What's new

Newbie to B&B and to SE Shaving

Hello all.

I am new to this forum - perhaps 2 weeks or so. I've been a DE shaver for 10 years now.

I just want to say thanks to everyone here, my wallet is now damaged thanks to everyone here being an enabler for spending - yes everyone - thanks to the purchase of new razors and soaps. I will deal with newer after-shaves later. I feel the Proraso pre-shave is all I need for now, but may revisit later whenever I feel my wallet become more stable. Thank you everyone for being an enabler.

I purchased my first two SEs razors - which uses Solingen steel - thanks to a seller who made a pretty good offer. Its not a TI or an Ralf Ault, but it should get me started while I wait for someone willing to sell theirs for a pretty decent price.

So now the question comes in - what strop do I get ? I see everyone highly rates strops from Tony Miller and recommends starting with his starter-strop for us newbies. Tony Miller has strops for newbies for $50-55. Once the stropping technique is honed in, graduate up to the more premium strops which Tony Miller has at $85 for his premium strops. OK, I figure to learn from the masters here and go with Tony Miller at least for starting. And since Tony has premium strops, just stick with his line of strops for the premiums. I dont think I need to look any further. I figure I will make a one-time purchase for both and start using the strop for beginners since there is a chance a newbie will butcher it, and I dont think I will be any different.

So I was thinking for the cloth side to go with linen. What do you guys think ?

Also wondering what sort of oil(s) do I need to purchase to go with the strop, and where do I apply it ? Leather side ? Cloth side ? On the blade ? Hey, I gotta learn from the masters here.

I see others here recommend strop hardware options. What do you guys think about the hardware options that should be applied to the strop ? I figure something that allows me to easily reverse the strop from cloth to leather side.

Also I see strop paddles as well which look pretty neat. Is that a recommendation as well ? If one goes this route, are there options to allow a linen or leather be changed if it is needed when going with a paddle option ?

Pros/cons when it comes to paddle strops vs. traditional hanging strops ?

Thanks everyone !!!

And a special thank you to all you show-offs who made me spend money on new toys, damaging my wallet.

In my opinion you can't beat Tony's plain horsehide strops for either price or quality. I would get flax linen for the secondary, without question. It will clean the skin and soap debris off the bevel, which any cloth component will, but it also is very slightly abrasive and will bump up the keenness in a way that cotton won't.

I have one of his roughout strops, which is a soft, slow draw (I also have a slicker cowhide strop I made myself). The standard horse on the other hand is a nice, smooth feel. It all comes down to personal preference because they will both work. I like my cowhide but I like the feel of Tony's horsehide much better. Someday I'll probably buy a smooth horsehide from him to go with the roughout, based on how amazing the back of the roughout feels to the touch.

You shouldn't need to treat his strops with anything but maybe he will chime in on that.

I also owned a slightly more oiled horse at one point (gave it to my nephew) and I can say I like Tony's waaay more. And it was more expensive, not as well crafted, and only 2" wide.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
No oils needed or suggested for any of my strops at least but other makers may have their own thoughts.

Also, nearly every strop brand on the market, mine included have some sort of swivel top and independent grips, rings or handles so switching between leather and cloth is easy. Some sewn in place, others modular so components can be replaced if needed.

I just ordered the Artisan Veg Tanned Horsehide this morning because what's another $30 at this point. His strops are such a good value once you start looking around. The only decent option I found before contacting Tony is a Herold 155ri($40). There is also a new budget strop at Maggards right now that I almost bought(just listed). You also might consider asking Tony about a leather only strop as a starter then get an Artisan strop later, that is basically what I ended up with(two strops).

When I bought my first straight I thought "no way am I going to cut up my strop. I'll be careful".

Yep. Cut to shreds. Thankfully it was only a cheap one.

It shouldn't take too long to get to the point where you're safe to be let loose on a good strop though. Lots of practice and it soon becomes second nature.

When I bought my first straight I thought "no way am I going to cut up my strop. I'll be careful".

Yep. Cut to shreds. Thankfully it was only a cheap one.

It shouldn't take too long to get to the point where you're safe to be let loose on a good strop though. Lots of practice and it soon becomes second nature.
Please tell me that you cut it up because you let it loose during the flip instead of turning your wrist? Or was it X strokes, which I have no idea how to do.

While you're learning it's easy if you go slow. I think most of my mistakes happened when I tried to speed it up.

All cuts happen by pushing/pulling the razor with the edge forward, facing the direction of motion. You can do that by flipping the razor too quickly so the edge bites into the strop before you've changed direction, or by changing direction too quickly, before you flip the razor.

At some point, after a bit of practice, you just instinctively develop a feel for it.

Thaks everyone for your input. So the consensus here is Tony Miller strops. I will be placing an order in over the next few days for a beginner strop and a premium strop.

More money to be spending on shaving products. I feel like a mad-man on a mission for the perfection of his shaving quest.

Will it ever end?

Thaks everyone for your input. So the consensus here is Tony Miller strops. I will be placing an order in over the next few days for a beginner strop and a premium strop.

More money to be spending on shaving products. I feel like a mad-man on a mission for the perfection of his shaving quest.

Will it ever end?
Make sure you email, he is very helpful. If you decide to get a leather only for beginning, you will have to contact him as it's not on his site. I guess you could get that one with cotton and the premium one with flax so you have two different fabrics?

I purchased two shaving strops from Tony Miller thanks to everyones consensus regarding Tony Miller. I should have it sometime this week.

One is the Value Strop and one is the Premium Strop. I will start using the Premium Strop once I get my technique down using the value strop.

Last edited:
On a similar note.... here are the SE shavers I purchased from a forum member here....

Steel is from Solingen.
20220404_164230.jpg

Top Bottom