What's new

Newbie to CCW - Opinions on Taurus GX4

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Speaking of ...

Canik, Girsan, Stoegar, SAR and Tisas are both ISO 9000 and NATO certified manufactures; two fairly high and stringent standards.

I'm not sure about other Turkish firearm makers.

Last edited:
I will echo the excellent advice of what other members have posted.

I can say, I owned an original P365 for a year with about 2,500 rounds thru it before I sold it. Great pistol for the most part in every way, reliable accurate, small light and handy.

But I had a small problem with the mag sticking to the bottom of my hand when I wanted it to drop free on a speed reload. The only thing I didn’t like about it, so I went Glock 43X instead and have been quite satisfied.

However, there are several others who don’t have that problem and admittedly, I have Glock Fan Boy Disease.
I’m saying this, if I could go back in time and Sig had their other models of 365 available?

Like the XL or the newer P365X? I think the P365X with the smaller slide and barrel of the original 365, but combined with the bit longer grip frame of the 365 XL?

I bet I had the opportunity to of had that then? I wouldn’t own. G43X. :)

The Springfield Hellcat is a lot like the Original Sig P365, too small of a grip. However, they now have several models of frame lengths and sizes to choose from.

I have done quite a bit of reading and research on PSA’s Glock clones. :) they haven’t been out long enough to get a good assessment on quality or reliability and accuracy, but from what I can tell, they get the same mixed reviews their AR’s get.

While no one says any bad reviews, there are great reviews and just as many reviews that say they’re just ‘meh’.

But in saying all of this, it really does go back to the great advice everyone else has already said; ya gotta get your hands on as many as you can before you purchase anything and find out your personal likes and preferences.

What’s the saying? One in the hand is better then two in the bush? :)
The real bummer here is you could have dropped your existing fire control unit right into an X/XL grip frame and been all set. I did that, then I turned on my brain and replaced that yet again with a Wilson X size grip frame. The texture is MUCH more aggressive, I like it even more.

All that said I have a gently/barely used 43x MOS on layaway. My next task was to sent the 365 slide out to get optic cut, so I'm working on convincing myself buying this other pistol saved me that money. 🤣🤣

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The real bummer here is you could have dropped your existing fire control unit right into an X/XL grip frame and been all set. I did that, then I turned on my brain and replaced that yet again with a Wilson X size grip frame. The texture is MUCH more aggressive, I like it even more.

All that said I have a gently/barely used 43x MOS on layaway. My next task was to sent the 365 slide out to get optic cut, so I'm working on convincing myself buying this other pistol saved me that money. 🤣🤣

When I had my Sig P365, the ‘X, XL or even the Wilson grip’, hadn’t been invented yet. I had sold my P365 and owned my G43X at least a year, maybe more before there was an XL option.

@OkieStubble , just wanted to give you an update. My CCW permit came in, and after a lot of back and forth, I have decided to go with the Taurus GX4. A neighbor has his FFL and it should be in within the next week. Now...the debate about holsters. 🤦‍♂️😂

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , just wanted to give you an update. My CCW permit came in, and after a lot of back and forth, I have decided to go with the Taurus GX4. A neighbor has his FFL and it should be in within the next week. Now...the debate about holsters. 🤦‍♂️😂

Congratulations! The GX4 was your first initial leanings when you began this thread. Gotta respect a man that knows what he wants. :)

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Don’t forget to post us pics with your choice of carry holster when you get it?

We have seen a GX4 before, but we haven’t seen your GX4? ;). Maybe let us know your first impressions about it after shooting it in our Gun Range thread. :)

Congratulations! The GX4 was your first initial leanings when you began this thread. Gotta respect a man that knows what he wants. :)

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Don’t forget to post us pics with your choice of carry holster when you get it?

We have seen a GX4 before, but we haven’t seen your GX4? ;). Maybe let us know your first impressions about it after shooting it in our Gun Range thread. :)
Here's what I am thinking on holsters. At first, I was going to go leather because it seems more comfortable. However, since I'm primarily thinking appendix carry, and I saw a video or 2 of leather folding in on itself and someone getting themselves shot in the nether regions, I'm thinking that kydex/boltaron is the way to go. After looking at everything, the 3 that most interest me are the Tulster Oath (based upon your recommendation of Tulster in another thread and the Oath is the only model offered for the GX4), an IWB by Concealment Express, or an IWB by CYA Supply. I'd like to try a claw or a wing attachment to reduce printing so after those considerations the prices are $75, $60, and $60, respectively. So really no great differences there. Any thoughts about any of these companies? They all get great reviews online, but you never know what to believe online. Thanks.

OkieStubble

Here's what I am thinking on holsters. At first, I was going to go leather because it seems more comfortable. However, since I'm primarily thinking appendix carry, and I saw a video or 2 of leather folding in on itself and someone getting themselves shot in the nether regions, I'm thinking that kydex/boltaron is the way to go. After looking at everything, the 3 that most interest me are the Tulster Oath (based upon your recommendation of Tulster in another thread and the Oath is the only model offered for the GX4), an IWB by Concealment Express, or an IWB by CYA Supply. I'd like to try a claw or a wing attachment to reduce printing so after those considerations the prices are $75, $60, and $60, respectively. So really no great differences there. Any thoughts about any of these companies? They all get great reviews online, but you never know what to believe online. Thanks.

Holsters are probably a more individual preference and taste and a ymmv thing, then even guns or razors. One size, brand or shape definitely doesn’t fit all. A few get lucky or blessed on the very first time up to bat, but there are many who have a whole box of holsters they don’t use because of swings ending in strikes when they get up to bat. Some people aren’t very picky or hard to please and they seem to find their holsters quite easily.

I’m very particular, so I can find a holster that might cover 4 of the 5 things or measures that I consider to be important, but if it misses on just 1 single thing? It’ll stick under my saddle like a cockleburr and drive me crazy and get me bucking like a cantankerous old mule. :)

I have no experience with two of the brands on your list, but I do love my Tulster AIWB. Tulster doesn’t provide a wing attachment or ‘claw’ but their unique design for me anyway, keeps the grip of the pistol tucked in towards my belly button, better than any other holster I have ever tried without a claw.

I bought my wife a very nice expensive aiwb holster with a sidecar attachment for an extra magazine from StealthGearUSA for her Glock 43. Very high quality, very expensive. She loves it! I got the same for my G43X…. Couldn’t stand it! :)

Sent it back in the mail along with several others before I came across the Tulster. What’s weird is, looking at them all online before I purchased any of them, I would have sworn by just looking at them, the Tulster would be the one that didn’t work for me…. And it’s the most comfortable, secure, consistent and well fitting kydex I ever did see. :)

So, experimenting and the process of elimination is probably going to be the best teacher. However, in saying all this, your lack of experience in carrying may well give you a better chance in liking the first holster you trust your gut in picking.

My experience with carry, has made me too picky, spoiled and Whiny over the years… ;)

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have holsters from both Concealment Express & CYA Supply and while both were relatively inexpensive they have worked well.

OkieStubble

I have holsters from both Concealment Express & CYA Supply and while both were relatively inexpensive they have worked well.
Here is the word of experience from another old GOAT.

And when I say goat, I mean “greatest of all time.” ;)

This is all new to me and I never used a kydex holster before. So I ordered the CYA because their return policy is so generous and because they were offering 15% off. I also ordered the Tuckwing add on to give it a shot. If I like it, then yeah. If it don't then I send it back and consider other options. Thanks for the input.

I received and have shot my Taurus GX4. I am very surprised at how little recoil it has for such a small gun. I'm very impressed with it so far with only minimal rounds through it. Looking forward to putting it through its paces.

I also decided to go with a CYA holster with a wing attachment. It seems to do the job. Looking forward to training and learning with these new tools.

Top Bottom