?’

if Taurus is what he wants and can afford and is looking at? We should support his decision and build his confidence in being just fine with purchasing a Taurus as a beginning new pistol owner. Just my humble opinion.

Our news channels are not flooded with reports of hundreds of Taurus owners dying because their pistols failed them during a self defense situation.

Modern Taurus is a good brand and they back up their products with an unlimited lifetime warranty for a reason.

Ymmv. :)
To clarify where I am coming from, I'll say that I'm open to all brands. I've hunted all of my life and shot shotguns and rifles since I was 7 years old. Now (thinking and doing math in my head) 42 years later, I'm interested in purchasing a handgun. I've been involved in Christian ministry for the last 20 years so no I'm not rolling in $$. :). However, I also appreciate that sometimes you pay more the first because in the long run it's cheaper to buy quality. I'm also not opposed to buying Taurus if it's a trustworthy brand and will do what I want it to do. Yes, I want to get out and shoot to ensure that I am proficient and responsible when I carry. No, I don't plan to get into shooting sports and shooting every weekend. So....Glock, Sig, S&W, Taurus, I'm wide open. The reason that I mentioned Taurus in the title is because I know that these other brands have a strong following, and I wanted to get feedback from real people about Taurus.

Thanks for all of the good info so far.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
To clarify where I am coming from, I'll say that I'm open to all brands. I've hunted all of my life and shot shotguns and rifles since I was 7 years old. Now (thinking and doing math in my head) 42 years later, I'm interested in purchasing a handgun. I've been involved in Christian ministry for the last 20 years so no I'm not rolling in $$. :). However, I also appreciate that sometimes you pay more the first because in the long run it's cheaper to buy quality. I'm also not opposed to buying Taurus if it's a trustworthy brand and will do what I want it to do. Yes, I want to get out and shoot to ensure that I am proficient and responsible when I carry. No, I don't plan to get into shooting sports and shooting every weekend. So....Glock, Sig, S&W, Taurus, I'm wide open. The reason that I mentioned Taurus in the title is because I know that these other brands have a strong following, and I wanted to get feedback from real people about Taurus.

If you are doing Christian ministry korreckly friend you most certainly ain't rolling in money. Taurus's reputation is climbing. They've always had a great warranty, I BELIEVE! But I might be wrong about that...

I'm partial to revolvers, but if you AREN'T then Glock is the way to go, but possibly used? Any friends willing to make you a good deal on one? Glock is just ugly to me, kinda like a Hummer compared to a Cadillac.

Same with revolvers: possibly buy a used Ruger? The problem with revolvers is they tend to hold their value, hard to buy a used one for much of a savings. Unless you got a blind rich uncle that you can either steal a gun or the money to buy one from, a new Taurus revolver would be my choice.

Remember this: the more you shoot a gun the better the trigger gets, because YOU get better at knowing the gun.

I don't know if Taurus makes a 9mm with moon clips or not, but that is what I'd look at: handgun loads are crazy expensive and hard to find. 9mm is cheap(er).

OkieStubble

Thank you for the clarification.

For the purposes of use that you describe, you won’t go wrong with whatever choice you make. Including Taurus.

:)

"I think he is considering the Taurus line of pistols because it’s more affordable and in reach for him financially?"

1. The OP chimed in and stated he "is open to all brands" and by extension the costs associated thereof.

"if Taurus is what he wants and can afford and is looking at? We should support his decision and build his confidence in being just fine with purchasing a Taurus as a beginning new pistol owner. Just my humble opinion."

2. See # 1 re affordability. Moreover, sometimes there is simply a price to admission. If a new Taurus is 350 and the Glock is 500. Then maybe you should be looking at a used Glock or S & W for same 350 as Taurus is simply an inferior product to Glock, Sig and Smith and Wesson.

"Our news channels are not flooded with reports of hundreds of Taurus owners dying because their pistols failed them during a self defense situation."

3. Complete so what. Odds v. Stakes and all that. The odds are that if you do not sell drugs, buy drugs, date the partner(s) of others and do not do stupid things with stupid people in stupid place and you are home before 2200 during the week and midnight on the weekends you will, statistically, never, "need" a firearm for defensive purposes. Yet and still here we are owning what we own.

"Modern Taurus is a good brand and they back up their products with an unlimited lifetime warranty for a reason."

4. Modern Taurus, at this moment in time, is an barely adequate brand at absolute best and is offering an unlimited warranty in an effort to capture market share just like Hyundai and KIA did when they made a decidedly inferior product as compared to Honda/Mazda/Toyota.

5. Can you walk into a local gun store and buy recoil springs, night sights, strikers and other various OEM fire control component for a Taurus like you can for a Glock? how about a quality holster that will not collapse when the pistol is presented and will retain the gun under a modicum of activity... Not so much.

6. Good enough is rarely so. Those of use who have spent the time/talent /treasure figuring that out should be sharing that hard earned knowledge.

7. Buy Nice or Buy Twice. Tools, shoes, clothes, gear you bet your life on i.e. guns. That does not mean you cant buy used, use credit card points, sell stuff you have you no longer use, trade things etc.

OkieStubble

"1. The OP chimed in and stated he "is open to all brands" and by extension the costs associated thereof."

"7. Buy Nice or Buy Twice. Tools, shoes, clothes, gear you bet your life on i.e. guns. That does not mean you cant buy used, use credit card points, sell stuff you have you no longer use, trade things etc."

Really? Sounds really desperate? Just in order to not get a perfectly fine, functioning Taurus? Why are you sooooo serious all the time? :)

8. ? Rob, steal or sell drugs, but you must have one of the big three?

Your premise is flawed: The Taurus is not necessarily a perfectly fine, functioning firearm.

You are the one who brought up cost before the op set the record straight.

Cherry pick quote much?…The OP also said:

“To clarify where I am coming from, I'll say that I'm open to all brands.”

and

“However, I also appreciate that sometimes you pay more the first because in the long run it's cheaper to buy quality.”

Desperate no. Recycling/Upcycling/repurposing -absolutely. In the past three years, I have sold hundreds of dollars worth of the intersection of quality/value gear to buy top notch stuff across the board. Some of it found at a thrift store, some off eBay, some brand new on line and in stores, most on sale, some full retail.

I am “serious” because buying marginal to *** gear when better can usually be for the same used and not that much more new is often an avoidable mistake.

Name a publicly funded first responder entity in the US that has purchased Taurus as a duty weapon. Even Brazilian PDs have gone Glock over Taurus.

Bottom Line- is your life and those you love worth 150.00 more? Easy choice for me OKS, maybe not for you.

Top Bottom